QB's and the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
First off, I love this forum---seems to be lots of true Rams fans here without negative post after negative post!

So, lets talk QB's!

I'm curious if I'm in the minority or a part of the "silent majority" when it comes to this year's QB draft prospects:

(I'm the typical armchair QB, didn't play even college ball, so not claiming any expertise)

Carson Wentz: He's the only one I'd be excited about drafting, but I don't think he's going to make it to 15. Still kind of a wild card--great record of success in a lower division, but his team still went 8-0 (I think) when he was out during his senior year. One thing I noticed about his highlight clips is he often had a really clean pocket. If he slips to us I'd be pumped, but not counting on it.

Paxton Lynch: Exciting prospect with a lot of potential, but seems like he's going to need a few years to be ready. I know it was only one game, but looked awful against a higher level of competition vs. Auburn. With what we have going, I don't really want to spend our 1st round pick on a prospect that will probably need to sit for a year or 2.

Jared Goff: Huge stats attributed in some part from running a spread offense. Accurate and smart seem to be constants with him. He is, however, a really small framed guy, looks more like a tennis player than a QB. If you watch some game film, he is pretty "jittery" in the pocket--getting crushed a few times by a Terrell Suggs type player isn't going to help that. I know you don't have to be Cam Newton/Big Ben size to be successful, but I'd be real concerned spending a first round pick here.

That brings me to guys on the roster:

Case Keenum. I thought he played pretty well, we just won't ever win a bunch of extra games because of him.

Nick Foles. I really thought he was a good pickup. We just had to move on from Sam and was surprised the front office got this trade done. We didn't need the 27 td 3 int guy (or whatever it was), just a 12-15 ranked starter. Obviously didn't happen and I'm sure he's going to need a stellar camp for his team mates to have any confidence in him. Might be a lost cause.

Sean Mannion. This is where I'm curious what you guys think. I'm a big Mike Riley fan (his college coach) and they had success running a pro-style play action offense at an often overmatched Oregon state. Won quite a few big games as underdogs. If he was coming out this year I think Rams fans would be screaming for us to draft him. I saw some tape of him working out at the Huskers facilities with his former college coaches, and he looked great.

In my opinion, if Mannion impresses us this off season, having him + a good player we pick at 15 is much better for the team than spending our top pick on one of this years questionable QB's.

So, am I a dummy? What do you guys think?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You are not a dummy. There are so many variables in this situation. Part of me wants a small trade up to land a future stud, but at the same time I wonder what Mannion is like. Snead keeps saying he has some real arm talent. I haven't seen any of the top three impress me with throws. I guess Wentz has some nice sideline throws now and then but he and Lynch are not consistently accurate. Goff is accurate but there isn't a lot of zip on his throws. You can see he really puts his body into the longer throws. Hackenberg makes the prettiest throws in the draft IMO, but then he makes just as many clunkers, especially short. After watching his arm all season it is tougher to get excited about the top guys, but his pocket presence is terrible. Jrry said that is the trouble with Mannion too. He has poor pocket presence and no mobility. I guess he thrived on getting the ball out fast to avoid having to run. That is fine if that is the game plan. The Patriots do that with Brady. They have a lot of underneath stuff and sideline stuff that limits him getting hit or rushed. Brady is not a great athlete so it makes sense.

Ideally Mannion is the next top ten Qb in the league and the Rams can go about their business drafting bpa in round 1 and then filling needs after that. But if Snead and Fisher really are looking closely at QBs at the combine, it probably means that they don't think Mannion has what it takes, unfortunately.