Quick vs Bailey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Iron Lion

Starter
Bailey. I like how he can reach up and snatch the ball without slowing down. Catches everything. Quick drops everything. Not much of a question here fellas.

jjab360

Legend
I really don't care about how big Quick is anymore, he doesn't play up to his size and so it becomes irrelevant. Everybody hoping for a Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, or Marques Colston is going to be disappointed, IMO.

With Bailey, OTOH, you have a guy who plays much bigger than his size. His 33" arms and 10" hands which are comparable to someone much larger than him are a big part of that, IMO. I always thought he was one of the more polished receivers heading into the draft, and he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

jjab360

Legend
rams24/7 said:
RamsOfCastamere said:
As starters, there are those that prefer the trio of Austin, Givens and Quick, and others that prefer Austin, Givens and Bailey. For me, I'm leaning towards Quick, hoping that he would develop into a Dez Bryant style of player. But, even though we've seen flashes of improvement from Quick, he drops balls occasionally. And Bailey, he runs better inside routes and has better hands, but I don't think he's as big of a deep threat as Quick or can win jump balls like Quick's touchdown last year. I guess this is a good dilemma to have, having multiple promising WRs, of which we lacked.

Who would you rather see receive the most reps?

See I tend to disagree with you. I like Givens/Bailey/Austin trio. I don't hate Quick, but I don't like when people expect him to be like TO or Dez Bryant simply because of his measurables. The guy doesn't naturally use his size when he plays, in fact he plays like he plays as if he had average measurables. Whereas Bailey plays like he's larger than 5'10", by using his body when he's airborne to make miraculous catches. His route running also helps him get separation despite only slightly above average speed. And really when have we ever seen evidence of Quick being a deep threat? To me he is an unproven clone of Gibby: limited downfield, doesn't use size, inconsistent hands, limited route tree. Bailey on the contrary showed his ability to get downfield in college nabbing 25 TDs for 1,600+ yards his sr year. I give Bailey an edge over Quick, and soon Pettis
Hit the nail right on the head.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
X said:
rams24/7 said:
RamsOfCastamere said:
As starters, there are those that prefer the trio of Austin, Givens and Quick, and others that prefer Austin, Givens and Bailey. For me, I'm leaning towards Quick, hoping that he would develop into a Dez Bryant style of player. But, even though we've seen flashes of improvement from Quick, he drops balls occasionally. And Bailey, he runs better inside routes and has better hands, but I don't think he's as big of a deep threat as Quick or can win jump balls like Quick's touchdown last year. I guess this is a good dilemma to have, having multiple promising WRs, of which we lacked.

See I tend to disagree with you. I like Givens/Bailey/Austin trio. I don't hate Quick, but I don't like when people expect him to be like TO or Dez Bryant simply because of his measurables. The guy doesn't naturally use his size when he plays, in fact he plays like he plays as if he had average measurables. Whereas Bailey plays like he's larger than 5'10", by using his body when he's airborne to make miraculous catches. His route running also helps him get separation despite only slightly above average speed. And really when have we ever seen evidence of Quick being a deep threat? To me he is an unproven clone of Gibby: limited downfield, doesn't use size, inconsistent hands, limited route tree. Bailey on the contrary showed his ability to get downfield in college nabbing 25 TDs for 1,600+ yards his sr year. I give Bailey an edge over Quick, and soon Pettis
I think Quick is just a slower learner and was WAY behind even Bailey in college. His measurables were enough for Snead (who scouted him for 2 years) to draft him, and Fisher put his stamp of approval on the pickup as well. What they saw during that private workout was someone who has elite "talent" when he stops thinking and starts playing (IMO). The question still remains ... will he put it all together and get to that level of play sooner rather than later? If he doesn't, then your post will be validated. If he does, then we'll all understand what it is Snead and Fisher saw in him. Like you, I saw some things last year that were very concerning. But at the same time, I saw some things he can do that some of our other receivers can't.

Fingers crossed that he gets there soon.

I completely understand why people have such high hopes for the kid; because he has elite physical skills and because they trust Fish & Snead. But I'm the kind of guy who takes the "don't tell me, show me" approach. I agree Quick is immensely talented physically, and we saw 3 flashes in 2012: the NE sideline catch, SF TD, & MIN TD. I'm just gonna wait for him to have these plays with more regularity, and sprinkle in some lesser plays as well. The best players as we saw with Torry and Isaac can give you a 40+ yard explosive play, but can also come back and give you 5+ solid grabs the remainder of a game. With Quick in those games, those explosive plays were really the only impact he had on the game. I'm not saying he doesn't have time, but I'm just repeating my mantra "lets not get caught up in what this guy is supposed to be and become suckers if he turns out to be JAG." That's why I loved adding Bailey, he's insurance. Now we have 3 WRs with true starting potential on our squad, and if Quick falters Bailey has a good chance to become a solid #2 in this league. Just my opinion, but I have more faith in Bailey panning out long term as opposed to Quick

nighttrain

Legend
CoachO said:
For the time being, you are comparing apples and oranges. They are playing different positions.

Quick is working at the "Z" (Split End) and Bailey is working at "X" (flanker). But for the sake of the topic, both of them, as is the case with ALL of the WRs, bring something unique to the mix.

Quick is almost uncoverable on the "deep dig" routes. That being the 15-18 Yard crossing route. This is the route he can use his size and quickness. He tends to use his hands very well on this route, while on some of the other routes he has been used, he tends to try to use his body too much.

Bailey has excelled at the quick slants, and sideline type stuff. I do agree, he may have the best hands of anyone on the team. But he isn't being used in the same way that Pettis/Quick are playing out of the "X" spot.

Like Givens, he does stretch the field, and is deceptive in his speed downfield. I have been saying throughout training camp, that this will a "committee" approach, much like the talk about the RB by committee has been.

Way too many guys who all bring something different to the mix.
Exactly, and anyone who has read all your camp reports would/should know all this
train
ps thanks for all the hard work

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
max said:
It would be better if Quick stepped up, just don't trust him yet.

I hope they both pass Pettis in preseason.

Venturi called Pettis... Mr. All Earth City.

Oh man is that a funny one.

This earns my first like!

iced

Quick all the way.

Can be the best red zone weapon on this team imo

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
rams24/7 said:
X said:
rams24/7 said:
RamsOfCastamere said:

I think Quick is just a slower learner and was WAY behind even Bailey in college. His measurables were enough for Snead (who scouted him for 2 years) to draft him, and Fisher put his stamp of approval on the pickup as well. What they saw during that private workout was someone who has elite "talent" when he stops thinking and starts playing (IMO). The question still remains ... will he put it all together and get to that level of play sooner rather than later? If he doesn't, then your post will be validated. If he does, then we'll all understand what it is Snead and Fisher saw in him. Like you, I saw some things last year that were very concerning. But at the same time, I saw some things he can do that some of our other receivers can't.

I completely understand why people have such high hopes for the kid; because he has elite physical skills and because they trust Fish & Snead. But I'm the kind of guy who takes the "don't tell me, show me" approach. I agree Quick is immensely talented physically, and we saw 3 flashes in 2012: the NE sideline catch, SF TD, & MIN TD. I'm just gonna wait for him to have these plays with more regularity, and sprinkle in some lesser plays as well. The best players as we saw with Torry and Isaac can give you a 40+ yard explosive play, but can also come back and give you 5+ solid grabs the remainder of a game. With Quick in those games, those explosive plays were really the only impact he had on the game. I'm not saying he doesn't have time, but I'm just repeating my mantra "lets not get caught up in what this guy is supposed to be and become suckers if he turns out to be JAG." That's why I loved adding Bailey, he's insurance. Now we have 3 WRs with true starting potential on our squad, and if Quick falters Bailey has a good chance to become a solid #2 in this league. Just my opinion, but I have more faith in Bailey panning out long term as opposed to Quick
Agreed. And i will add to all that bailey isn't fast, i have to say he is faster the he gets credit for. I believe the thing that really seperates the 2 is bailey with his route running and toughness puts himself in situations where he doesn't have to fight for the ball or be as fast.

I think bailey is better than quick yes quick has intangibles but there no good if he doesn't utilize them.

All in all bailey has the drive and determination quick has the flash but doesnt seem to have the drive or the hands bailey does just my humble opinion

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rams24/7 said:
X said:
rams24/7 said:
RamsOfCastamere said:

I can dig it, Nick. There are no wrong opinions. They're just opinions.

I think we're both on the same page in that Quick needs to become more well-rounded as a receiver and show more consistency. If and when he gets there is the question that needs to be answered - and it can only be answered by him.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Rabid Ram said:
rams24/7 said:
X said:
rams24/7 said:
RamsOfCastamere said:

Agreed. And i will add to all that bailey isn't fast, i have to say he is faster the he gets credit for. I believe the thing that really seperates the 2 is bailey with his route running and toughness puts himself in situations where he doesn't have to fight for the ball or be as fast.

I think bailey is better than quick yes quick has intangibles but there no good if he doesn't utilize them.

All in all bailey has the drive and determination quick has the flash but doesnt seem to have the drive or the hands bailey does just my humble opinion

I agree wholeheartedly with every word you said, especially regarding Bailey's speed and his drive. His drive reminds me of DRich and Quick's lack of drive reminds of Pead. The WR situation may shake out very similarly to RB2 last year, with the lower draft pick/underdog performing higher than expectations and the higher pick/favorite not doing enough to hold him off

A55VA6

Legend
Stedman Bailey all day everyday without hesitation. Dude can play, and he'll be a great WR. Idk if I can say that about Quick.

jeffryan

UDFA
Quick is going to be a beast by the time the playoffs roll around. He is going to have an occasional drop due to lack of concentration/lack of confidence. Bailey is going to be a starter by mid season. Pettis' role will be reduced to third downs and red zone. He just is too slow and does not get separation.

I live in CA and bought a 4 game pack of two seats. They are awesome seats (Section 342 Row D Seat 13). As of now I don't have anyone to go back to St Louis for the Niners Thurs night game. I am looking to sell one ticket for that game to a Rams fan at face value ($124). Let me know if anyone is interested. Been a Rams fan since 1965. Jeff

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jeffryan said:
Quick is going to be a beast by the time the playoffs roll around. He is going to have an occasional drop due to lack of concentration/lack of confidence. Bailey is going to be a starter by mid season. Pettis' role will be reduced to third downs and red zone. He just is too slow and does not get separation.

I live in CA and bought a 4 game pack of two seats. They are awesome seats (Section 342 Row D Seat 13). As of now I don't have anyone to go back to St Louis for the Niners Thurs night game. I am looking to sell one ticket for that game to a Rams fan at face value ($124). Let me know if anyone is interested. Been a Rams fan since 1965. Jeff
Welcome to ROD, Jeff.

If I was out there in CA, I'd snatch that ticket up - but unfortunately I'm not.
We have a few guys from Cali on the board, so good luck.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jeffryan taking the plunge:

Named my second son Jeff. :bg:

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap: :cheers:

DOn't forget to stop by the members map and pin yourself bro. :nau:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
rams24/7 said:
but I don't like when people expect him to be like TO or Dez Bryant simply because of his measurables.

that's exactly who we want him to be. a dominant, uncoverable #1 wr.

he has it in him, it will just take time.

just go back and look at his td against the whiners and let me know which other wr on the rams roster can bring that to the table. i expect that kind of play from him regularly when he finally gets settled in to this nfl thingy.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rams24/7 said:
I agree wholeheartedly with every word you said, especially regarding Bailey's speed and his drive. His drive reminds me of DRich and Quick's lack of drive reminds of Pead. The WR situation may shake out very similarly to RB2 last year, with the lower draft pick/underdog performing higher than expectations and the higher pick/favorite not doing enough to hold him off

I have to disagree with you. I believe Quick's lack of productivity was mostly due to a raw, unpolished talent rather than a lack of drive. Comparing Pead to Quick is unfair. He came from a small school that basically let him run free while Pead ran against elite college talent. And, Rb is one of the easiest NFL positions to transition to from college while WR is one of the more difficult ones. Anyways, all I have been hearing from CoachO's reports - including his latest - is that Quick has been improving. Quick and Pettis have to really f*** up for Bailey to start receiving reps ACROSS from Givens THIS season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
jeffryan said:

Cool, wish I could tell you I'd take that ticket off your hands.

Hey X, is this a good time to suggest ROD have a "buy my extra ticket to a Ram's game" permanent thread? I know some of us end up going to a game by ourselves and it would be cool to sit with other ROD members in those cases. Just a thought.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Not sure if this has been said because I'm too lazy to read four pages of comments. I have stated numerous times that I think Bailey wins the starting job, however, I think if Quick earns the starting job than it is more beneficial to the team. Bailey is damn good and I believe he can produce in this league but if Quick can start to play up to his potential and skill set then we may end up having a top reciever on the outside. Pair him with Givens, who is emerging as a badass, and Austin, who can be a monster in the slot.

Based on measurables (which doesn't mean anything IMO. Fendi should have been a legend if it did) Quick has a game that can mimic Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, or Vincent Jackson.