Quintin Mikell close to a deal with the Panthers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
I hope he gets signed. Q's a good dude.

CSN's Geoff Mosher reports that an agreement for the 32-year-old Boise State graduate is near, following his departure from the Rams in March.

Should he complete a switch to the Panthers, Mikell would reportedly immediately become their starting strong safety with the ex-Eagles star enjoying a strong relationship with Carolina defensive coordinator Sean McDermott from their time in Philadelphia.

Mikell was released by the Rams despite enjoying a career high tackle total last season, having broken the century barrier with 101 during a poor campaign for St Louis.

He also made three sacks - another career high - and forced four fumbles, and is set to form a formidable pairing with Charles Godfrey in Carolina.

Mikell's career total of 19 stuffed runs and 10 combined in the last three seasons make him a potentially shrewd acquisition for the Panthers.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemesport.com/357238-carolina-panthers-close-to-quintin-mikell-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemesport.com/357238-carol ... ikell-deal</a>

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes he is a good dude! Just no longer fit the Rams ...first his very high cost contract bordered on insane and the fact that he was a liability against the TE's that were faced last season. Just too short to compete with those tall big TE's they killed him.

Hope he does well with the Panthers!

…..

Legend
I'm not convinced losing Mikell is going to be a good thing. We'll miss his veteran presence. Its debatable wether he was *worth* the contract.

Though its been discussed at length, I'm a little worried about the youth in our defensive backfield. Hope Finnegan can hold em together.

But waddaya do? No mo money means cutbacks are gonna happen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

really? the safeties were a liability last season. that's why the corners had to give wrs such large cushions, so if they got beat it wouldn't end up being a td.

and we all remember the London game where the gronk didn't have a db within 10 yards of him every single time he caught the ball.

it can't get worse than it was last season.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Dog said:
I'm not convinced losing Mikell is going to be a good thing. We'll miss his veteran presence. Its debatable wether he was *worth* the contract.

Though its been discussed at length, I'm a little worried about the youth in our defensive backfield. Hope Finnegan can hold em together.

But waddaya do? No mo money means cutbacks are gonna happen.
Mikell was decent on his best days i would rather see what our youth can do then overpay for mediocre talent

…..

Legend
albe said:
Addition by subtraction.

in what way?

We add unproven players to a position by subtracting a veteran that just had his best year ever? I suppose that's addition and subtraction.

We add roster flexibility by dumping this particular salary, so yes that is addition by subtraction.

Ram fans have been mighty fickle about the safety postion for some reason. I wish we had Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater or Ed Reed but we dont. Fact of the matter is Mikell was quite serviceable and you can not convince me that subtracting him just made us better.

I understand the business side of things, but from a defensive point of view, we added nothing by subtracting Mikell. Now we're forced to play players with little to no real experience, and everyone on the chat boards is going to say thats a good thing because its in our nature to try and find the rosy side of a delima. Sorry, not buying it. Its ok to be realistic.

If Rodney McCloud makes the pro bowl...I'll kiss your feet. :lmao:

jap

Legend
I trust the fact that we have three DB gurus running things in Fish,, Walton, and Chuck Cecil. They want more speed and quickness at the safety position, and they will undertake the responsibility for coaching these young kids up. Of course, it's up to the kids to respond to the coaching.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Dog asked:
albe said:
Addition by subtraction.

in what way?

We add unproven players to a position by subtracting a veteran that just had his best year ever? I suppose that's addition and subtraction.

We add roster flexibility by dumping this particular salary, so yes that is addition by subtraction.

Ram fans have been mighty fickle about the safety postion for some reason. I wish we had Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater or Ed Reed but we dont. Fact of the matter is Mikell was quite serviceable and you can not convince me that subtracting him just made us better.

I understand the business side of things, but from a defensive point of view, we added nothing by subtracting Mikell. Now we're forced to play players with little to no real experience, and everyone on the chat boards is going to say thats a good thing because its in our nature to try and find the rosy side of a delima. Sorry, not buying it. Its ok to be realistic.

If Rodney McCloud makes the pro bowl...I'll kiss your feet. :lmao:

We have $214,000 left on our salary cap and I know you mentioned that but you can't mention it too many times IMO.
Mikell's inability to cover the opposing TEs or be an effective last line of defense outweighed his accomplishments in other areas of his game. Now he's a year older and his skills have probably degraded even further.

Yes, I do believe that we added something from a defensive point of view. I'm going to completely ignore the fact that we don't call our safeties SS & FS because regardless of their names their responsibilities remain relatively the same. Mikell was a SS with zero coverage skills that are probably even worse now that he's a year older. McDonald is a SS with coverage skills. How big an improvement over Mikell is still to be determined but it can only get better IMO. Can either of them handle the responsibilities of a FS? The answer for Mikell is a resounding no and as for McD, those duties are what he really sucked at in college and why I wasn't happy with the pick. McLeod would have the responsibilities of a FS and thus the comparison to Mikell is misplaced IMO. Can he be our last line of defense? We don't know yet but I'd rather find out by playing him instead of playing Mikell who I know can't handle the job.

Mikell starting would just hinder the OJT of his replacement (McD).

Neither Dahl or Mikell are the future and they're not even decent place holders IMO. At least when McD and McLeod screw up we can blame it on inexperience and have some hope they'll improve. That option is totally gone with Mikell and Dahl.

For my final point I would just like to point out that the Rams FO obviously agrees with my assessment. While this doesn't make my view point right, it sure makes me feel better when I do a quick sanity check. :lol:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Good luck Mikell, I thought you played well, but this is a young team, and the Rams had to move on.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd just like to say....when a teams cast offs start to be contributors for other teams instead of never playing again either your coach is incompetent, or yer gittin better
Mikel just wasn't good enough for THIS team

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
albefree69 said:
Addition by subtraction.

I agree 100%!

That Mikell 2013 contract hit may have been one of the most out of line in the NFL with what the player would bring in return. Mikell would have made $$$ more than the cost of what the Rams will pay to play OLT Jake Long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BonifayRam said:
albefree69 said:
Addition by subtraction.

I agree 100%!

That Mikell 2013 contract hit may have been one of the most out of line in the NFL with what the player would bring in return. Mikell would have made $$$ more than the cost of what the Rams will pay to play OLT Jake Long.

When you put it in that perspective... Exactly; Jake Long adds more to this team than keeping Mikell.

But, I liked Q. He played much better last year when used more in the box.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
i liked Mikell for run support. But this is a passing league now and you just cant afford to have any safety that cant cover. Mikell and Dahl were probably the worst covering safeties in the league last year. how could it get worse? we need to see what our young guys can do.