QB Slide Rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Okay, so I am watching the Broncos-Falcons on MNF, and Ryan takes off running, slides and gets hit by a Broncos defender.... and BOOM a 15 yard penalty for hitting him. Looking at the replay, it looked to me that the Falcons RB blocks the first Broncos defender into Ryan and the second Broncos defender took the hit more so than Ryan, even though both Broncos players landed on top of him.

In the game yesterday, Sam takes off running, slides and gets hit and no penalty. I know the guys on Fox talked about it and Howie said things like this need to be called both ways. Is it me, or does the NFL look at Ryan as another one of their "QB Darlings" and Sam is just another QB? :fk:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
MontanaRamFan said:
Okay, so I am watching the Broncos-Falcons on MNF, and Ryan takes off running, slides and gets hit by a Broncos defender.... and BOOM a 15 yard penalty for hitting him. Looking at the replay, it looked to me that the Falcons RB blocks the first Broncos defender into Ryan and the second Broncos defender took the hit more so than Ryan, even though both Broncos players landed on top of him.

In the game yesterday, Sam takes off running, slides and gets hit and no penalty. I know the guys on Fox talked about it and Howie said things like this need to be called both ways. Is it me, or does the NFL look at Ryan as another one of their "QB Darlings" and Sam is just another QB? :fk:
I think these replacement refs have enough trouble getting their calls right. I doubt there's any agenda right now. However, you can bet someone reiterated the "protect the QB" line before tonight's game. That's probably why they overcompensated.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Similar thing happened to Alex Smith last night and he took a forearm shot to the face and started bleeding. I cant imagine how hard a play like that is for the defender. You're not sure what the QB is gonna do, im sure every coach would want the QB to slide but that doesnt always happen.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It just feels to me like sometimes the officials are more inclined to penalize hits on the more prominent, established QBs than the ones who are looked upon as average. I can remember several times where the real officials treated Brady as if he were made of glass but allowed some cheap hits on less talented/replacement QBs such as Colt McCoy or Donovan McNabb. Maybe it's just my bias mind taking over but it really seems that way.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramrasta said:
It just feels to me like sometimes the officials are more inclined to penalize hits on the more prominent, established QBs than the ones who are looked upon as average. I can remember several times where the real officials treated Brady as if he were made of glass but allowed some cheap hits on less talented/replacement QBs such as Colt McCoy or Donovan McNabb. Maybe it's just my bias mind taking over but it really seems that way.

And that was kinda my point, I just didn't state it as clearly. :nice: