Radio Rumor: Houston Hot For Mallett

• Thread starter DeweyCheatem-n-Howe
  • Start date
  • To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Which devalues our pick. :mad:

I guess I hold Snead's ability to make this "rumored scenario" play to the Rams favor. I recall It was Snead maneuvering that has placed us in this wonderful position.

With two top picks up for trade with many teams making offers with much confusion just puts that much more blood in the saltwater where the experience Trade Sharks can take more advantage in the unclear bloodied water.

If Snead does not like the offers he could just throw a major sized monkey wrench by removing the best valued QB off the board with the 2nd pick & resale later @ a much higher value when he has more time & can use the added time to his advantage. Leaving those under bidding teams without....once again you Never know.

Lets just tinker some here if Bortles or Manziel is taken first leaving the Rams looking @ Jadeveon Clowney, Sammy Watkins, Jake Mathews or a Teddy Bridgewater ??Snead still has great options here no big change just one player removed from a over crowded trading exchange. Snead could still have under his control the original player the remaining trading teams wanted anyway. What written rule says a trading team can not now come up with a deal of the same value or even better that what the Texans got for this second overall pick? Is Snead able to turn a sour lemon into great sweet tasting iced lemonade

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I hope you're right Bonifay, I hope you're right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay Jrry. Let me ask you and the rest of the forum would you pick Bridgewater and let him ride the pine for a year? Or take him and try to trade Sam?

I think I would take Bridgewater and let him ride the pine for a year and then let Bradford walk in his contract year if Teddy convinces the team that he is just as good if not better. It would be five more years of contract relief. Otherwise you are locked into signing Bradford for a larger amount.

If I was Snead and Fisher I would be looking very closely at Bridgewater to see if I thought he would be better than Sam. His size would be my main concern but right now I think he looks like he could be a very good NFL Qb.

I trade Sam.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If Houston trades for Mallett, then they are very likely taking Clowney at #1. Just like they took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. Their owner has already said Clowney's locker will be right next to JJ Watt's locker. That would be a monster DL. Very scary for Andrew Luck.

If the Texan's really want Clowney, then trading down will risk losing him to the Rams or someone else. I really don't see another player that they will fall in love with if they get Mallett. So I think they have to take him at #1.

That would leave the Rams at #2 with the bargaining chip for every QB that any other team wants. Jax, Cleveland, Oak, and Minny are all good candidates to want a QB. And I think Minny is the key player at #8. They know that they can only get the QB they love in a trade up. An offer from the Vikes will drive up the price for the other teams at the top of the draft. Anyway, I think Minny is the lowest spot the Rams will go.

When all is said and done, I don't believe anyone expects the Rams to be making the pick at #2, regardless of what they get for it.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think you nailed it max.

Thanks Al.

I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff now that I'm retired. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But it makes me happy. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Silver talked about that and said they couldn't trade Sam at his current contract. What makes you think they could?

Knowledge of the cap. They can absolutely trade him. Just gotta find a taker. But the team taking him on only takes on $14 million. I know that sounds like a lot but currently that would place him at #14 in the NFL in 2014 among QBs in terms of cap hit. That would put him 1 spot above where Sanchez currently is(although he's getting cut).

His contract is tradeable. The knee injury is a greater impediment.

Alan

Legend
max living with it:
I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff now that I'm retired. My wife thinks I'm nuts. But it makes me happy. :D
She's right you know. Works for us though. :D

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Thanks Al.

Shiiiiit...I'm nowhere near retirement and spend too much time with this obsession.

Good thing my job slows down in the winter time. Though, I could probably do something more valuable sitting here at my cube...:slap:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Houston trades for Mallett, then they are very likely taking Clowney at #1. Just like they took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. Their owner has already said Clowney's locker will be right next to JJ Watt's locker. That would be a monster DL. Very scary for Andrew Luck.
Scary for anyone facing the Texans period, Texans were ranked near bottom of the NFL in sacks. Jadeveon would be a good 34 DL'er IMO. Bur their pass rush was not much help due to the fact most teams would run on them after the Texan offense was incapable of creating a lead.

If the Texan's really want Clowney, then trading down will risk losing him to the Rams or someone else. I really don't see another player that they will fall in love with if they get Mallett. So I think they have to take him at #1. l
Looks like your right max.

That would leave the Rams at #2 with the bargaining chip for every QB that any other team wants. Jax, Cleveland, Oak, and Minny are all good candidates to want a QB.
Yep!

And I think Minny is the key player at #8. They know that they can only get the QB they love in a trade up.
So True!

An offer from the Vikes will drive up the price for the other teams at the top of the draft. Anyway, I think Minny is the lowest spot the Rams will go.
Yep the value that could be obtained would rise. Vikings first two days 2014 selections have 1st#8, 2nd#40, 3rd#72, 3rd (#Seattle's), 4th #105 . High probability of a high 2015 pick. Vikings had three first rd'ers in 2013 so they do have some talented youth on the roster.

When all is said and done, I don't believe anyone expects the Rams to be making the pick at #2, regardless of what they get for it.
The removal of a DE from the list of Ram selections just takes off the board the least needed position of the Ram team...not a loss.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Knowledge of the cap. They can absolutely trade him. Just gotta find a taker. But the team taking him on only takes on $14 million. I know that sounds like a lot but currently that would place him at #14 in the NFL in 2014 among QBs in terms of cap hit. That would put him 1 spot above where Sanchez currently is(although he's getting cut).

So what do you think the Rams would get, knowing that they couldn't trade Sam until after the draft, for an expensive unproven QB with an injury history and coming off an ACL tear?

I would think it would be less than what the Niners got for Alex Smith, which was a 2nd rounder last year and a conditional 3rd or 2nd rounder this year. So maybe the Rams get a 3rd rounder for Sam plus a conditional pick. That's not much more than a compensatory pick.

If they draft Bridgewater, trading Sam won't yield much for him. You're basically kicking him to the curb and starting over. While instead, you can stick with Sam another year and use the pick to fill the roster with more talent.

Yup. You really love Bridgewater.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I like the ideal of Sam having some young stiff competition to push Sam is not a bad ideal for 2014 season myself. The knee issue will be behind him. Then Snead could make that trade decision in the off season before the 2015 season. Sam is not a UFA until 2016 there is time to go in this direction. Snead is going to draft a QB in May anyway. Rams need to be thinking on the Sam Bradford 2016 contract & if he is left to go UFA. Rams need to be in a good position @ this position.

Rams must greatly improve the OL to raise this team off the bottom of the division with Sam Bradford as your QB.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So what do you think the Rams would get, knowing that they couldn't trade Sam until after the draft, for an expensive unproven QB with an injury history and coming off an ACL tear?

I would think it would be less than what the Niners got for Alex Smith, which was a 2nd rounder last year and a conditional 3rd or 2nd rounder this year. So maybe the Rams get a 3rd rounder for Sam plus a conditional pick. That's not much more than a compensatory pick.

If they draft Bridgewater, trading Sam won't yield much for him. You're basically kicking him to the curb and starting over. While instead, you can stick with Sam another year and use the pick to fill the roster with more talent.

Too be fair, Alex Smith was traded after playing seven season's and Sam has only been in the league for four, although he has had more injury questions than Smith had, I can't help but think Sam would have to fetch more than what KC paid for Alex.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No idea. Depends on how desperate teams are that missed out on QBs in the draft.

Yup, I do. It's a team game but the QB is the most important position on the field and with an elite QB, your team will be competitive as long as he's on the field. I think Bridgewater can be elite. That says it all for me. If you don't have an elite QB and you have a shot at one, in my world, you take him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the Texans get Mallet, that feels like a good scenario for the Rams IMO.

Sure they (Texans) could trade #1 to someone for Bridgewater, but I suspect they set the price too high knowing they could add Clowney.

But, then again, who knows?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From Jeff Gordon:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_37c7cc3e-17c7-5c5b-a235-ec8f31639bea.html

Rams fans obsess over the NFL Draft more than most of their peer groups. They haven’t had much else to look forward to since the “Greatest Show on Turf” broke up.

So when Houston Texans owner Bob McNair gushed over South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Rams fans took notice. McNair, a South Carolina man himself, had this to say on the Texans website:

“He's one of these players who's a once in every 10 years kind of physical specimen that comes along. Mario Williamswas that way. I think Clowney is actually a better athlete than Mario.”

McNair gets excited thinking about what Clowney could do across from J.J. Watt. He recalled a conversation with his star defender:

“I said, 'J.J., I don't know what will happen, but if we get Clowney, we want you to instill in him the same kind of work habits that you have.' He said, 'If he's in the same room with me, then he'll have them.'”

If Houston falls for Clowney, that would put the Rams' No. 2 slot up for grabs among teams needing a quarterback.

Jacksonville at No. 3 and Cleveland at No. 4 could wait for one of the top three draft-eligible quarterbacks to fall to them. Or one of those teams could fall in love with a particular QB and opt to trade up.

The same could happen with a team picking later in the round. The quarterback evaluations have just begun in earnest.

The Rams could also have their pick of quarterbacks. Colleague Bernie Miklasz explored the Johnny ManzielOption in some detail, exciting the loss-weary fan base.

The Johnny Football Sideshow would cause quite a buzz. And it is easy to imagine him darting around NFL defenses like a more daring Russell Wilson.

Its very, very easy to imagine Manziel emerging as the consensus top QB in this draft, rising to at least the Robert Griffin III expectation level.

But Jeff Fisher got back into his comfort zone last season with a disruptive defense and a powerful running game. When he finds time to sleep, we're guessing his dreams feature three-tight end sets.

He has a quarterback and a running back. What he needs are receivers and tight ends willing to run pass routes with conviction and actually CATCH THE BALL when it comes to them.

So we’re guessing the Rams will let another team take the Johnny Football ride. Still, as Bernie notes, the possibilities do make the mind wander . . .

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
OK.. How good is this Bridgewater guy? I'm not sure I buy that Houston rumor but if true we could probably get those two first round picks from the Brown pretty easily... if they like him that much. Is Brdgewater rated higher than RG3? I'm guessing not...