Quick check-in on the WR depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks like McVay has let the cat out of the bag wrt Thomas. Seems to me he's got a roster spot when he returns. Assuming we keep 6 and with my own take for which spots they are best served:

Guaranteed roster spots
1. Woods. Y>Z. Not ideal at X (speed) but experienced and can do it if needed.
2. Kupp. Y>Z. Could probably play X but not ideal (speed).
3. Austin. Z>X. With his speed they need him outside, Z can be schemed for release from LOS.
4. Thomas. X>Z. May end up being their best option at X tbh.

Fighting for two roster spots
1. Reynolds. X. 4th round pick for this regime so probably gets one of the roster spots.
2. Cooper. Y. 4th round pick a year ago, been very visible with first team in Austin's absence.
3. Spruce. Y. Fan favorite and UDFA who looks like he's facing a cut by week 5 at the latest.
4. McRoberts. Y. Been doing some good things here and there by some accounts.
5. Ryan. Y. Caught a real nice fade in practice the other day, I think Rams really like him.

Looking at the above it's no wonder Marquez was waived. Good to let him have opportunity with another team as a special teams swiss army knife. Those last two cuts are gonna be tough.

Weakness of this WR corps still resides at X. Austin probably gets owned on the LOS by a top CB still. Thomas is suspended four games and has yet to show what the staff saw in OTAs (although he looked real good in routes on side of field in practice). And Reynolds is a rookie. Woods, thus, probably eats the most snaps there, which is not ideal. So I'm hoping for a hail mary with Thomas developing.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I wouldn't say Thomas is locked in. We haven't even played a preseason game yet. Though I personally do hope he makes the team outright. Think he could blow up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you can switch Reynolds and Thomas.

Maybe so, hard to say. But I ended up going with Thomas' projection to being ready to play putting him above Reynolds. Chances are both are likely to get roster spots though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Keep 6? Maybe. I think McRoberts and Ryan on the outside looking in and if Thomas sticks after suspension, a tough cut will have to be made.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll say it again.

If Spruce stays healthy, I don't see how McVay can cut him.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gonna come down to who can get separation and hang onto the ball. Thomas has 4 pre season games to prove he's changed his spots.

I have a hard time believing McVay will keep 3 smurfs under 5'10 at WR.

There WILL be surprises.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say it again.

If Spruce stays healthy, I don't see how McVay can cut him.
So if he's healthy but drops more passes than he catches in the preseason games he can't not make the team? If he's healthy but gets out played by 6 or 7 WR's he can't not make the team? I get it people like him but there is no way we as fans can make definitive statements like this :) IMO he's #7 on my list if we keep 7.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So if he's healthy but drops more passes than he catches in the preseason games he can't not make the team? If he's healthy but gets out played by 6 or 7 WR's he can't not make the team? I get it people like him but there is no way we as fans can make definitive statements like this :) IMO he's #7 on my list if we keep 7.

Drops more passes than he catches, OldSchool?

We are talking about Spruce, aren't we?

That's the thing. He catches the ball. And he gets open. Smart football player.

He's not a burner, but he is a coach's dream.

I just don't see 6 more effective WR's on this current roster, frankly. The WR bar ain't THAT high on this roster. Lol.

I want to see Spruce in some PS action with my own eyes. After that, it will be easier to evaluate his chances.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After watching the way mcvay speaks about Thomas i think we can safely lock in 5wrs. Tavon, woods, kupp, Reynolds and Thomas. Obviously his suspension drops him off the list for the first 4 games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drops more passes than he catches, OldSchool?

We are talking about Spruce, aren't we?

That's the thing. He catches the ball. And he gets open. Smart football player.

He's not a burner, but he is a coach's dream.

I just don't see 6 more effective WR's on this current roster, frankly. The WR bar ain't THAT high on this roster. Lol.

I want to see Spruce in some PS action with my own eyes. After that, it will be easier to evaluate his chances.
Woods
Austin
Cooper
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Spruce and McRoberts (who provides the same stuff as Spruce and both to a lesser degree than what Woods and Kupp provide).

Spruce was nice for a single preseason game last year but seems to be made out to be the next big thing at WR for us. Could he turn into that? Maybe, but we need to see it more than for just one game and he needs to stay healthy. If that happens then great I'll cheer him on but we need to really cool our jets with projecting greatness from one preseason game vs backups.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods
Austin
Cooper
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas
Spruce and McRoberts (who provides the same stuff as Spruce and both to a lesser degree than what Woods and Kupp provide).

Spruce was nice for a single preseason game last year but seems to be made out to be the next big thing at WR for us. Could he turn into that? Maybe, but we need to see it more than for just one game and he needs to stay healthy. If that happens then great I'll cheer him on but we need to really cool our jets with projecting greatness from one preseason game vs backups.

Agreed that Spruce must stay healthy AND produce consistently, rather than just one PS game. OldSchool. No question.

But, assuming that both things occur, I think that he's almost impossible for McVay to cut. Other than straight line speed, he's a coaches (and QB's) Dream.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed that Spruce must stay healthy AND produce consistently, rather than just one PS game. OldSchool. No question.

But, assuming that both things occur, I think that he's almost impossible for McVay to cut. Other than straight line speed, he's a coaches (and QB's) Dream.
Again that last part is assumption, he already has a couple guys that provide what Spruce does. What he needs and what we've all somewhat agreed the team needs is speed and deep threats. There are 3 WR's similar to Spruce in Woods, Kupp and Cooper who do what Spruce does and better or healthier. Woods was signed under the McVay regime and Kupp was drafted by him. IMO if Spruce makes the team it's over Cooper or he has Thomas' spot during the suspension and has to prove his worth big time in those 4 games.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody ever wonder if the Spruce 'undisclosed' injury was a 'stash' by Fish? Spruce has mentioned the injury before, but even when he mentioned it - it seemed ingenuine.

I know that Spruce has been spending a lot of time with Gurley this offseason, and already was close with Goff. That should speak good for him.

Right now, I think Cooper Kupp is just lighting the WR room up with his knowledge and ability to read defenses. For his QB (Goff) to say "He's probably one of the smartest players on our team", that speaks volumes. I've also heard he's been helping other receivers line up.

I also think that Mcvay is a big fan of Pharoah Cooper.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/TRANSCRIPT-Sean-McVay-Day-9-Training-Camp-Press-Conference/187bf26e-e329-4ee3-ae63-d1e4066af7ff

(On what he saw from WR Michael Thomas)

“I think we wanted to be smart with (WR) Mike (Thomas), just getting him back out here for the first time, so just kind of running him on some routes and getting him on individual. We’re hoping that Mike will pick up where he left off in the offseason program and that was continuing to improve and become a more complete receiver. Like we talked about, I think you feel that vertical speed that he has, that gives us a nice option, an element in our pass game and looking forward to just kind of progressing and building with him as we move towards the season and knowing that we won’t get him back until Week 5. But, it’s good to get Mike back out here.”

(On if he will use Thomas in the preseason)

“We will and it’s going to be an interesting plan there too because knowing that you’re not going to have him for those first four weeks, you still want to get him that work knowing that he’s a part of our plans for the season if things go the way that we anticipate and getting him back Week 5. So, it’s a delicate balance of making sure that he gets the work that he can, but you’re also mindful that you’re not going to have him for the first part of the season.”

It appears, based off of McVay's comments, that Thomas does have a place and a role in the roster. The full transcript of his press conference is in the link.