Quotes and Notes 8/15 & 8/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Quotes & Notes 8/15: Aaron Donald looking forward to supporting teammates in Hawaii

After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams. Here’s what you should know from Thursday, Aug. 15.

“Just going to go out there to support the guys. Also got some business stuff out there.”
– DT Aaron Donald
  • Donald will be one of a few starters making the trip to Hawaii.
  • Although he will not play, he still wanted to make the trip to be there for his teammates.
  • His presence will be especially beneficial for Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines and the other defensive tackles competing for the starting spot beside him which was vacated by departure of Ndamukong Suh this offseason.

“I think you feel good. It’s always a tough dynamic.”
– HC Sean McVay

• With the majority of the starters not traveling for this week’s preseason game against the Cowboys in Hawaii, McVay was asked how he feels about where the starters are at this point in training camp.
  • McVay cited the work done by that group in joint practices with the Chargers and Raiders as the main reason why.
  • The Rams have ramped up the intensity in practice this week, and the challenge, according to McVay, is maintaining that edge so that it peaks come Weak 1 against Carolina.

“Those are three guys that have definitely made a name for themselves and we’re closely looking at to see what kind of role they shape and carve out for themselves come regular season.”
– HC Sean McVay
  • Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines and Tanzel Smart are all competing for the second starting defensive tackle job alongside Aaron Donald, and McVay has been pleased with what he’s seen from each player thus far.
  • Joseph-Day has been a “bright spot” for the Rams because of how he’s picked up where he left off from training camp, according to McVay, while the rookie Gaines is becoming more confident and comfortable within the system. McVay said Smart’s ability to play both the three-technique and nose tackle, plus his dependability, makes him very valuable to Los Angeles.
  • While McVay said that competition is “really sorting itself out,” it remains an ongoing evaluation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quotes & Notes 8/14: Eric Weddle aiding Jared Goff’s development

After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams. Here’s what you should know from Wednesday, Aug. 14.

“They’ve been great. Weddle in particular, just finding his dialogue throughout practice and throughout the week, trying to get a better understanding of what they’re doing, then I’ll ask him what he sees.”
– QB Jared Goff
  • Veteran additions to Los Angeles’ defense this offseason, LB Clay Matthews and especially S Eric Weddle are also proving to be a valuable resource on the other side of the ball, contributing to Goff’s development.
  • According to Goff, the conversations with Weddle are a regular occurrence, happening as often as in between plays during practice.
  • Goff said Weddle has been a critical component to his growth as a quarterback, allowing him to gain a better understanding of defenses and what they’re trying to do.

“He has seamlessly and naturally become a leader because of the way he goes about his business just being Jared Goff, and I think that’s what resonates with his teammates.”
– HC Sean McVay

• In another nod toward Goff’s growth, McVay said Goff taking the next and making the Rams his team has already happened.
  • McVay also credited Goff’s authenticity and natural improvement from how he approaches each day for him getting to this point.
  • Goff has started all 38 regular season games in first three NFL seasons, amassing 9,581 career yards passing with 65 touchdowns during that time. He was also named to the Pro Bowl in each of his last two seasons.

“Blake looked great. I thought he did a good job.”
– QB Jared Goff
  • With Goff resting, backup quarterback and offseason acquisition Blake Bortles got the start and made his Rams debut in the preseason opener against the Raiders.
  • Goff noted how well Bortles spread the ball around, completed passes and moved the ball downfield as things that stood out to him from the pair of series Bortles played on Saturday.
  • Bortles may get another chance to show what he’s capable of this Saturday against the Dallas Cowboys if McVay chooses to rest Goff for the second straight preseason game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

“Those are three guys that have definitely made a name for themselves and we’re closely looking at to see what kind of role they shape and carve out for themselves come regular season.”
– HC Sean McVay
  • Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines and Tanzel Smart are all competing for the second starting defensive tackle job alongside Aaron Donald, and McVay has been pleased with what he’s seen from each player thus far.
  • Joseph-Day has been a “bright spot” for the Rams because of how he’s picked up where he left off from training camp, according to McVay, while the rookie Gaines is becoming more confident and comfortable within the system. McVay said Smart’s ability to play both the three-technique and nose tackle, plus his dependability, makes him very valuable to Los Angeles.
  • While McVay said that competition is “really sorting itself out,” it remains an ongoing evaluation.
I was not overly impressed with what I observed by these 3 against the Raiders. However, I did see Tanzel Smart make a few tackles close in the LOS which was something new for him. Smart has gone through 3 Ram TC's & now in the middle of his 3rd Preseason & I never see anything positive from him.

2nd season SJD looked like he was stuck in mud in the first preseason game.:( With all the buzz surrounding him this off-season I was expecting something different. Rookie Greg Gaines appeared more active & generally played decent enough. Even John Franklin -Myers who was working @ the 3 tech & 5 tech posts seemed slow & just not around the ball. I would hope that Coach Henderson can get these young DL'ers fired up & making some plays against the Cowboys this weekend.

I was happy to see Morgan Fox out there & being the most active of the DL'ers working @ the 5 tech post. I am still interested in seeing more of Rookies Marquise Copeland & Bryant Jones. NT Bryant Jones saw only 18 snaps but I really liked what I saw from him on the field.(y)Keep an eye out for him against the Cowboys.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Thought I saw the most out of Smart in the Raiders game. He made some nice stops and made a solid effort to shed blocks to get to the ball.

Hoping Gaines sees a bit more burn to know what we have with him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was not overly impressed with what I observed by these 3 against the Raiders. However, I did see Tanzel Smart make a few tackles close in the LOS which was something new for him. Smart has gone through 3 Ram TC's & now in the middle of his 3rd Preseason & I never see anything positive from him.

