Quick ends OTAs as #4 receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
@rotoworld: Brian Quick ends Rams OTAs as No. 4 receiver <a class="postlink" href="http://t.co/gauqFYNZ7A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.co/gauqFYNZ7A</a>

Second-year WR Brian Quick ended OTAs as the Rams' No. 4 receiver, behind Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Austin Pettis.

Annual t-shirt-and-shorts star Pettis spent the spring as the starting X receiver. Givens is the Z, and Austin will start in the slot. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch insists Quick's offseason was not necessarily a disappointment, "it's just that Pettis has been that impressive." Assured OC Brian Schottenheimer, "(Quick’s) doing a lot better. He’s stepped up this year. He’s just much more comfortable." Quick is competing directly with Pettis, who is an underwhelming possession receiver despite his big spring. The battle at X receiver will rage on into August.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch Jun 16 - 4:21 PM

----

Me; this means nothing but gets attention which is the intent of this article.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Quick ends OTAs as #4 receiver

I wouldn't be surprised or even disappointed really if Quick is the #4 receiver this season. With this group and I think what we are going to see in terms of spreading the ball around, it doesn't necessarily even mean he is the fourth biggest weapon at WR. I could easily see him having fewer yards and snaps than Pettis but more TDs for example. His yards to TD ratio could be way out of whack.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

No worries here IMO Austin Pettis is the girl with the great personality.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

den-the-coach said:
No worries here IMO Austin Pettis is the girl with the great personality.

I think Pettis is a nice WR, but I chuckle at the suggestion an OTA juggles any depth chart.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

CGI_Ram said:
I think Pettis is a nice WR,

I concur just not someone you want to run a fly pattern with!

SubZero405

UDFA

I'm sure by the time the regular season rolls around he'll overtake Pettis on the depth chart.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I think some of us are selling Pettis short. The X receiver is a reliable target, which Pettis certainly was at the end of last season. I'll take Schotty's word over some of the opinions here.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

This is a non-issue. Even if Quick remains 4th on the depth chart all year, it doesn't mean he won't have a good year. This O is going to spread the ball around and if Quick can be better than last year and he's 4th, it's a win-win.

FRO

Legend

I'm worried about Quick. He was picked too high to be just a guy. We need him to step up.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Like I told you guys from what I saw at OTAs...Pettis looked damn good. Quick had his moments.

Quick looked like the receiver more likely to make the big play. Pettis looked like an improved player that would fit in as a Ricky Proehl-esque role.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'd be very comfortable with pettis on the field. the 3rd year is when wrs really take off. all will be answred during preseason.

there's no need to hurry quick. when he's ready he will be the beast we all want him to be.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Sum1BTRthnU seeing it like I do:
Pettis looked like an improved player that would fit in as a Ricky Proehl-esque role.

Yep, It's what I've been saying all along. I also agree with what many of the posters here have been saying about their different skills sets. They're both gonna be valuable in their different ways.

I do think it might take a while for Quick to fully catch on. It's happened before to many great WRs who only caught on in their 3rd years.

…..

Legend

Not worried a bit about Quick. This just spells trouble for the teams defending us. RamHusker is dead on.

We could run Quick out there in a heartbeat. Guys will be interchangeable and we can give mutiple looks. I doubt there is any lack of confidence in his abilities. Article doesnt even mention Cook. At this point, its a numbers game and the numbers are in our favor. FINALLY.

Should make for some well rested recievers in the 2nd half....and most of our guys are speedy dudes. Played correctly, we have immense over the top possibilities, especially in the dome.

Rams should be Kings of the play action 65 yard bomb.

jap

Legend

I remember the Austin Pettis videos as he was coming out of college into the NFL draft. The guy was a human vacuum cleaner just sucking up any passes that intruded within his gravitational field. Like all rookies he had to make adjustments to NFL-caliber hits and the more complex NFL play books while serving as a backup receiver.

Towards the latter half of last season, his play started to resemble what he showed collegiately as he became more comfortable with his patterns and the hitting. Now he is getting ready to blossom as a fully mature NFL wideout.

Brian will get his opportunities. I can see red zone alignments with Pettis and Quick as the wideouts, Tavon in the slot, Jared on the line or in another slot, and Lance Kendricks in the backfield to initially protect Sam before leaking out late on his own pattern.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

I see the #3 and #4 wide receiver as 2 #3s changing in and out to better suit matches as well as resting others

A55VA6

Legend

I just don't know if I'm a Brian Quick believer. I need to see more. I hope he succeeds and proves me wrong, but I just don't know right now.

And I like Pettis. I think he gets better every single game. And don't forget.. he's been clutch in the redzone. I don't think he'll be dominant by any means, but he can be a guy we go to often. Pettis has good hands.

We have many weapons to spread the ball around. So any one of these guys could really flourish.

nighttrain

Legend

CGI_Ram said:
@rotoworld: Brian Quick ends Rams OTAs as No. 4 receiver <a class="postlink" href="http://t.co/gauqFYNZ7A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.co/gauqFYNZ7A</a>

Second-year WR Brian Quick ended OTAs as the Rams' No. 4 receiver, behind Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Austin Pettis.

Annual t-shirt-and-shorts star Pettis spent the spring as the starting X receiver. Givens is the Z, and Austin will start in the slot. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch insists Quick's offseason was not necessarily a disappointment, "it's just that Pettis has been that impressive." Assured OC Brian Schottenheimer, "(Quick’s) doing a lot better. He’s stepped up this year. He’s just much more comfortable." Quick is competing directly with Pettis, who is an underwhelming possession receiver despite his big spring. The battle at X receiver will rage on into August.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch Jun 16 - 4:21 PM

----

Me; this means nothing but gets attention which is the intent of this article.

Quick coming off huge learning 1st year, not surprised. The games and how he plays in them will tell us all we need to know. But he is the 4, not Bailey, which is good for Quick
train

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken

Is it just me that I think Pettis reminds me of Ricky Proehl on the way he's going to be used. Getting key first downs, and/or red zone TDs? I still think Quick (hoping) will be one of our starting WR's though.

Proehl wasn't our #1 or #2 (Bruce & Holt of course) or even our #3 (Hazkim). He was key to some 3rd down conversations/TD's back in the GSOT era. I have a feeling he will be used in the same manner....

chefRAMzy

UDFA
Name
Chef

im not knocking on pettis but this is just the OTAs, mostly all non-contact drills. Until we can see how well he does against a press, is when i believe he has improved. Remember when gibson was a camp warrior look at how well it didnt translate in games.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

chefRAMzy thinking the Pettis souffle might fall during real games:
im not knocking on pettis but this is just the OTAs, mostly all non-contact drills. Until we can see how well he does against a press, is when i believe he has improved. Remember when gibson was a camp warrior look at how well it didn't translate in games.

I think the second half of last season showed that Pettis will more likely rise to the occasion. :ww:

More importantly, I missed your first two posts so I'll welcome you now.

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :clap: