Quick a Bust?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blueberry

UDFA
Name
Joey
People expect kids to come into the NFL now and be All-Pro. It's a bit ridiculous.

I'm a Dallas fan (heeeyyy hows it goin) and I remember in the start of his 3rd year when Dez ran some awful routes that led to ints and had some fumbles, everyone broke out the bust chant.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Why the hell has Givens fallen off the map? Last year I attributed to a sophmore slump, but this year he should be back in his role of taking the top off the defense. Is he just pissed about being down the depth chart? Or is it QB play?

I'm seeing lack of passion. OTAs, TC, PS, and in games. I just don't see the effort. My bet is Bailey has us all asking "Givens who?" Within a few games.

RamzFanz

Damnit
People expect kids to come into the NFL now and be All-Pro. It's a bit ridiculous.

I'm a Dallas fan (heeeyyy hows it goin) and I remember in the start of his 3rd year when Dez ran some awful routes that led to ints and had some fumbles, everyone broke out the bust chant.

Welcome. Yeah, quick isn't on anyone's radar but he's emerged as a #1. Expect to hear his name a lot on Sunday.

Other Dallas fans have come here talking about Austin and Givens when Quick is the real threat. If Dallas sleeps bailey, he'll burn them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Problem for Givens is that we don't throw deep without Bradford. Not really.

And we're really focusing on the run game and short and intermediate passes in order to have a ball-control offense. Bradford had the accuracy to really take the top off of offenses. He had the arm to hit those deep balls without putting too much air under them.

All of the other receivers do the other things better. If there were a player who's missing Bradford the most, it's got to be Givens...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Why the hell has Givens fallen off the map? Last year I attributed to a sophmore slump, but this year he should be back in his role of taking the top off the defense. Is he just pissed about being down the depth chart? Or is it QB play?

He's mainly a deep threat with limited route running skills. Add that with playing QBs who lack arm strength and he won't be effective. I'd say Givens was moreso a product of Bradford, although he is more than capable of being a role player for us if he can improve on some of his route running or beating press coverage.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO the other WR talent around Givens just passed him by: Quick has arrived. Britt had a solid camp. Austin is more valuable. Bailey is better and Pettis is the "veteran" clutch guy.
Givens has failed to follow up on his rookie year and get better.

So the moral of the story is player does awful gets criticised, player does good gets praised. Didn't we know that already?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, I like that.

But to be honest, I don't think he's really getting an adequate chance right now. I just think he's playing that well.
This is true, but I don't want any team to 'Key' on our 1 good receiver, and stop our passing attach. I want them to have to worry about ALL of our WR's and TE's!!;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's mainly a deep threat with limited route running skills. Add that with playing QBs who lack arm strength and he won't be effective. I'd say Givens was moreso a product of Bradford, although he is more than capable of being a role player for us if he can improve on some of his route running or beating press coverage.

Did you just suggest Bradford elevated others? :sneaky:

:LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First pick in the 2nd round, most fans expected a starter out of that spot.

But Quick was never "a year one starter" and the Rams knew that before they made the pick. (Side note GRob in similar light as far as readiness)

Has Quick arrived? I've said this all offseason; he's working hard. He's demonstrated progress every year. I am not sure he's arrived but he looks like he belongs out there and its very exciting.

If there is a reason to hold expectations in check; Minnesota and Tampa aren't looking like very good teams.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The people calling Quick (an undercoached and underutilized small school player) a bust were the same people calling Chris Long a bust.

Remember the Rams Talk boards and how many threads called CL a bust? Now you don't see that...even on Rams talk. I love that some of those ass hats who ruined Rams Talk have to eat crow on this too

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't recall ever seeing anybody calling him a bust on here, just disappointed. Hard not to be, project players are known for that, because you can see what it should be, but you also see it not coming together and it drives you insane. I know some people from places that are less cool than this place did, but what can you do about the nancies that think the world ends the minute a QB doesn't make a deep pass? They're the type of guys who are why Madden chastises you for not going deep on first down and have made football little more than fast food. Instant gratification now, ramifications later.

Projects like GRob and Quick elude them.

jjab360

Legend
The people calling Quick (an undercoached and underutilized small school player) a bust were the same people calling Chris Long a bust.

Remember the Rams Talk boards and how many threads called CL a bust? Now you don't see that...even on Rams talk. I love that some of those ass hats who ruined Rams Talk have to eat crow on this too
Same thing happened with Quinn even though he had double digit sacks after his second year smh.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
In my experience the thing that I hear regarding Quick is that they could have had Alshon Jeffery. So (unfairly) the two are kind of doomed to be linked together. Apparently some fans just don't grasp that these are two different teams with entirely different systems, so if one player breaks out for 1,000 and 10 TDs, the other should too.

Rampage99

UDFA
Name
Mike
I think the stars are aligning for Quick to have a huge game. He has played well against tougher secondaries the last two weeks and with Bailey back it may take some pressure off. I am looking forward to his first 150+ game this week with at least one TD.

nighttrain

Legend
In my experience the thing that I hear regarding Quick is that they could have had Alshon Jeffery. So (unfairly) the two are kind of doomed to be linked together. Apparently some fans just don't grasp that these are two different teams with entirely different systems, so if one player breaks out for 1,000 and 10 TDs, the other should too.
some get it and some people dont, it's weird
train

fearsomefour

Legend
It is easy to get emotional with a persons team and make rash statements. So and so is a bust. So and so is the next HOF whoever.
Too many variables to write a guy off or hold him up on high until the results are in. I held out hope for Jason Smith until his last year here. I will never really declare a guy a bust because who knows what is going on behind the scenes. Someone like Pead may have put his personal, immaturity issues behind him and been ready to bust out, but, bad luck....got injured. If he never comes back, is he a bust? Who knows?
I thought it was just plain silly people who were calling for Quick to be cut or whatever. Still a young with massive physical talent who is young in the league. If you sign a guy who is 5 years in who is still carrying the "potential" tag....well, that is probably different. I thought it was silly to bash Pettis. He is a solid pro WR. I think what people do is see what someone else who plays the same position, makes the same money or is the same age is doing and make a linear comparison. Each player is different with their own learning curve and skill set. Just because someone taken the same year as Pettis is tearing it up, or just because he is not 6' 5" or does not run a 4.3 does not mean he has no role or no skill or no contribution.

(**I realize I am being hypocritical when it comes to Cook....where I constantly compare him to other TEs with time in the NFL and a high pay scale.)