Quarterbacks on the move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JMHO But I think Brees would rather retire than play for any Team other than the Saints!
But he won't let himself be disrespected by a "Low-Ball" offer! So who knows what he will do!

Ram65

Legend
He turned 39 on Monday. But he’s showing no signs of wear and/or tear. He could play at least two more years at a high level, maybe longer.

His arm strength is NOT was it was. He missed a wide open WR down the sideline in the Rams game and threw short to another one in the middle of the field. He can still play though.

Jaguars: If they don’t make it to the Super Bowl (or if they make it and lose), the Jags could decide that the key ingredient to getting over the hump will be getting a new quarterback. A better quarterback. A first-ballot Hall of Fame quarterback. A Drew Brees.

Vikings: Yes, the Vikings. If faced with the prospect of tagging Case Keenum at $23 million for 2018, how much more would they pay for the guy who led the Saints back from 17-0 in the second half? It would be a ballsy, all-in move, identical to the one that the Vikings made nine years ago, when they signed Brett Favre and nearly got back to the Super Bowl. With a balanced team on both sides of the ball, Brees could be the difference.

He needs to go to one of these two teams. Both are Super Bowl contenders already that need an upgrade in QB. Brees doesn't have much time remaining. He could stay at the Saints too but, these are better all around teams. It will be interesting to see what happens. Cousins should be looking at theses teams too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He needs to go to one of these two teams. Both are Super Bowl contenders already that need an upgrade in QB. Brees doesn't have much time remaining. He could stay at the Saints too but, these are better all around teams. It will be interesting to see what happens. Cousins should be looking at theses teams too.

It's insane that Brees has a chance to hit the market. IF he does, the dude is going to have truckloads of money backed up for him by Denver alone, who are beyond desperate for a QB. But yes, I do think Minnesota is the hottest spot for any FA quarterback, because their receivers are excellent and their defense keeps games locked down.

IF I am Brees, I go to Minnesota. And if he somehow does hit FA, he will be able to pick his spot and rightly so. The Vikes with that dude at QB would rival the Patriots for the next few years or until Drew hangs them up.

Cousins is interesting too. He's going to go after fit and a winning team over cash IMO. Denver doesn't have nearly as good a situation as Minnesota (IMO they have a coaching change looming in the very near future). But there is talent there, and adding a QB like Kirk might turn the tide for them.

This is where Arizona's head coaching search takes an interesting turn, btw. They still have key offensive pieces to attract a FA QB. Who will they hire? Some hirings might immediately eliminate them from consideration for the top two QBs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brees has been pretty clear he wants to stay in Nawlins. They haven’t done much developing an heir apparent so I can’t see them risking losing him. That team is ready to compete for a SB too so if he was to leave, they would be a hot spot as well.
I could see it already, Brees leaves and the Saints trade for Eli Manning who takes them to their first SB, making daddy proud....

Ram65

Legend
It's insane that Brees has a chance to hit the market. IF he does, the dude is going to have truckloads of money backed up for him by Denver alone, who are beyond desperate for a QB. But yes, I do think Minnesota is the hottest spot for any FA quarterback, because their receivers are excellent and their defense keeps games locked down.

IF I am Brees, I go to Minnesota. And if he somehow does hit FA, he will be able to pick his spot and rightly so. The Vikes with that dude at QB would rival the Patriots for the next few years or until Drew hangs them up.

Cousins is interesting too. He's going to go after fit and a winning team over cash IMO. Denver doesn't have nearly as good a situation as Minnesota (IMO they have a coaching change looming in the very near future). But there is talent there, and adding a QB like Kirk might turn the tide for them.

This is where Arizona's head coaching search takes an interesting turn, btw. They still have key offensive pieces to attract a FA QB. Who will they hire? Some hirings might immediately eliminate them from consideration for the top two QBs.

I think Brees has been pretty clear he wants to stay in Nawlins. They haven’t done much developing an heir apparent so I can’t see them risking losing him. That team is ready to compete for a SB too so if he was to leave, they would be a hot spot as well.
I could see it already, Brees leaves and the Saints trade for Eli Manning who takes them to their first SB, making daddy proud....

