Quick check-in on the WR depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Cooper makes the team, he has value in STs as well. Spruce too. I think that the Rams will probably carry 7 Wrs, Tavon hasn't been healthy, I think McVay could use different WR sets for certain matchups, and the bottom end guys (Spruce, Thomas, Cooper) have value on special teams.

As I have said all along about the offensive line. They will go with 9 Offensive lineman.

I think Fisher went light on DB's last year, & that ended up costing The Rams games.They let JJ go & there big FA signing was released because he was so bad. Then when Tru went down against Buffalo it was all over. EJ Gaines was hurt as well.
TJ McDonald was coming off missing all of OTA's because of injury & his DUI.

Mo went down as well. Troy Hill does his driving thing as well. Getting cut & brought back.

Back to Copper. He was getting first team KR reps yesterday, plus lining up on the first unit. He just makes plays.
-Against the Chargers he stood out.

Spruuuce & Mannion are not on the same page. I don't know why they are not connecting much ?? I don't think Spruuce is getting the separation he needs to get.

---Copper is making plays & scoring in the red zone. I didn't look or see Spruuce on special teams. Upset I didn't look for it. -- Sam Rogers is working hard. He will make the team.

All the TE's stayed late.

Cory Harkey means more to The Rams than Spruuuce. He brings a different element to the team. McVay is a TE's coach. Seeing Cory Harkey working hard on his routes after practice was super cool. He was getting his reps in.
When Corey was done he was walking off by himself sort of with a little limp.Just a great veteran. Going to be hard to cut him. He also is a key blocker on kick returns & as a key blocker on field goals.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
if that interception is anything to go by spruce can't show what he's got. waaaay over him.

That is a fair statement. Spruuce though is no standout for sure.He catches a ball here & there. Mannion is having a tough time right now. D' pressure , good DB play. The 2nd string offensive line ?? Guys not getting open , or he just has trouble putting in on the numbers ?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
to be honest beyond Kupp Tavon and woods...there isn't a WR safe (or should be) IMO

thomas (peds plus suspension ) hasnt shown anything other than speed
Im not that high on cooper
i think spruce makes it

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Spruuuce & Mannion are not on the same page. I don't know why they are not connecting much ?? I don't think Spruuce is getting the separation he needs to get.

I don't think he ran that route correct I think he stopped short of the intended spot. I think he was suppose to go deeper than that.

lockdnram21

Legend
to be honest beyond Kupp Tavon and woods...there isn't a WR safe (or should be) IMO

thomas (peds plus suspension ) hasnt shown anything other than speed
Im not that high on cooper
i think spruce makes it
Mcvay basicall yt said that Thomas is safe and says he's a had a great off season

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Remind me what Thomas has done again.
Looks like the best wr on the team...potential #1....compliment to Spruce, Kupp, Cooper, and Woods....Add in Reynolds, and who are we missing?

Nothing Thomas did in mini-camp should erase his drops last year in real games..now add the suspension... he's not as high on the list IMO... Thomas has to prove he deserves to make this team...
Rookies drop the ball sometimes...there will even be a few by Kupp...and NO, I won't want to cut him....

Separation is the key...the guys that can separate stay...I feel all have pretty good hands.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvay basicall yt said that Thomas is safe and says he's a had a great off season
if the players that can play the first 4 games step up he might have problems seeing the field

and i might be wrong but he praised Grob too

im not saying he hasnt made the team ....but ..

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like the best wr on the team...potential #1....compliment to Spruce, Kupp, Cooper, and Woods....Add in Reynolds, and who are we missing?
youre backing thomas?

you do realize you just given him the walking papers right ....;)

how many players have you "supported" that are no longer here ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory Harkey means more to The Rams than Spruuuce. He brings a different element to the team. McVay is a TE's coach. Seeing Cory Harkey working hard on his routes after practice was super cool. He was getting his reps in.
When Corey was done he was walking off by himself sort of with a little limp.Just a great veteran. Going to be hard to cut him. He also is a key blocker on kick returns & as a key blocker on field goals.

I get where you're going but I'm not so sure about that. Rams are going to run a lot of one back sets and will also have their rookie FB getting snaps and looks in run & pass, so the way I see it Hark is in the same boat as Spruce in that both will probably be on the wrong side of the cuts.

People need to understand this is a passing offense now. We're going to throw it and hand it off to TGII with favorable looks. We're not going to be lining up and saying "here comes TGII now try to stop it," or otherwise try to schematically get the defense to load the box vs the run so we can throw it. Unlike previous years this offense IS going to have an identity and it will be scheming matchups that McVay likes and dictating to defenses through the air, with a complementary run game that can flip the field.

Only reason I think Hark has a chance to make this team is because we anticipate a lot of 12 personnel groups. But even then he's on the bubble. That position group to me is the hardest to predict, but IMO McVay is going to favor guys who defenses cannot predict. Higbee for example doesn't block as well as Hark but the difference is defenses need to make sure they can cover him and don't know what he's going to do. Hark is a tell in cleats. So gonna wait and see with this unit personally because tbh I just don't have a good feel.

WR is a little more clear I think. Spruce will be a cut UNLESS he has a lights out performance through this preseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I get where you're going but I'm not so sure about that. Rams are going to run a lot of one back sets and will also have their rookie FB getting snaps and looks in run & pass, so the way I see it Hark is in the same boat as Spruce in that both will probably be on the wrong side of the cuts.

