Quinton Pointer....could be the steal of college FA market

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

unlvrebelx

UDFA
let me preface this that I'm a UNLV fan, but I'm not related to Pointer...lol

Anyway, UNLV doesn't get guys like Pointer, and the only way we did is that Pointer was injured his entire senior year of HS, but before that was rated as one of the top 3 cornerbacks in HS (as a Junior). UNLV took a gamble on him and it paid....Pointer (although not healthy all the time at UNLV) regained his step that recruiters were worried he'd lose after his HS injury....and by his Junior year at UNLV, nobody would throw to his side of the field....his stats would be GAUDY if the entire conference wasn't afraid him.....

The biggest problem with Pointer is a good problem.....he hits way too hard, and sometimes runs through tackles looking to hit too hard....and its caused an injury or two during his stay at UNLV......but I think he had to find motivation as nobody would throw at him in the conference, and he started to read run early and came up and would lay the wood on runners.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in on Pointer....I was surprised to see him make a roster, but then again, I wasn't really surprised because I know NFL people can evaluate talent, and Pointer's named had to be dropped by various coaches on the west coast....happy to see him make it with the Rams, and hope to see him climb that depth chart....if they stick with developing him, he'll be the starter at some point.

unlvrebelx

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Quinton Pointer....could be the steal of college FA mark

by the way....I got to see Steven Jackson more than a few times in HS....what a freak athlete....I think he was 2 star recruit until he signed with Oregon State and then upgraded to a 3 star (Rivals.com).... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Hey cool - thanks. Nice insight. :nice:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

I think you could be right about Pointer being the steam of the UDFAs.

If he continues to build on a strong preseason, especially very good game 4, I would feel extremely comfortable as a defensive role player. Maybe growing into a more significant role down the road. He'll overcome his size disadvantage, he's a pretty small guy. Cortland Finnegan is probably the best guy a small CB can learn from in this league.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

He was certainly in just about every play while in during game 4. BTW - I watched SJ quite a bit after he left your neck of the woods. We live about 45 minutes away from Corvallis - home of OSU. I was stoked when my Rams took him.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I am a fan of Pointer...I think he is a really good 5th corner and was a big part of the team parting with some of the other vets.

bluecoconuts

Legend

His play is what probably led to the Murphy release and could be the reason why if Fletcher is indeed traded. Good upside on the kid, we potentially have gotten three top probowl corners in a single draft. Amazing talent if they can all bring it together.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I'm already getting a good feel for what Fisher and his staff wants. He wants players that have a high ceiling that learn from their mistakes, and certainly Pointer has done that. He improved every chance he had to play. When you see a player ascending like that, he is hard to cut, because, where is his ceiling if he's already playing like this?

Thanks for the insight, unlvrebelz. We love that stuff here.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

DR RAM said:
I'm already getting a good feel for what Fisher and his staff wants. He wants players that have a high ceiling that learn from their mistakes, and certainly Pointer has done that. He improved every chance he had to play. When you see a player ascending like that, he is hard to cut, because, where is his ceiling if he's already playing like this?

Could also be the reason why he kept McLeod and Daniels as safeties. They improved in every game they played, including special teams. Pretty difficult to keep off players like that.

I also loved the insight you had, unlvrebelz. I didn't know that about Pointer (which just proves why I'd never be a GM. :rofl: ). I love the fact that he hits so hard when he's the shortest guy on the team (he's listed at 5'9"), and his coverage skills impressed me as well. He completely earned that job and proved me wrong, just like Cudjo did two years ago.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Memento said:
DR RAM said:

Could also be the reason why he kept McLeod and Daniels as safeties. They improved in every game they played, including special teams. Pretty difficult to keep off players like that.

I also loved the insight you had, unlvrebelz. I didn't know that about Pointer (which just proves why I'd never be a GM. :rofl: ). I love the fact that he hits so hard when he's the shortest guy on the team (he's listed at 5'9"), and his coverage skills impressed me as well. He completely earned that job and proved me wrong, just like Cudjo did two years ago.
He's the perfect height to undercut Calvin Johnson on a leaping catch and cartwheel him. Bring it :twisted:

I watched him in the 4th quarter the other night and thought "this guy's still in NOW ,he's gonna get cut,too bad I like him"