Looks like the Saints have got their cap in a better place. Partial article below. I was thinking they still had cap problems and they had some problems with money and Brees before. I would think he stays but, if not the Vikings and Jags could be a good match. The Broncos imploded last year. I'm not sure where they are at. Elway screwed up by not getting a QB two years ago. If Brees stays Cousins is the next choice for all these teams.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...ary-cap-free-agency-drew-brees-malcolm-butler
..................The great crew at OverTheCap.com have so-far operated with a more conservative projection of $178-million. Per their tracking of player transactions and in-house calculations, they describe a nice situation for the 2018 Saints:

• Effective Cap Space: $33,480,417 (ranked 16th out of 32)
  • Dead Money: $6,965,970 (ranked 5th out of 32)
  • Players Under Contract: 49 (ranked 8th out of 32)
Tweak it a bit and that looks even better. A crucial piece of team-building is the number of players rostered for the following year. The fewer you have ahead of time, the more you’re relying on your draft picks and undrafted signees to fill holes on the team. You’ll also be overpaying guys just to hit the 90-man offseason roster limit.

That isn’t where the Saints are sitting. They’re in the top third of the league in players contracted thanks to hitting on almost all of their recent draft picks and free agent signings, as well as some nicely-valued contract extensions. The average team has 44 players contracted for next year, and the Saints are a little ahead at 49.

Sure, the status of quarterback Drew Brees is concerning. At this moment he is on the team for next year with a $6-million salary cap hit. But a trigger in his contract (as it is written) means he will be a free agent in March, accelerating his $6-million 2019 and 2020 cap hits into the 2018 fiscal year.

So that means the Saints would have 48 players under contract, not 49, and $21,480,417 in available cap space, not $33,480,417. That’s still good for the 6th-most cap space and tied for the 8th-most active contracts. Not great, but still good in context of the rest of the league. I anticipate the Saints will re-sign Brees and not find a way to not wreck their cap situation.

That Brees example just serves to illustrate how fluid this all is. The numbers will change dramatically between now and next March as the cap is raised and locked-in, and as the Saints trim the roster of cap casualties. The unfortunate Nick Fairley ($6-million freed up if released) and Coby Fleener ($4.8-million) each come to mind as possible early cuts, but hopefully they see upswings in health.

Anyway, the Saints have managed the salary cap very well in recent years. Look at the success of recent signings like defensive end Alex Okafor, linebacker Craig Robertson, right guard Larry Warford, and wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. Even smaller names like linebacker Manti Te’oand fullback Zach Line have made positive impacts. With so many rookies playing so well on the cheap, look to the Saints to again be active in next year’s free agency period.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks like the Saints have got their cap in a better place. Partial article below. I was thinking they still had cap problems and they had some problems with money and Brees before. I would think he stays but, if not the Vikings and Jags could be a good match. The Broncos imploded last year. I'm not sure where they are at. Elway screwed up by not getting a QB two years ago. If Brees stays Cousins is the next choice for all these teams.

Broncs still have talent. It's funny, before the season all the media types assumed they would win, in spite of not having Wade Phillips holding it down on defense OR the QB. Now they're considered a lower tier team, but they still have a lot of pieces.

IMO their head coach is in over his head but Elway's ego is involved in his decision making. It was a bad hire, but Elway will get it fixed, he's nothing if not relentless in his expectations. Don't be surprised when he makes a huge offer and sells one of these guys on his program. Looking at the staff, Musgrave is excellent. I assume they will be the destination for Cousins.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hmmm.....Not so sure, I believe they just might go in another direction. Something just isn't right there.
I get the same feeling.
The problem is, who is going to replace Cousins.
Maybe Washington goes after A. Smith and let's Cousins walk.
There is a big drop off in QB play after those 2 guys imo.

fearsomefour

Legend
His arm strength is NOT was it was. He missed a wide open WR down the sideline in the Rams game and threw short to another one in the middle of the field. He can still play though.

Could say Eli applies to those teams as well....with Caughkin working with the Jags that would seem the better fit.
Taking for granted the Giants are moving on.