Question about Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I do not follow the college players like so many of you. I pretty much stick to Mizzou. But my buddy was telling me that McShay had Robinson ranked higher than any Tackle he had graded ever. Beating out his former number one O.Pace. Is this a true story or is he making shit up?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesn't mean he didn't start grading people. Lol

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't recall a run blocker coming out as devastating as G. Robinson, but he's a tough nut to crack evaluating his pass-pro, because of limited opportunities. I need to see his technique, feet, hand use, punch, and quickness compared to others at his position at the combine. Mostly feet, and quickness. The other stuff can be taught if he has the feet, and quickness.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I do not follow the college players like so many of you. I pretty much stick to Mizzou. But my buddy was telling me that McShay had Robinson ranked higher than any Tackle he had graded ever. Beating out his former number one O.Pace. Is this a true story or is he making crap up?

I heard him say in the podcast PhxRam posted the other day, that Robinson has the most raw athletic talent of any tackle he's seen come out since Pace. Idk if that's what he's talkin about

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I heard him say in the podcast PhxRam posted the other day, that Robinson has the most raw athletic talent of any tackle he's seen come out since Pace. Idk if that's what he's talkin about
Yeah ... I wasn't paying close attention .. but I thought I heard something like that. Also ... Fisher and Snead have deep ties to Auburn ... so Robinson is a very likely pick

Alan

Legend
I need to see his technique, feet, hand use, punch, and quickness compared to others at his position at the combine. Mostly feet, and quickness. The other stuff can be taught if he has the feet, and quickness.
Is that true?
Didn't Jason Smith do very well in the combine?
Might be generally true but that's not given IMO.

jjab360

Legend
Is that true?
Smith was so overrated. There were at least half a dozen O-linemen just last year that were more athletic than Smith. Off the top of my head there was Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, Terron Armstead, Kyle Long, Jonathan Cooper, and a lot more later on in the draft. The list of linemen that were more powerful than he was is a heck of a lot longer than that one.

I still have no idea how the heck he got picked second overall.

jjab360

Legend
SpagsVaney????
That still doesn't explain all the hype that he received from the media. Everybody was talking about the kid like he was the next OP, when there was pretty much nothing special about him. I understand that was a particularly weak year for the draft, but it still just doesn't add up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SpagsVaney????

Devaney kept drooling about his run blocking ability and how he would monster whoever was in front of him.

But when you Draft someone at #2 you need them to be able to pass protect more. Ends would use smith's aggressiveness against him and get him off balance. He was a turnstile as a LT.

The guy was a project. They should have known he was a project. An awful pick, especially with so much money on the line. Not that there was much better behind him but that doesn't excuse the pick.

Alan

Legend
Smith was so overrated. There were at least half a dozen O-linemen just last year that were more athletic than Smith. Off the top of my head there was Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, Terron Armstead, Kyle Long, Jonathan Cooper, and a lot more later on in the draft. The list of linemen that were more powerful than he was is a heck of a lot longer than that one.

I'd have to do some research but I think the standards have morphed since Smith was picked.
They seem to be more athletic now.
I'll bet Smiths numbers are close to what Matthews will come up with.
Or not.
I wanted Monroe.
He was much better than Smith but still only mediocre.
Bad year to draft LOTs yes?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Is that true?
Not in the same class, and Smith had terrible feet, and poor change of direction. Technique wise, he never improved, now some guys can only play from one side. My personal theory on Smith is that he didn't work hard enough in the offseason on his pass-pro technique, because I noticed that he hadn't improved. I also called that he wouldn't be on our team after I watched him in preseason. I thought we'd cut him, but the Rams were smarter and at least traded him for someone else.

Alan, there is one thing that you can't measure, and that is heart. Nobody in the draft is a can't miss, but he has something that other guys don't, sheer power ans athleticism. J. Smith was always stiff, and I documented a lot of his faults at the time. It turned out being an extremely weak class overall, including the OL, but I never wanted Smith.

I look at him starting as a guard, and being taught how to play OT in a pro offense. Robinson that is.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
I look at him starting as a guard, and being taught how to play OT in a pro offense. Robinson that is.
I doubt that will be the case at first.
Someone has to start the year at LT until Long is good to go.
I see LT/RT then Guard then Tackle again in the end.
So we're close.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I doubt that will be the case at first.
Someone has to start the year at LT until Long is good to go.
I see LT/RT then Guard then Tackle again in the end.
So we're close.
I agree if Long is not ready, and it will be good work for him, but there's no reason for him to play over Barksdale at first. Plug him in at guard and let him break some defenders.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Lack of better options.

That draft was terrible.

fearsomefour

Legend
You remember teams not bothering to line guys up opposite of Pace in parts of his last game. Pace was one of the most dominant OT in college in the modern era. I doubt Matthews or Robinson is near that point.
I think Matthews is more polished but the more I read the better Robinson sounds. The idea of him being able to cut his teeth inside seems good. Robinson has only played LT so keeping him at LG makes sense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comparing Robinson to Pace is a stretch. But he has incredible power. Still has technical issues to iron out. Really need to see more of him on an island in pass pro. I know he can anchor but how is his kick-slide, balance, coordination, punch, hand use, etc. Hard to tell in Auburn's O.

He has that same sort of power that Andre Smith had but without all that girth and better athleticism. However, until I see him more in pass pro, I can't rank him over Matthews and I can't buy into the claims that he's the best since Pace. There have been some great OT prospects since Pace including Jake Long, Joe Thomas and Chris Samuels.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I heard the claim as well. I think it was on the First Draft Podcast. I definitely remember the word "RAW" and thinking that I don't want to see us take anther raw player, especially that high. I would rather have a day one starter like Matthews if it's going to take Robinson a half season, or something, to get on the field. Assuming Matthews is a day one starter and eventual long-term solution at LT.