2nd season SJD looked like he was stuck in mud in the first preseason game.:( With all the buzz surrounding him this off-season I was expecting something different. Rookie Greg Gaines appeared more active & generally played decent enough. Even John Franklin -Myers who was working @ the 3 tech & 5 tech posts seemed slow & just not around the ball. I would hope that Coach Henderson can get these young DL'ers fired up & making some plays against the Cowboys this weekend.

I was happy to see Morgan Fox out there & being the most active of the DL'ers working @ the 5 tech post. I am still interested in seeing more of Rookies Marquise Copeland & Bryant Jones. NT Bryant Jones saw only 18 snaps but I really liked what I saw from him on the field.(y)Keep an eye out for him against the Cowboys.

One of the disadvantages for these inexperienced defensive linemen is that there is no vet absorbing double teams who might normally take some of the pressure off of the rest of them. Of course, these are practice games so watching them in a pressure filled situation will help Phillips breaking down the positives & negatives in the film room. Donald, Brockers & Gaines are going to look vastly different than JFM, SJD & Smart, ... actually i'm more concerned at this point about which version of Brockers shows up, the 2018 guy or the vastly superior 2017 player. Same goes for whoever is playing behind Dante Fowler who is essentially our 4'th defensive lineman, these reserve players without a single starter is a bit like watching a high school team take on a college team. jmo.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The only play I remember from any of them was SJD chasing a play down the line of scrimmage and making a tackle for no gain near the sideline. A nice hustle play.
Doesn’t seem any are that adept at anchoring and not get pushed or shedding blocks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One of the disadvantages for these inexperienced defensive linemen is that there is no vet absorbing double teams who might normally take some of the pressure off of the rest of them. Of course, these are practice games so watching them in a pressure filled situation will help Phillips breaking down the positives & negatives in the film room. Donald, Brockers & Gaines are going to look vastly different than JFM, SJD & Smart, ... actually i'm more concerned at this point about which version of Brockers shows up, the 2018 guy or the vastly superior 2017 player. Same goes for whoever is playing behind Dante Fowler who is essentially our 4'th defensive lineman, these reserve players without a single starter is a bit like watching a high school team take on a college team. jmo.
Which version of Micheal Brockers is key ...so true. MB has shown through-out his Ram career that he can play any of the defensive line positions. MB did mix it up a bunch last season where he took many snaps @ 5 tech & NT posts. MB also played a heavy role in Wade's 2-4-5 defense where MB lined up mainly as the left side DT, but he also lined up on the right side too. At this time in his career he is a much better run defender than pass rusher.

MB & Morgan Fox should be an outstanding duo flying in from the left side along with Dante Fowler Jr. from the edge. We also saw Coach Henderson working John Franklin-Myers snaps @ the 3 tech post. Smart has seen action @ NT before but that was when he was a rookie & he started one game & that was the last time we saw much of Smart.

If MB is finally ready to turn up the heat & make this his best season yet ...... It could help the Rams go with only five DL'ers.

DT- Donald
NT- SJD
DE- Brockers

With reserves Greg Gaines & John Franklin-Myers backing up the 3 starters. I like NT Bryant Jones & DT Marquise Copeland to sign with the Rams PS.

Wade's four main ER's could be starters:
OLB -Fowler/Morgan Fox
OLB -Matthews/ Ebukam

The 5th OLB'er would come from one of the following .... Okoronwko/ Young/ Durham/ Carraway or Natrez Patrick(I am going to keep a close watch on Patrick he looks like a gamer!)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think I'd play Gaines too much tomorrow. He was clearly a cut above the depth types he was lined up across from vs the Raiders so stick him in there a bit early on to do his thing then put him on the bench. He's an important piece for us IMO.

SJD... Similarly I would have him follow Gaines and do his thing then finish up his snaps before halftime. IMO these two guys are important to our run defense this season so don't risk them too much. I can care less if we give up a ton of yards on the ground when they're out in a preseason game either.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not playing inside Brockers and AD, SJD, Gaines and Smart are not getting a true look at what they bring. Seems to me if you want to see what the DL is going to look like in the regular season, you gotta put them in with the starters for at least a few snaps.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not playing inside Brockers and AD, SJD, Gaines and Smart are not getting a true look at what they bring. Seems to me if you want to see what the DL is going to look like in the regular season, you gotta put them in with the starters for at least a few snaps.

I doubt we even see the Cowboys starters tbh. I'll be surprised if they do that in game 2, there will be a better chance for that in game 3.

If they do, I expect Frederick and Martin to teach both our NTs some good lessons no doubt.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@bubbaramfan just looked up the Cowpokes news (need a shower now) and it looks like their starters made the trip so maybe they'll play early for a quick series or two.

Prediction: whoever plays NT first will get schooled up by the interior of that Dallas line, and of course there will be fans lighting him up about it lol.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Some concern is expected with our inexperienced DL at NT. However, if these guys are going to pop without AD, Brockers, Fowler, or Mathews in the game then just imagine how much better they'll be when those other guys are on the field with them IE Gains. Also, we have to get these guys as much playing time as possible to really get a good feel for how they're going to look come regular season. You can't use injury as an excuse not to play them, then you have players unprepared for when it matters most.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think I'd play Gaines too much tomorrow. He was clearly a cut above the depth types he was lined up across from vs the Raiders so stick him in there a bit early on to do his thing then put him on the bench. He's an important piece for us IMO.

SJD... Similarly I would have him follow Gaines and do his thing then finish up his snaps before halftime. IMO these two guys are important to our run defense this season so don't risk them too much. I can care less if we give up a ton of yards on the ground when they're out in a preseason game either.

I mostly agree, but i'd also like to see SJD compete at 3T for a few possessions.