Question on Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Is it just me, or when the cameras pan to Wade during defensive sequences, he doesn’t seem to be calling the plays. My guess is that he’s in charge of the defensive scheme overall but perhaps he’s delegated playcalling to someone else.

Am I wrong, or who is the one actually doing it if I’m right?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Is it just me, or when the cameras pan to Wade during defensive sequences, he doesn’t seem to be calling the plays. My guess is that he’s in charge of the defensive scheme overall but perhaps he’s delegated playcalling to someone else.

Am I wrong, or who is the one actually doing it if I’m right?

Wade is using telepathy to call the plays, and the D is that much in sync to grasp his way of coaching. Joking aside, it seems like he isn't but most likely he is, or he can be delegating it, but they aren't showing whoever it is on the camera.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He may have others signaling them in but he holds the play chart IIRR so I’m sure he’s calling them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Curious how long he intends to coach? Probably a lifer that will coach as long as possible which I assume is doable. I mean the Cards have nearly an entire staff in their 70's or older. They probably have Silver Alerts going off right and left during their games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
His headset goes to the booth above...or/.and to Ogletree....I'd guess.

He's a calm sucker tho, huh? While McVay is easily seen moving his mouth calling the offense.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defensive calls surely are less complicated than the offensive calls ...quicker to call in ?

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
And it's probably formation specific. Most calls on the field would need to know which formation, personnel package, etc before the calls are made. He probably has down and distance specifics he "tweaks" whether to a subordinate or directly to Ogletree.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He probably doesn't call every play, trusts Ogletree to get the guys set up in the right places .
Wade probably makes changes when things are not going well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Defensive calls surely are less complicated than the offensive calls ...quicker to call in ?

He probably doesn't call every play, trusts Ogletree to get the guys set up in the right places .
Wade probably makes changes when things are not going well.

Yeah in a game there's going to be a lot of down/distance situations where the defense plays its gameplan, it's not like an offense where a given play has to be called every down. The great DCs are the ones who have a strong feel for the adjustments from the gameplan in real time, half time, etc. But make no mistake, Wade's in charge, as it should be.