Question For Draftniks Et Al

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
What is your thought about Clinton Dix at Safety? I'm just not that enthralled with him; especially if it were our 2nd first round pick. I think there are some better value Safeties (if they go that route) into the 2nd. I'm not against him but I don't see him as a top-15 pick (at least for the Rams)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Ramifications

If a stud CB has a better grade than the safeties, we need that, too, in which I don't want to make a positional reach for a safety just to get one. I like Pryor, too. If we don't trade up from 1.13 (to try and get Watkins and Robinson?), and the top CBs and safeties don't grade out in the top half of the first round (I think last year Vaccaro was a consensus mid-first more so than Clinton-Dix this year?), maybe we trade down to the late teens or eary twenties, where I would like the value of the DBs (or maybe LT/guard-tweener like Notre Dame's Martin) better. Than again, if after the process one of the safeties does grade that high, than I do think the secondary needs a serious infusion of talent.

Unless we get a cheaper option, not counting on getting Byrd or Verner in free agency, I'd much rather spend that money on Saffold (and we need to start thinking about extending Quinn at some point in the future) and upgrade the secondary through the draft.

Last edited:

ausmurp

Starter
He's the best natural FS in the draft. Like Eric Reid last year. I think he can start from day 1 and make an immediate impact. People aren't high on him because he doesn't make the 'big hit', but I don't care about that. I want a FS with the best range and cover ability, and that is what this guy is IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't want a Safety in the first round at all. Maybe 2nd round. There isn't a guy I want that early. Lots of good Safeties go after the 1st round. If there was an Earl Thomas, then that would be different. But there isn't.

This first round is getting pretty easy for me now.

If we stay with 2 picks in the top 13, I want Watkins and Matthews or Robinson. But I am intrigued by Lee.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Dix might be the best FS type in this draft, an would start from game 1. He would be a large a upgrade for sure. That said, comparing him to some others from recent drafts he would be a 2nd rounder.

Ramifications

Dix might be the best FS type in this draft, an would start from game 1. He would be a large a upgrade for sure. That said, comparing him to some others from recent drafts he would be a 2nd rounder.

Not sure he wouldn't have been a first rounder in 2013 (nearly four went, with Elam at #32 and Cyprien at #33) or 2011/2012 (not as good safety classes).

He isn't as good a prospect as Vaccaro, former Alabama safety Barron, Thomas or Berry.

Some scouts don't have a first round grade on him (like Russ Lande), but I don't think that is the consensus. How fast he runs and tests in the explosiveness/agility drills at the Combine could be big.

laramsoriginal

Starter
HaHa has the athletic ability to make a difference for the rams day one.

I say end up at 8 OR 10TH then draft a CB.
Trade down from 13 to about 18-21st and take HaHa...rams should get at least two additional 2nd round picks while making those two moves. With 3 second round picks, use them on OG, OG, OT.