QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The difference there was that Favre was 36 years old and by getting Rodgers at the end of the round they could afford to sit him.
Sam will still only be 27 years old when the season begins.
So I dont understand how this all works out that Bradford returns and they draft a guy with a 1st rounder
What do you do if Bradford is "all that" next year?
Why does Bradford re-sign with a contract on the cheap and watch the Rams draft his replacement?
Doesnt add up IMO
I think it would be more of a Brees/Rivers situation.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it would be more of a Brees/Rivers situation.
Which I also think isnt a fair comparison.
San Diego gave up on a 2nd round QB and essentially drafted their QB with first overall pick. There was no question it would be Rivers team.
Here, the roles are reversed, the Rams have the overall number 1 pick at QB already, and wouldnt be certain that the guy they drafted would be "the guy"
When Brees left, he at least gave them a couple of good seasons. In ST Lou, as long as Bradford plays well, the "heir apparent" wont see the field

FRO

Legend
Which I also think isnt a fair comparison.
San Diego gave up on a 2nd round QB and essentially drafted their QB with first overall pick. There was no question it would be Rivers team.
Here, the roles are reversed, the Rams have the overall number 1 pick at QB already, and wouldnt be certain that the guy they drafted would be "the guy"
When Brees left, he at least gave them a couple of good seasons. In ST Lou, as long as Bradford plays well, the "heir apparent" wont see the field
And that's fine. If Bradford plays 2 full seasons at a level his is capable, then flip the QB you drafted.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The difference there was that Favre was 36 years old and by getting Rodgers at the end of the round they could afford to sit him.
So I dont understand how this all works out that Bradford returns and they draft a guy with a 1st rounder
Why does Bradford re-sign with a contract on the cheap and watch the Rams draft his replacement?
Doesnt add up IMO
If Bradford ends up coming back healthy and blows the doors off, then you have a win/win situation.
I don't imagine they'll sign a one year extension. If there's a redo of the contract, it's a two year 16-20 million dollar type deal with contract escalators in place.
Then if he plays well, you have the luxury of either keeping him one more year and giving rookie QB du jour the chance to sit and learn another year, or you see what Bradford fetches in the trade market.
Bradford doesn't have to redo his contract and that's true. But if the Rams force the issue, I'd imagine he'll take the bait. I don't envision a feeding frenzy for an injury prone QB that hasn't proven himself to the NFL at large yet.
There are plenty of young first round reclamation projects available that teams could have for cheap before they'd be inclined to sign a health risk like Bradford. That's just speculation on my part, but if I were a GM, I'd have to strongly consider a guy like Gabbert or Ponder before Bradford who hasn't finished a season since 2012.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Doesnt add up IMO

You trade that QB after we figure out if Bradford can stay healthy or not. I love Bradford and hope to God he is back to 100% next year and can stay healthy but we can not put all our eggs in that basket again. We gotta keep hill or bring in another QB to back up bradford and draft one in the first 3 rounds IMO. This team is ready to win now we better make damn sure we've got several guys in the wings that can sling the ball in case bradford does get hurt again.

Ramathon

Doesnt add up IMO

Comprende. And tend to agree with a lot of what you say. But I also think there's enough risk with Bradford that they can't afford to just go with only a 'Plan B' like Hill. It needs to be something closer to a 'Plan 1A'.

And I'm not suggesting they have to go after a QB in the 1st round. All the talk on draft eligible QB's suggests to me they'd have to mortgage the farm to get one of the 2 likely 1st round suspects. I just don't think they can wait until Rd 6 and take a complete flier on a Gilbert type. I'm no talent evaluator, so don't have a clue at this point if there's a decent possibility in Rds 2-3, but that would be where I would hope they might target someone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If we take into count what Fisher has said & what Snead & Fisher have said & done in the past then Bradford who will be 28 yrs old next season will be the Rams main QB going into next season.

Now we go from there where SB has shown that out of 5 NFL seasons he has been healthy for only two must be taken into account. So now the Rams must find a large healthy stable of QB's to work behind SB. QB Hill is a UFA & QB Davis is a RFA. I see no reason not to resign both QB's once again. I would look for Fisher & Shotty to bring in an experience younger UFA QB who has many starts & who they know i.e. Mark Sanchez or Jake Locker along with younger QB's like Case Keenum & Garrett Gilbert.

Yes it will be a very large cadre of QB's to deal with but very necessary. I would expect Fisher to carry three QB's on the master 53 player roster one of course being Sam & another on the younger ones on the Practice Squad. May be over the top but with Sam you have very little options here. Then go into the draft with one main objective in mind to protect the starting QB......to rebuild a 2015 Ram depleted offensive line. The Rams have FIVE current Ram Ol'ers who will enter free agency (2 starters of the 5 plus the current 6th & 7th Ram reserve OL'ers). It is also highly expected that Rams will release two other OL starters with Long & Wells. No telling what kind of OL will be here in 2015 to protect whomever the Rams have @ QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back to my original point, drafting a QB is not commiting to Bradford.
Doesnt add up.
So the Rams cut Bradford, and resign him to a 2 year deal with low guarantee money and escalators built on performance. Sounds great right?
But they draft a QB with their #1 pick?
For Bradford to earn the escalators, he's got to play. For the Rams to know what they have in their #1 pick, he's got to play.
Only 1 ball.
Like I said, it doesnt add up

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Doesnt add up.
So the Rams cut Bradford, and resign him to a 2 year deal with low guarantee money and escalators built on performance. Sounds great right?
For Bradford to earn the escalators, he's got to play. For the Rams to know what they have in their #1 pick, he's got to play.
Only 1 ball.
You can let rookies sit and learn though. There was a time when this was a perfectly acceptable practice. Just because the mentality in the NFL has shifted to instant gratification, doesn't mean that the Rams need to follow suit.
The Browns have found themselves in playoff contention letting Manziel sit for most of the year.
Why is it unreasonable to let a 1st round draft pick sit for a year (maybe two) and learn the ropes?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can let rookies sit and learn though. There was a time when this was a perfectly acceptable practice. Just because the mentality in the NFL has shifted to instant gratification, doesn't mean that the Rams need to follow suit.
The Browns have found themselves in playoff contention letting Manziel sit for most of the year.
Why is it unreasonable to let a 1st round draft pick sit for a year (maybe two) and learn the ropes?
Well, for one, the salary cap is more the reason rookies play more often, and they are clearly more prepared for the NFL game. There was also a time that rookie QB couldnt start playoff games, and that has been put to rest.
And I'd tap the brakes on the Johnny Manziel topic as its likely he'll be the starter this week, should have been already.
Brian Hoyer is no Sam Bradford, replacing Hoyer is merely a stepping stone. If the Rams are going to commit to Bradford, then drafting a QB is not commiting to him. "Grooming" his replacement is also not commiting to him.
Again, I just dont see this all adding up.
I think if they are bringing back Bradford, then Hill would be back as well. And should if the Rams are able to finish this year off. If they finish 4-1, that would put Hill at 6-3 as a starter. Not bad for a #2

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I have no worries because I have complete confidence in Brian Shottenheimer and QB Coach Frank Cignetti...I mean after winning 52-0, who wouldn't?:whistle:
Me. 52 points somehow makes Shott a OC guru. Give me a break. Shott was calling the same lame plays but the Raiders execution was pathetic and the Rams players are getting better each game. Plus many turnovers deep in Raider territory and monster defense giving the ball to the Rams many times. To give Shott all the credit is foolish. The sooner he goes bye bye the sooner the real potential of this offense will be realized.

Garygd

UDFA
Name
Garygd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome Garygd, I think we sink or swim with Bradford next year.But having a rookie ready to at least learn and someday lead this team should be a priority.
Thanks from a passionate Welsh rugby fan love sports like what I'm seeing with the Rams my team to follow any help on your nfl will be appreciated hope the stay in St louis

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Me. 52 points somehow makes Shott a OC guru. Give me a break. Shott was calling the same lame plays but the Raiders execution was pathetic and the Rams players are getting better each game. Plus many turnovers deep in Raider territory and monster defense giving the ball to the Rams many times. To give Shott all the credit is foolish. The sooner he goes bye bye the sooner the real potential of this offense will be realized.

It was tongue and cheek, if you will.;)

Garygd

UDFA
Name
Garygd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no worries because I have complete confidence in Brian Shottenheimer and QB Coach Frank Cignetti...I mean after winning 52-0, who wouldn't?:whistle:
But against raiders with their record it's like watching the Welsh rugby team playing Georgia or the cook islands no disrespect

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Thanks from a passionate Welsh rugby fan love sports like what I'm seeing with the Rams my team to follow any help on your nfl will be appreciated hope the stay in St louis
You came to the right place this place is loaded with respectful well informed fans.Once again welcome aboard I look forward to you're insights and participation.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But against raiders with their record it's like watching the Welsh rugby team playing Georgia or the cook islands no disrespect

My post was tongue and cheek and I did not know the State of Georgia had a rugby team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Bradford is the best chance to win and make the playoffs next year. Bring Hill back to be the backup and I guess take a flyer on a qb in the mid rounds. The bad part for the guys saying draft a qb early is that the rams will be drafting in the mid to late teens and this qb class is aweful. Cook says he is staying in school, I still think winston will stay another year, and hundley isnt mentally ready for the nfl. There is no savior qb in this class just a bunch of guys and if the rams draft one in the first it will just be a wasted pick.

Yep. I see the same thing over and over.
Draft a QB high.
Draft a QB high.

The Rams need doesn't mean a good QB will be available at their selections or will even pan out any better than Bradford.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Doesnt add up.
Only 1 ball.

Flip it.
Cut Bradford and 15 minutes later he's a Texan or a Titan.
The QB they want to draft is suddenly picked ahead of them. There's no QB on the board that can come in and start for them.
Hill's agent is watching all this and says you want him back franchise him.

Then what you got? Dredges of FA's or Davis.

There's no commitment to any player in the NFL. No matter how successful any player is, if a team can find a better player guess who plays.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Flip it.
The QB they want to draft is suddenly picked ahead of them. There's no QB on the board that can come in and start for them.

There's no commitment to any player in the NFL. No matter how successful any player is, if a team can find a better player guess who plays.

Hill would have a pretty bad agent if he thought that his client could be franchised post draft. And chances are the Rams wouldn't cut Bradford prior to having Hill or another vet alternative under contract.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Flip it.

I don't think you actually cut Sam... extend him for 2 years, renegotiate his cap and salary in 2015, and have him on what is essentially a 3-year deal with low guarantees and high potential earnings based on playing time and success.