People need to understand this is a passing offense now. We're going to throw it and hand it off to TGII with favorable looks. We're not going to be lining up and saying "here comes TGII now try to stop it," or otherwise try to schematically get the defense to load the box vs the run so we can throw it. Unlike previous years this offense IS going to have an identity and it will be scheming matchups that McVay likes and dictating to defenses through the air, with a complementary run game that can flip the field.

Only reason I think Hark has a chance to make this team is because we anticipate a lot of 12 personnel groups. But even then he's on the bubble. That position group to me is the hardest to predict, but IMO McVay is going to favor guys who defenses cannot predict. Higbee for example doesn't block as well as Hark but the difference is defenses need to make sure they can cover him and don't know what he's going to do. Hark is a tell in cleats. So gonna wait and see with this unit personally because tbh I just don't have a good feel.

WR is a little more clear I think. Spruce will be a cut UNLESS he has a lights out performance through this preseason.

IMO I think Cory Harkey makes the team. The main reason is special teams.
1. Chase Reynolds gone
2.Rhaney gone & Harkey is taking his place on KR's as the main blocker. He can catch the ball & is faster than Rhaney was. I'm not sure if they were opposites as the first 2 blockers for the Kick returner ? I know sometimes they have 2 KR's back.
P. Copper is the KR guy , taking Mike Thomas & Bennies place.

Cory can run different sets during a game. Say maybe 3 or 4 plays. McVay loves to call play action . Even motion from a 2 back with him stepping up to the line as a TE .
The QB(Goff) can make the read. He gives you more than Spruuuce. The Rams have a lot of WR in who they can put on the practice squad.It's about depth.

Now that Marques is gone it just gives Harkey a better chance on special teams. Say what you want ?

IMO I think Harkey over Spruuce. I said all along 7 WR's & Harkey is gone. After watching practice yesterday, I have a change of heart. Corey is a core Veteran in the locker room as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think he ran that route correct I think he stopped short of the intended spot. I think he was suppose to go deeper than that.

I don't know about that. I've just noticed Mannion having a tough time finding receivers, or just missing badly ? He threw a DART to Thomas. I did a double take seeing number 88 . He dropped it , but man he riffled it. All most frustrated like. He has thrown a lot of balls out of bounce. Maybe because of good coverage. The Rams back up DB's are playing real well.

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree, and I think Spruce is a Lock for the #6 spot!(y):D
I think Cooper has inside track on the 6th spot it also helps that he's the kick returner... I see it hard for Spruce to make this team.... Then theres already 2 better options in Woods and Kupp to do what spruce does

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO I think Harkey over Spruuce. I said all along 7 WR's & Harkey is gone. After watching practice yesterday, I have a change of heart. Corey is a core Veteran in the locker room as well.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if that happened, since teams do matter with that bottom of the roster. It just comes down to what you're doing at the other "bubble" spots and how your overall special teams strength looks.

If they keep 7 WRs then I think Spruce makes the team. But yeah that's very unlikely. Looks like the sixth spot will come down to Cooper vs Spruce with Cooper having the advantage in terms of offering flexibility. No real other way to see it to my eye at least. So Spruce probably makes the team out of preseason but come week 5 he's the cut, barring good production in the preseason and early season schedule.

Harkey if he makes the team will have to make it as one of his position group. And special teams is his strongest asset at this point, I agree there.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Cooper has inside track on the 6th spot it also helps that he's the kick returner... I see it hard for Spruce to make this team.... Then theres already 2 better options in Woods and Kupp to do what spruce does
We'll see how things pan out. I have my hopes!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm down to trade Tavon. Kupp is eventually going to be our Number 1 guy. Woods across from him and Cooper in the slot. Unless Austin shows he can take the top off the defense this year I don't see him sticking around. McVay don't play no games.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This is what I want to see TA do...No more dancing behind the LOS, just jet through the route all the way to the EZ!
tavon-austin.gif

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm down to trade Tavon. Kupp is eventually going to be our Number 1 guy. Woods across from him and Cooper in the slot. Unless Austin shows he can take the top off the defense this year I don't see him sticking around. McVay don't play no games.
I'm like I ng what I'm hearing about Kupp but I still don't think he will be a legit #1.... He will probably be a real good #2... Our #1 probably isn't even on the team....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm all over the place regarding that final WR cut, tbh.

I will stipulate that I have no real horse in this race. I trust these coaches to make the best cutdown decisions, completely.

But my best guess as of 8/8?

Tavon gets traded away in a fire sale. We eat a lot of his salary and gain a 6th or a 7th.

Then they keep only 6 WR's.

Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Thomas
Reynolds
Spruce
McRoberts (Until Thomas comes off suspension)

If they keep Tavon, then we lose Spruce or McRoberts at final cutdown and the other when Thomas comes off suspension.

I don't like it, but the numbers can't be massaged, sooooo...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon gets traded away in a fire sale. We eat a lot of his salary and gain a 6th or a 7th.

I have a similar feeling right now. He has to show this regime they can count on him at some point this preseason, otherwise moving him becomes a legitimate option. I know fans love the guy and what he can bring and all, but the staff has to project him to doing that in their offense this season for him to have value to them.

If it does come to that, then I think they will get a lot more than a late round pick too. Tavon still has some value, but if they keep him this year and he doesn't produce he will have zero value. It's a tough thing IMO, and the fact that he has the ability to make you look stupid if he does click elsewhere will weigh in his favor in terms of them keeping him. But they still have to be confident they'll see it from him.