Quinton Coples back in his comfort zone, rushing the passer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Rams' Quinton Coples back in his comfort zone, rushing the passer

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coples-725206-position-outside.html

IRVINE – It wasn’t the equivalent of changing a chess board to a checkers board and asking a rook to leap diagonally rather than move horizontally or vertically. But you can’t blame Quinton Coples for feeling a bit out of place throughout the various scheme and position changes during his first four seasons with the New York Jets.

And the adverse affect it had on what began as a promising career for the former first-round pick out of North Carolina, who was released by two teams during a forgettable 12-month period.

The frustrating journey has led him to Los Angeles, where the Rams offer a chance at redemption in a scheme that suits his talent and with a strong roster that allows him to blend in as a supporting player rather than a focal point or star.

“Really a great situation for me in so many ways,” Coples said.

Considering where he came from, it’s football nirvana.

Looking back on it now, Coples can only nod his head and smile at how it all unfolded the last couple of years.

Albeit quietly and respectfully.

Maybe it’s the southern gentleman in him. Or the understanding that playing for his third team in less than a calendar year leaves him very little room to speak bluntly.

So he’ll just leave it at this: “At the end of the day, I’ll do whatever I can and whatever I’m asked to help my team win.”

With the Jets, that meant moving from a hand in the dirt, 3-4 defensive end to a stand-up outside linebacker asked to rush the quarterback but also drop back in pass coverage against running backs and tight ends.

Considering Coples’ 6-foot-6, 291-pound frame and skill set, the pass coverage part was like decking out Brock Lesnar in a leotard and putting him on “Dancing With The Stars.”

The idea was horrible.

The results were even worse.

From his defensive end position, Coples had 161/2 sacks in his first three seasons.

But miscast in the role of outside linebacker, he was lost.

The sack and tackle numbers reflected that. And the criticism mounted for the 16th pick in the 2012 draft.

Never mind that he was playing out of position or in a scheme that nullified his primary talent.

None of that mattered to fans.

Or how he was assessed in some quarters as an underachiever.

“At the end of the day, while I understood I was being graded as a defensive lineman, which focuses on sacks and things like that, that wasn’t my job,” Coples said. “Nothing personal, but only people who truly understand football understand different schemes and how certain skill sets fit in certain systems.”

It all came to a head last November when Coples was released by the Jets and first-year head coach Todd Bowles, who minced few words in describing Coples as too slow to handle the outside linebacker position he was being asked to play.

Bowles had the right to critique, and he was 100 percent correct in the assessment.

But Coples would be the first to tell you he’s a defensive lineman, not an outside linebacker. And it only stands to reason he isn’t physically capable of the requirements of one position when his body is built for another.

“You just deal with it,” Coples said. “I was focused on helping my team win. I was asked to play linebacker – and some other positions – that’s what I was asked to do and I did it.”

He was immediately picked up by the Miami Dolphins, who used a more familiar 4-3 scheme, but jumping on board so late in the season left little time to fit in. Keeping Coples beyond 2015 would have meant paying the fifth year of his original contract – at $7.7 million – which was a non-starter with the Dolphins.

They cut him in February – essentially negating the fifth-year guarantee – and the Rams scooped him up on a two-year deal.

He’s guaranteed nothing beyond an opportunity, but on a deep, talented defensive line he’s already getting run with the second team as a defensive end, and on Monday he practiced at defensive tackle.

“It’s a position I have some experience in and feel I can handle,” Coples said. “So the coaches put me out there. Things happen a little faster down there, but it felt pretty good.”

The Rams look at it as a chance to create pressure inside with Coples and from the outside with Ethan Westbrooks.

“We talked about it (Monday),” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We kind of are going to flip a little bit and give Ethan Westbrooks some defensive end work and we’ll give Quinton some stuff inside, just as a rusher.”

Coples understands his spot on the team depends on the production he provides through whatever reps he gets. The starting line is set with All-Pro Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers inside and Robert Quinn and William Hayes on the outside. But the Rams want to keep the first unit fresh by rotating players in and out, and that requires dependable depth.

As a result, there is an opportunity for Coples to work his way into the rotation along with Eugene Sims, Westbrooks, Matt Longacre, Cam Thomas and Dominique Easley.

Provided he shows he can still create a push on the outside and inside.

If so, he can develop into a dependable piece on a unit many consider one of the best in the NFL.

“We’ve got everybody. From left to right, inside to outside,” Coples said. “Now it’s just a matter of doing it. And giving the offense as many opportunities to put points on the board as we can. Maybe that’s through a turnover, or creating better field position.”

And he’ll be doing it from the position he’s most comfortable.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's dangerous for a player to say it since it risks crossing the line to an excuse, but I love his quote about scheme & skill set fits and those that don't understand football (*cough* PFF)... Nice article overall, except really? -- a dancing show reference?? This is football, if you want to talk dancers go cover the Whiners, that's an SF media move, bro.

Anyway, exciting thoughts about Coples panning out, interesting him working inside and Westbrooks outside. I've never liked Westbrooks inside so I'm happy, but haven't read anything about him this preseason. Last I saw he kinda bulked up to play inside and seemed to lose a bit of his edge quickness, is he converting back to a DE build?

I think an underrated camp battle will be the defensive end rotation. I'm not a big William Hayes fan, and both he and Quinn have some injury history so next guys up at DE probably will be huge again. Also no mention of where Easely fits in, is the battle now Coples v. Easely for next up at the DT rotation?

Maybe someone who's been at camp can post some clarity on how they see the rotations working out so far, or I guess I can wait the 3 days until game time. So hard to wait...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Another great pickup...I really liked this guy coming outta college. That U. of North Carolina team was STACKED....I can see a type of revival like Mark Barron... Coples oozes talent....now
Nice article overall, except really? -- a dancing show reference?? This is football, if you want to talk dancers go cover the Whiners, that's an SF media move, bro.
LOL, easy on Vinny...He's actually a very good writer for the Rams...Knows the game....Humor is really hard to convey in print....

I'm not a big William Hayes fan
I'm am really curious about why you don't like Hayes? I've seen nothing but hustle & effort outta him...and Sims....Clearly has starter talent....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm cautiously optimistic about Coples. Saw a positive comment from a camp reporter about him the other day. And Hayes is gonna need his breathers as we all know.

Coples may be Exhibit B on the Rams of a talented player being misused by his former team. Barron would be Exhibit A, of course.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Easley, too. These FA added to our front four must feel like they died and went to heaven, huh?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think more than a few folks are going to pleasantly surprised by Quinton Coples.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think more than a few folks are going to pleasantly surprised by Quinton Coples.
I sure hope I am one of them. The Fisher comment about getting the Coples some interior action is interesting.

I prefer Ethan Westbrooks to be used more outside than inside myself & I do know that Westbrooks is much more twitchier than Coples who is always last off the line & looks to move in slow motion much of his time with the Jets when rushing the passer. One thing I do know Coples has some serious long arms for QB's to throw through or around & could be very aggravating for our opponents shorter QB's inside. Coples may have a bigger impact inside for this current Ram DL ....he was very good in college when playing the Donald position.

When I heard of the fight between Coples & Garrett Reynolds (OG) I was wondering why they hooked up but if Fisher has been playing Coples inside the DL then I understand why Garrett & him went at it.

Last edited: