Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TShram03

UDFA
Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but are we now using Madden ratings to evaluate REAL talent?

I get what you're saying.

To me, tho, it indicates the perceived level of talent and skill a player has. How is player viewed by objective outside entity? Are Madden ratings perfect? No. But generally, I think it's a decent scale (1-100) to assign a numerical value to a players overall football skill relative to his peers.

Basically what I'm asking: As of this moment, Brian Quick does NOT own a high profile/perception when being judged on his football ability. How much will that change by the time he finishes his 2014 regular season?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I get what you're saying.

To me, tho, it indicates the perceived level of talent and skill a player has. How is player viewed by objective outside entity? Are Madden ratings perfect? No. But generally, I think it's a decent scale (1-100) to assign a numerical value to a players overall football skill relative to his peers.

Basically what I'm asking: As of this moment, Brian Quick does NOT own a high profile/perception when being judged on his football ability. How much will that change by the time he finishes his 2014 regular season?

I'm sorry, but I won't ever buy into a video game being even a partially accurate way of evaluating NFL talent. It's as much about the hype as it is about the performance on that stuff. And while this comment is NOT directed at your personally (I don't know you) but IMO, this is a huge reason why people get such an exaggerated opinion of players in this league and don't trust what they see for themselves. Be it with individual players, or how a team actually performs. Madden says they suck, so they MUST suck.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not saying they are as good as Marshall and Jeffries. I certainly believe they can be huge for us tho. You can't contain two fast 6'3" guys outside and two guys like Austin and Bailey inside.

TShram03

UDFA
I'm sorry, but I won't ever buy into a video game being even a partially accurate way of evaluating NFL talent. It's as much about the hype as it is about the performance on that stuff. And while this comment is NOT directed at your personally (I don't know you) but IMO, this is a huge reason why people get such an exaggerated opinion of players in this league and don't trust what they see for themselves. Be it with individual players, or how a team actually performs. Madden says they suck, so they MUST suck.

I do believe that there is a grain of truth to what you're saying. Certainly there are casual football fans out there who don't consume the media, watch the games (live in person or on TV) to the level of fans like you and I.

I religiously read your reports (thank you) and Hammer's reports on RamsTalk.

I work in the sports media industry and spent all of 2009-2013 working as the Sports Director of a local TV affiliate in Columbia, Missouri spending (most) every day covering/observing football practices with Mizzou.

I COMPLETELY understand that level of production on the field in games that count is not always an accurate indication of the talent a player possesses.

In the case of Brian Quick, I have long been seduced by his lithe, fluid movements. When you see that type of kinetic movement on a 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame you understand why Les and Jeff coveted this player. It's the common denominator that pops on the screen when you watch the best of the best in the NFL catch passes and produce at the position.

Right now that hasn't manifested itself on the field with Quick. Frankly, if it had by now it would be a minor miracle given his tremendously rudimentary football background prior to entering the NFL.

My Madden analogy -- which maybe I'm just not explaining well enough at the moment -- is meant to be 1) something fun to consider for those that play the game 2) an exercise to place a consider some sort of numerical value given to Quick's football abilities as they stand now vs. how those very same talents will be viewed by the NFL community (fans, players, coaches, etc.) when his 2014 season is over and done with.

Do we expect a large jump in that subjective ranking because he goes out on Sunday's and produces?

As you may surmise from my numbers, I do think Quick -- who has LONG been blessed with the physical talents necessary for NFL success -- will see a boost in his "rating" because he starts to apply those traits more consistently to making impact plays on a weekly basis.

Again, I appreciate your reports from camp. It's very helpful for a person in my business, for someone who constantly likes to evaluate personnel on the Rams and around the NFL, and -- of course -- for such a big Rams fan.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

No disrespect coach, but most of those ratings are pretty accurate on how good a player is at certain attributes. Let's take Brian Quick for example. He's a 72 overall. It's not very good right? But if you look at his attributes, he very talented. Good speed, strength and ability to go up and get it. But also average route running and awareness. This is based on last year obviously but it fits Quick perfectly.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I do believe that there is a grain of truth to what you're saying. Certainly there are casual football fans out there who don't consume the media, watch the games (live in person or on TV) to the level of fans like you and I.

I religiously read your reports (thank you) and Hammer's reports on RamsTalk.

I work in the sports media industry and spent all of 2009-2013 working as the Sports Director of a local TV affiliate in Columbia, Missouri spending (most) every day covering/observing football practices with Mizzou.

I COMPLETELY understand that level of production on the field in games that count is not always an accurate indication of the talent a player possesses.

In the case of Brian Quick, I have long been seduced by his lithe, fluid movements. When you see that type of kinetic movement on a 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame you understand why Les and Jeff coveted this player. It's the common denominator that pops on the screen when you watch the best of the best in the NFL catch passes and produce at the position.

Right now that hasn't manifested itself on the field with Quick. Frankly, if it had by now it would be a minor miracle given his tremendously rudimentary football background prior to entering the NFL.

My Madden analogy -- which maybe I'm just not explaining well enough at the moment -- is meant to be 1) something fun to consider for those that play the game 2) an exercise to place a consider some sort of numerical value given to Quick's football abilities as they stand now vs. how those very same talents will be viewed by the NFL community (fans, players, coaches, etc.) when his 2014 season is over and done with.

Do we expect a large jump in that subjective ranking because he goes out on Sunday's and produces?

As you may surmise from my numbers, I do think Quick -- who has LONG been blessed with the physical talents necessary for NFL success -- will see a boost in his "rating" because he starts to apply those traits more consistently to making impact plays on a weekly basis.

Again, I appreciate your reports from camp. It's very helpful for a person in my business, for someone who constantly likes to evaluate personnel on the Rams and around the NFL, and -- of course -- for such a big Rams fan.

Fair enough, and i understand your point. Having a 30 yr old son, who has always been a fan of Madden, I myself have played the game plenty in the past. But there are just so many arbitrary things used in those ratings that can be a trap for many who don't understand the difference. They are very stat oriented, and don't seem to take into account how the players are used in their respective teams system, or dont take into account the actual system itself.

Anyway,, I appreciate your kind words, and your take on things.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fair enough, and i understand your point. Having a 30 yr old son, who has always been a fan of Madden, I myself have played the game plenty in the past. But there are just so many arbitrary things used in those ratings that can be a trap for many who don't understand the difference. They are very stat oriented, and don't seem to take into account how the players are used in their respective teams system, or dont take into account the actual system itself.

Anyway,, I appreciate your kind words, and your take on things.

Moving on. I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already has been with talk about Madden. LOL.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I never think of Quick in terms of fooling us...the Rams were clear about him when he was drafted...They expected him to take time to develop...and he has...its the fans that put the expectations that he be great right out of the gate or in his second year, the team didn't. I truly believe in the player and have since he was drafted...He has all the physical gifts and he has the work ethic which has been documented by the team and writers. Now the coaches are showing that trust in him, Schotty called him the most improved player...and now the QB is targeting him a ton in practice and he is paying it off.

Was Quick one of the guys working with Sam in Norman this summer? Seems like there is a lot more trust between him and Sam and that they seem to be on the same page.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Stoked to see Quick and Britt this year. I loved the idea of Quick - Cook - Kendricks - Pettis last year, especially in goal-to-go situations, and while that let me down (moreso after Bradford got hurt), I think Quick - Cook - Kendricks - Britt with Stacy in the backfield is a scary redzone grouping.

TShram03

UDFA
Apologies for the tangent.

Quick and Britt are two guys, given their athleticism at that size, who can do anything at the top of a stem. Speed past, comeback, get body position on a skinny or corner, work a shield in or out. You name it. The route combos are endless when they're on the field together.

The Rams offense is maximized, given the complimentary weapons to weave in and out of the scheme, with these two on the field together playing to their athletic potential.

If both are playing fast and physical and with the swag that may be blossoming in this camp...

Oh man.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I think that's why a lot of us are saying, "Let's just see it on Sundays".

We have seen it on Sundays but only in spurts. People are just remembering the Bad stuff and MENTAL mistakes. All you have to do is rewatch the TD he got against the 49ers. A lot of people believe that the Db fell. He didn't he was Manhandled bye a mean Stiff Arm from Quick. this year Quick wont be thinking he will be playing full speed and he will actually be a target on the play.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'll take Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery everyday and twice on Sundays over Britt and Quick.

Quick has been impressive (in camp, just like he was last year), but let's see how he does against the Patrick Petersons and Richard Shermans of the world before we anoint him the second coming of Tory Holt. We have been burned by Quick more so than any other player on this team from a "fools gold" perspective. I have really high expectations for him this year, and think this could be his "Vincent Jackson" season that Snead LOVED to tout when Quick was drafted, but he has to put it all together for 16 games, and to this point he hasn't proven to be capable of that.
OK...you take them! Just remember the Rams canned the Bears last year...and Brandon and Jeffery where out there...FINAL SCORE - Rams 42 Bears 21 (y)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope it doesn't involve scandalous videos on Instagram, he'll probably be too Quick in bed

Like the old joke: Why was Lois Lane so disappointed?
Because Superman really is faster than a speeding bullet.

:whistle: