Question about read option/sack stat where AD didn't get a sack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
So I was re-watching the game and in the first quarter about 5:25 left Wilson fakes the hand-off and is then tackled 2 yards behind the LOS. So I thought because he didn't hand it off it's a sack. But apparently AD only got a tackle for a loss.
So my question is why isn't it a sack? If the QB doesn't hand it off is he then considered runner because he starts to move forward making himself a RB?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually I have no idea but it sounds about right

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So my question is why isn't it a sack?
More likely because the option to pass wasn't assumed on this particular play...running plays, when stopped behind the LOS are tackles for loss....sack is an attempt to pass but tackled behind the LOS....hope this helps...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
More likely because the option to pass wasn't assumed on this particular play...running plays, when stopped behind the LOS are tackles for loss....sack is an attempt to pass but tackled behind the LOS....hope this helps...

Yeah that's what I figured. Kinda sucks for AD not getting his first sack.
Gracias..

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Since the QB can throw the ball at any time while behind the LOS, it's dumb that it's considered a TFL.
Especially since a QB has different rules in place to protect him, rules that no other offensive position is given....
For example, if a RB who occasionally throws a pass, is tackled behind the LOS, it's not a sack.
If he runs with the ball, he isn't a QB so hitting him during a slide is legal.
A QB can fake a hand off, roll out of the pocket and then choose to pass or run. On a "designed run" he still has the option to pass.

It's not a big deal but it's a ridiculously dumb rule that serves zero purpose but to give the ref the choice of awarding a defensive player a TFL or a sack- which are significantly more difficult to record for a DT.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Agreed AD should have been credited with half a sack. Forgot the other dude who tackled him as well. Maybe Sims?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So I was re-watching the game and in the first quarter about 5:25 left Wilson fakes the hand-off and is then tackled 2 yards behind the LOS. So I thought because he didn't hand it off it's a sack. But apparently AD only got a tackle for a loss.
So my question is why isn't it a sack? If the QB doesn't hand it off is he then considered runner because he starts to move forward making himself a RB?
Yeah, he in fact becomes the runner in that case.