Quotes & Notes 8/26: Talib expected to be full participant in practice this week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Quotes & Notes 8/26: Talib expected to be full participant in practice this week

After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams. Here’s what you should know from Monday, Aug. 26.

“We’re slowly building him back in.”
– HC Sean McVay
  • CB Aqib Talib will be cleared for full participation in practice at some point this week after dealing with a “little twinge” in his hamstring since joint practices with the Raiders, according to McVay.
  • When McVay first discussed this on Aug. 13, he indicated Talib was being limited for precautionary reasons due to it being a soft-tissue injury.
  • McVay said Talib worked out before last Saturday’s preseason game against the Broncos and is feeling good.

“It’s good. There’s pros and cons.”
– RB Todd Gurley II

• The Rams chose to rest Gurley and many other starters for the second consecutive preseason, and he is happy with the decision.
  • One of the benefits to the approach, according to Gurley, is how well it works with the new NFL roster deadlines. Since clubs no longer have to trim their rosters from 90 to 75 to 53 – now it’s just 90 to 53 – it gives several players opportunities to make an impression whenever starters sit.
  • Among the reserves expected to play against Houston, Gurley said he was excited to see RBs Matt Colburn, Justin Davis and John Kelly take the field.

“Those are two very important players to us as we move forward this season.”
– HC Sean McVay
  • Asked if there was any progress on contract extension talks with QB Jared Goff and CB Marcus Peters, McVay indicated there is no update at this time.
  • While McVay understands how critical both are to the team’s success in 2019, things like training camp have kept the team preoccupied when it comes to discussions about their futures.
  • The Rams exercised the fifth-year option in Goff’s rookie deal back in April, which will keep in under contract through the 2020 season. They did the same for Peters last season to keep him under contract through this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Which position groups will McVay’s attention be on in final preseason game?

The preseason is a critical tool in the evaluation process for Rams head coach Sean McVay and his staff.

While the first three games have given them plenty to digest and a good idea of where most positions stand, there are still a few groups they will be paying attention to throughout Thursday’s preseason finale against the Texans in Houston.

“What you’re looking at, mainly, is I think we’re starting to get some clarity on a lot of the skill positions,” McVay said.

Much of Los Angeles’ focus will be the depth on the defensive side of the ball, especially with the cornerbacks and inside linebackers.

At cornerback, rookie David Long Jr., third-year veterans Kevin Peterson, Dont'e Deayon and Dominique Hatfield and second-year DB Darious Williams have all made plays at some point for the Rams secondary during the preseason. Long and Williams have the fourth and seventh-most tackles on the team through three games, while Peterson has a team-high two interceptions.

“We’ve talked a lot about the depth that we have at corner, which is going to be a good positive, difficult decision to make toward the latter half of some of those decisions,” McVay said.

The linebacker position will likely be just as challenging.

Rookie Dakota Allen paced L.A.’s defense with a team-high eight tackles against Dallas in Hawaii. That same game, Natrez Patrick made the transition from ILB to OLB seamless, with three total tackles, half of a sack and one QB hit. Making his first appearance in a live game in 593 days, former 2018 fifth-round pick Ogbonnia Okoronkwo recorded one tackle, one quarterback hit and one pass breakup in the same contest.

According to McVay, the staff will be using Thursday’s game against the Texans to assess potential special teams roles in most of those players’ cases.

“Clearly, the inside linebacker position is something that we’ve got to figure out exactly how it shapes up,” McVay said. “In a lot of ways, it’s going to be predicated on how we envision those guys contributing for (Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel) ‘Bones’ and for (Assistant Special Teams Coach) Matt Daniels.”

Both sides of the line of scrimmage will round out the last of McVay’s checklist.

Each member of the Rams’ second-string offensive line – based on the unofficial depth chart – has received snaps in each of the first three preseason games, including projected backup T David Edwards, T Bobby Evans, OL Jamil Demby, C Aaron Neary and OL Jeremiah Kolone. Gaging that position’s group’s depth will be especially important with Neary out indefinitely due to an ankle injury sustained against the Broncos on Saturday.

On the defensive line, attention will likely be paid closest to the nose tackle position. McVay said they may hold out projected contributors like Sebastian Joseph-Day , which means rookie Greg Gaines, who is also competing for the starting nose tackle job, may be in line to see action. However, McVay said he would discuss that with the rest of the coaching staff and that no final decision has been made as of Sunday.

McVay said earlier this month that he welcomes the kind of competition that leads to those discussions. With so many players and position groups doing their job, he’s going to have a lot to discuss.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
33 yr old Talib is our best corner & he has shown the tendency in 2018/2019 to have an injured & not seeing much practice. Naturally it would cause me concern do to my thoughts on Marcus Peters & Troy Hill......which are not good.

That's why I am watching closely what McVay/Wade will do here this weekend @ CB. I hope they set themselves up for the future here. Because I see no good future with Peters or Hill as our starting tandem if something were to happen to Talib again, or into the future in 2020 as our starters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
According to McVay, the staff will be using Thursday’s game against the Texans to assess potential special teams roles in most of those players’ cases.

“Clearly, the inside linebacker position is something that we’ve got to figure out exactly how it shapes up,” McVay said. “In a lot of ways, it’s going to be predicated on how we envision those guys contributing for (Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel) ‘Bones’ and for (Assistant Special Teams Coach) Matt Daniels.”
Well when they finally get around to giving Dakota Allen the starting job, Hager can go back to what he does best: depth and special teams. :)

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
33 yr old Talib is our best corner & he has shown the tendency in 2018/2019 to have an injured & not seeing much practice. Naturally it would cause me concern do to my thoughts on Marcus Peters & Troy Hill......which are not good.
Talib has never played a full regular season in his career, he's been close a few times. At his age I wouldn't be surprised to see that streak continue.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaliAq99.htm

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Talib has never played a full regular season in his career, he's been close a few times. At his age I wouldn't be surprised to see that streak continue.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaliAq99.htm
I would be willing to go short on DL/ER/ILB/Safety in order to go heavy @ CB.

I really like the youth assembled by Snead here @ corner. Rams will need these youngsters badly here next season ...... Peterson, Williams, Deayon & Long. I would like to see all three of these young corners (KP, DW & DL) make the 53 player roster & DD is signed to the PS.