QB thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
1. Cousins is aproaching the group of the next elite set of qbs. Dude looks legit and I saw elite talent in him off and on last yr. He will put it all together now. If there was ever a time to try and steal a tagged player, this is it. Should be interesting BC I bet a lot of teams in need of a QB are going to try. I hope we do. Those who keep saying he could be a one hit wonder must not have watched him play last yr.

2. Hundley looked phenomenal as a rookie, i dont know wtf ppl saw here who keep saying otherwise. The packers offense had about as many playmakers as ours last yr too - they werent helpong their qbs.The packers are going to get good compensation for him and may not want to unload him with Rodgers injury history. I would try to trade for him. I watched him play, and the dude was drafted way to low last yr.

3. Manion was the third QB taken last yr. He ran a pro O in college, has great size, and now has a yr of development. We may not need a QB at all. I'm not impressed with the rookie qbs this yr and think manion would match or outplay them all this season. So why draft one. Hope we don't. But if we do...

4. Conner Cook is a winner. I watched his entire college career. The offense Mich State runs, along with their defensive minded coach - ex Ohio State defensive coord who is about as conservative as Fisher - held him back. He could be a good QB in the NFL. I would rather draft him later than draft a QB in 1st rd. But Goff in LA seems like a match from a book, so that will prob happen. Will bring more fans in as well, keeping Goff in his home state.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm hoping Mannion comes in and lights up our defense and goes on to beat out Keenum and leads us to double digit wins in the start of a great new decade of football in LA.

Might not happen but whose to say? He's already on the roster so why not?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish Mannion was the guy, so the Rams wouldn't bother with a QB but if they really are looking at QBs, or trading up for one, then that tells me that they don't think Mannions is the guy.

I am still on the fence with whether or not they should trade up. It seems that they will have to in order to grab one of the top three. With possibly 5 teams ahead of them looking at QBs they may have to just to get to Cook, which sucks. Cook looks like he can get the job done but usually where there is smoke there is fire, and his character concerns are worrisome, especially that one Mayock pointed out in the Alabama game.

It would suck to have to move up far to get Lynch. He looks like he is a good two year investment and not a sure thing by any means. If they trade up it would have to be for Goff or Wentz which means to 1 or 3 IMO. That is going to take a lot of capitol. To think, we could be sitting pretty with Bortles right now and no worries about moving up or wasting picks. That sucks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams have to find out what they have in Mannion this year. there will be QB's in next years draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams have to find out what they have in Mannion this year. there will be QB's in next years draft.

Here's the problem with that strategy;

Mannion hasn't taken an NFL snap. What if he falters? We're back to playing a backup type starter.

Then... Next year if we draft one... We have to be in range to get him... AND the rookie QB spends 2017 getting NFL acclimated.

Next thing you know; its 2018.

We need to stack the odds in our favour, now. We need QB in this draft.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's the problem with that strategy;

Mannion hasn't taken an NFL snap. What if he falters? We're back to playing a backup type starter.

Then... Next year if we draft one... We have to be in range to get him... AND the rookie QB spends 2017 getting NFL acclimated.

Next thing you know; its 2018.

We need to stack the odds in our favour, now. We need QB in this draft.

Minor nit - Mannion did play in one game, and was 6-7 in passing for a whopping 31 yards. But yes, he's very raw. Obviously the Ram staff has a far better idea about him than any of us have.

Of course, while we are all exerting a massive amount of energy and time speculating on QBs, we aren't certain if the Rams are overly concerned. They didn't ignore QBs at the combine, but we don't know if they consider it a major priority, or they just want to be prepared if somebody falls to them. We'll get a better idea as they start going to Pro Days.

Heck, since Snisher plays things so close to their vests at times, it's possible they already have a trade lined up for the first day of the league year for a QB - and cutting Long, Cook, and JL was just to cover the salary of the star they are trading for. I doubt it, but it wouldn't be the first time that the Rams pulled a surprise like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd be very surprised if Cousins doesn't cost 2x round 1 picks to steal from Washington. Plus they'd probably match any contract within reason so you'd have to pay him stupid money to get him on top of the picks.

I think Hundley is a guy the Rams will consider, just like McCarron. Both come down to cost, if the teams drive too hard a cost the Rams will just draft the position. Might be another surprise option in there too like Garoppolo, depending on which guy they liked most coming out of college.

Sure would be nice if Mannion won the job, but his presence on the roster is not enough reason to forgo drafting a QB. He's a question mark, and these guys can't afford to gamble on him. If I'm the owner and I don't see some serious effort on the QB position to upgrade it, I'd fire both Fish and Snead.

Cook did some good things that the Rams will really, really like. His protection of the ball for starters, over many games vs good competition. Solid down the field too. But a lot of his wins are due to that great defense they had, and I don't like him as much as some other QBs in this draft personally. Do the Rams? Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm interested in seeing what happens with Keenum and Foles. Fisher said Keenum is the starter right now. They believe in him and he played well enough down the stretch to get another contract. They also said Foles would be back but I would love to see him gone and not cluttering things up. I hate the idea of blowing up this year and possibly next years draft for any QB in THIS draft. I just don't see a guy that stands out as THE guy you absolutely know will be a stud in the league for 10-12 years.

Will Lynch fall to 15? 10? Would they throw him in the fire this year??? My crystal ball hasn't worked in a decade. But I was not impressed with his bowl game performance in 2015 and I think he needs to sit a year so he doesn't get battered QB Syndrome.

Cook, Kessler, Prescott, Brissett??? Any of those guys going to beat out Mannion? Maybe in a couple of years. Are they going to stop us from drafting a blue chip talent in the first round who can play in 2016? No

What's the plan? The Snisher knows........

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Yeah, it ain't pretty man. This is why moving up in the draft is the answer! :yess:

And I bet dollars to donuts, as we get closer to the draft we will need to draft INTO top 5 pick to land top 3 QB, AND depending on whom they covet top 3 pick (1 or 3 a given). Does Bosa bad combine numbers help or hurt us? Food for thought boys!

I wish Mannion was the guy, so the Rams wouldn't bother with a QB but if they really are looking at QBs, or trading up for one, then that tells me that they don't think Mannions is the guy.

I am still on the fence with whether or not they should trade up. It seems that they will have to in order to grab one of the top three. With possibly 5 teams ahead of them looking at QBs they may have to just to get to Cook, which sucks. Cook looks like he can get the job done but usually where there is smoke there is fire, and his character concerns are worrisome, especially that one Mayock pointed out in the Alabama game.

It would suck to have to move up far to get Lynch. He looks like he is a good two year investment and not a sure thing by any means. If they trade up it would have to be for Goff or Wentz which means to 1 or 3 IMO. That is going to take a lot of capitol. To think, we could be sitting pretty with Bortles right now and no worries about moving up or wasting picks. That sucks.

I would much prefer Wentz or lynch, then I'm crossing my fingers with either Goff or Cook if thats whom we end up with as we do our best GM prediction

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Furthermore we need to consider walking away from jenkins and get some help on O for new QB... Gaines and Roberson were fine, plus deep cb draft Fisher & Snead can find value that fits our team on day 3 of the draft (like they always do!)