Quintin Mikell on The Fast Lane

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You came here because of Spags and the defense he ran. What are some of the differences you see with Fisher?
It's an interesting dynamic. This is my first time learning a new D. This is an attacking D. Spags' defense was system based and timing based. This one is getting to where you have to be quick, and getting to the rock. I'm enjoying it.

Any carry over from the last defense?
No, not really. The only thing is the timing on the blitzes and certain things like that. The terminology is all new.

About the (lack of) hitting in camp
I love it. I could probably play another 10 years if I had camps like this one. It's good to be able to hit a little bit but not too much.

How do you get your full-speed work in before going live?
I'm pretty well used to doing it by now. For me, the main thing is running to the ball, getting to the ball and finding angles. Make sure the RB doesn't cut back on me.

Do you ever visualize the hit in your head?
Absolutely. You work that a lot. Even in practice. You'll watch film and plan on how you're going to take on a guy based on his tendencies. If he's a cut-back runner, then you plan for that.

Your role has changed at S. Biggest change since you came into the league?
I would say (Jim Johnson) was ahead of the curve. Lots of teams were doing the cover-2, but over time as you saw TE's getting biggger and faster, you had to be able to cover blitzes and tackle and do a whole bunch of other things.

Safeties have to play 3 zones.
Aboslutely. The more you do, the longer you can stick around.

About the rookies
They've been impressing me. Especially Janoris. A lot has been said about him (negatives) but so far I've seen nothing but a very very very good player so far. Tremendous playmaking ability.

Can you see the QB through brockers?
No, not when he's standing right in front of me (laughing). Which is a good thing for me.

What does it do for you having CBs like Finnegan and Jenkins?
It gives me a chance to make more plays, but it also gives me an opportunity to have a feeling that if I DO make a mistake, they can cover me. If I'm late to a deep post, they can push it to me. I don't have to be perfect every play, and neither do they. We just have to be able to play together well.