Question about Long Snapper Recruiting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why at the Senior Bowl were the Rams interviewing a Long Snapper? As far as I know, Jake McQuaide has been golden for us for several years, and is only about 29-30 years old. Why would the Rams be exploring this option?

Name
Rod
I think you never close the door on any position. Jake is due more money, sometime these guys price themselves out of the market. New talent is usually cheaper.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It probably doesn't hurt negotiations either to let him know that they have other options. I'm sure they want to keep him, but if money becomes too big an issue, time to look elsewhere.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It probably doesn't hurt negotiations either to let him know that they have other options. I'm sure they want to keep him, but if money becomes too big an issue, time to look elsewhere.
He has just been so good. The only reason that I know him is that he has been with the team almost the longest of anyone, and always does his job well. It's a position where you take it for granted and the player is almost faceless, until he screws up...A new guy might screw up, so I don't know why giving a reliable player a few hundred more thousand to stay on a team in a multi-billion dollar industry, is that big of a deal.

nighttrain

Legend
our center is not the problem, rules are. He has to take vet min, new center can take a much lower salary. it's a numbers game
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His minimum salary would be $915k for 2018. A rookie would be owed $480k. I agree, they should pay that, but what if he is asking for a bump more? At some point that is money that can be used for a starter instead.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why at the Senior Bowl were the Rams interviewing a Long Snapper? As far as I know, Jake McQuaide has been golden for us for several years, and is only about 29-30 years old. Why would the Rams be exploring this option?

Dude - really ? Questioning why The Rams are scouting someone ?

You talk about McQuades value & at a postion of being overlooked. Then why not scout that position as well as any position ?

Yes McQuade is a 2 time pro bowler & is a stud. He practices with LBer squad & is form is superb .

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude - really ? Questioning why The Rams are scouting someone ?

You talk about McQuades value & at a postion of being overlooked. Then why not scout that position as well as any position ?

Yes McQuade is a 2 time pro bowler & is a stud. He practices with LBer squad & is form is superb .
Yeah, really (are you kidding me?).

They only researched some positions, so why do it for a position that is strong, and to replace a guy who earns the league minimum?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They only researched some positions, so why do it for a position that is strong, and to replace a guy who earns the league minimum?

How healthy is he? Has he been developing nagging injuries? Were there several very good prospects at the Senior Bowl they wanted to consider? Has his agent been making noises about being paid significantly more than the 7 year veteran minimum? Did the person the Rams sent to look at special teams at the Senior Bowl have extra time? (after all, I doubt that the coaches looking at wide receivers are who looked at long snappers).

There could be many reasons for them to look at long snappers, most of which we wouldn't know about. Perhaps one of which is to see who they should ask to camp as a NRI, since they want to have some idea of injury replacements, just in case.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

There is such a thing called injuries .

Scouting is scouting. You talk to as many players as you can.

When McVay was with say the Skins. He was able to scout a player such as Jared Goff or Wentz still knowing they were not going to draft them.

Why ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is such a thing called injuries .

Scouting is scouting. You talk to as many players as you can.

When McVay was with say the Skins. He was able to scout a player such as Jared Goff or Wentz still knowing they were not going to draft them.

Why ?
We are talking about Long Snapper, not Quarterback. McQuaide was a UDFA and Goff/Wentz were #1 and #2 in the draft. Why? because the value of the positions and maybe knowledge about possible strengths/weaknesses and who may want them at certain trading spots for due diligence's sake (from a Redskin perspective). The writer who reported that the Rams were examining Long Snappers, only mentioned a few other positions (like maybe 5?), not every starting position on the team like it was a general thing...This is why it was curious to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

If you fail to prepare, you are prepared to fail. Rams doing their due diligence to ensure they are covered and they also will need a deep snapper for OTA's and an extra for training camp.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you fail to prepare, you are prepared to fail. Rams doing their due diligence to ensure they are covered and they also will need a deep snapper for OTA's and an extra for training camp.
Did they do this last year? I don't remember it, if so.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Did they do this last year? I don't remember it, if so.

Yes they brought in a deep snapper for OTA's.last season by the surname of East as I communicated after the signing it was so Goff knew where the sun rose.

The Los Angeles Rams officially signed LS Andrew East to a contract on Tuesday.

East, 25, originally signed on with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent out of Vanderbilt back in May of 2015. He lasted just a few months in Kansas City before he was among their final roster cuts.

The Seahawks later signed East to a future/reserve contract in January. However, Seattle cut him loose just a few months later before he eventually caught on with the Raiders.

Unfortunately, East was once again waived coming out of the preseason and this is his first opportunity since then.

East will have to compete for a roster spot with Jake McQuaide this summer.

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-sign-ls-andrew-east/

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes they brought in a deep snapper for OTA's.last season by the surname of East as I communicated after the signing it was so Goff knew where the sun rose.

The Los Angeles Rams officially signed LS Andrew East to a contract on Tuesday.

East, 25, originally signed on with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent out of Vanderbilt back in May of 2015. He lasted just a few months in Kansas City before he was among their final roster cuts.

The Seahawks later signed East to a future/reserve contract in January. However, Seattle cut him loose just a few months later before he eventually caught on with the Raiders.

Unfortunately, East was once again waived coming out of the preseason and this is his first opportunity since then.

East will have to compete for a roster spot with Jake McQuaide this summer.

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-sign-ls-andrew-east/
Not really my question. Of course with an expanded rosters,"camp" players will be brought in...But the East-West game is a coaching/recruiting opportunity for better players than the Home Depot Dreamers who get cut early....A lot of these guys get drafted, so I mean last year was there a Long Snapper interviewed/scouted at the East/West game? That's the situation this year, that I don't remember happening last year, do you?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's the situation this year, that I don't remember happening last year, do you?

I believe they are preparing in case someone offers McQuaide more then the Rams are willing to spend.