R.I.P. Tony Gwinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Cancer took him at the age of 54.

Great player and great guy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This on Facebook from my daughter-in-law Ashley who does sports video editing.

"Well... This is the first "celebrity" death that I can say affects me on a personal level. Tony Gwynn was one of the few professional athletes I have ever met, and it was a wonderful meeting, too. He was so passionate about SDSU baseball. When he was signing a ball for me, despite the long line of people, when he noticed my TCU video crew shirt, he stopped for several minutes to ask me questions about what my experience filming as a student was like. He very much wanted to create a similar set-up at SDSU. I have no idea whether or not he got his wish, but he became a favorite player and person of mine from then on out. I'm horribly sad this morning to read of his passing.

Rest in peace, Mr. Padre."

beer belly

UDFA
I had the chance to meet and be on TV with Tony Gwynn when i was youngster...I made sure to wear my Dodger gear to get under his skin. He kept calling me Dodger Blue. what a nice guy...and a great hitter.

The Padres should put a 19 at the 5.5 hole in commemoration of Tony

SierraRam

Recreational User
One of the last of his kind. .338 lifetime average, 20 years with the same club. A throwback and class act to the end.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Man! Tony was a favorite growing up! RIP... :(

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
MLB.com said that the only season he didn't reach .300 was in his rookie year. I had to re-read that a few times to make sure I hadn't misunderstood because, in a 20 season career, that's incredible.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
MLB.com said that the only season he didn't reach .300 was in his rookie year. I had to re-read that a few times to make sure I hadn't misunderstood because, in a 20 season career, that's incredible.
Yep, that's how good of a hitter he was. He was also a great person. Kind of like San Diego's version of Stan Musial

TommerK

Rockin' Rams Fan
Name
Tom
Sorry I'm late to the party. This is the first I've heard of it. Very sorry to hear this, Tony was a great player and a very classy one at that. Rest in peace.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Depressing news, guy was a perennial all star and a great guy, I'm gonna miss him.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was in school in San Diego and worked at a Subway near Jack Murphy Stadium. Gwynn came in several times and was always exceptionally friendly. He would sign for anyone in the place and would joke with the people working. The first time he came in he ended up with a line of 6 or 7 people standing at his table (he was there with his wife and kids). He was smiling and chatting with people, his wife looked like she was going to pull her hair out. I finally said (despite being an 18 year old snot nosed kid) "come on folks, he is trying to eat with his family"....that pretty much cleared the people away. Before he left he came up, shook my hand and said "thanks man, that was cool".
Class guy in every way.
Had several charger players come in and a few other Padre players. Most were cool. One was a raging Dbag....actually pulled the "do you know who I am?" card not wanting to pay for a sandwich.
Gwynn was the best.