Question for the Watkins and Tavon advocates...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd argue that as mentioned it's the system that the Rams deploy on O. Lots of guys are getting the ball.

Not sure if you are a hoops fan but think of this as a team with a fantastic point guard in a system that is designed to get players in place for shots. Maybe there isn't a guy getting 32 plus points on average every night but there are three guys getting 18-22.

Used to say this all the time about Magic and the Lakers. He could easily have averaged 30 pts a game, but he focused on running the offense and keeping everyone involved and exploiting the D.

I have no doubt that if needed, Watkins, Woods or Kupp could be a 1400 yard receiver.

But as the great Herm Edwards pointed out, you play to win the game. Watkins is an integral part of an offense that went from worst to first more than doubling last season's output.

I'd rather our offense that doesn't live or die with one guy (beyond Goff and Gurley) rather than those where if one guy goes down, they're sunk.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Personally, I dont understand how anyone can question what he brings to this offense and this team and how much he truly contributes.

39 catches for >600 yards for a #1 WR that played all 16 games is what im questioning

nighttrain

Legend
39 catches for >600 yards for a #1 WR that played all 16 games is what im questioning
I'm of the opinion that Watkins and Goff need TC to get on the same page, T Austin, fogetaboutit. But we'll all know soon, haha, contracts are what speak loudest

train

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

stats dont tell the full story of what he brings to the team. now if you're talking about the money he will likely be paid being worth what he brings, thats a different topic. but theres really no question that he helps the team WAY more than the stats would suggest

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have to trust in McVay's opinion on what to do with either player.

Obviously, I don't believe that Austin was worth his contract in the Fisher offense, much less a McVay offense that is far more pragmatic and efficient. He doesn't even deserve to be mentioned near Watkins as a wide receiver threat.

But someone made an interesting point about what stats we expected from Watkins when we traded for him, and do you want to know what I was thinking? I wasn't thinking about potential stats, I was thinking, "holy shit, we're not going to be a basement dwelling offense anymore". I mean, I was thinking the same thing when they signed Whitworth and traded Robinson.

Same with the draft, I was wondering if we overpaid for offense and ignored some obvious needs on defense, especially after a system change there and such a highly touted corner draft.

Did we overpay across the board to improve the offense and sacrifice our defense? Sure, but the record supports that balance was in order ;) Now, my only curiosity, because like I said, I trust McVay, my question is at what point can we stop overpaying to improve the offense? To that point the OP isn't far off.

I think this team is a little short on draft capital to improve their offensive efficiency even if you think that Watkins isn't worth top WR money, and you know that you need depth at LT. If you consider monetary efficiency, you have to also consider the LB position as probably the sticking point in cost vs. performance after a base system change. I also think that while you're considering Watkins monetary worth to the offense since they've clawed out of the basement, you should probably also consider Johnson's value to the defense as our top corner.

Last edited: