QB Shane Carden, E Caolina, and Florida on at noon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree. My issue is that a lot of the attributes that people associate with "upside" aren't what makes a successful QB.

Brady is a good example of what I mean. I don't think he'd be what most people consider a high upside pick. Tall, scrawny kid who had an average arm and not much in the way of mobility. But he got to the NFL and improved his arm strength by bulking up and improving his lower body mechanics and core rotation. But most of all, he's incredibly instinctual, accurate, mechanically sound, and smart.(as well as poised)

But I don't think he's really the example of a high upside kid. You know what I mean?

Take Joe Montana. Scrawny kid with average height, underwhelming arm strength, good mobility, and cruddy college production. That's not what I'd think of as a high upside player either and he's considered by many to be the GOAT QB.

Kurt Warner? Average height with a solid build, nothing special arm, and not much in the way of mobility.

Tony Romo? Same sort of size as Warner, same sort of arm, but decent(nothing special) mobility.

Marc Bulger? Solid height and build, solid arm, and not much in the way of mobility.

I guess the point I'm making is that a lot of people associate upside with size, arm strength, and mobility. But when you look at the guys who were overlooked in the process, they are typically guys who didn't stand out in those categories. They became great because they had the instincts, accuracy, mechanics, and mental acuity to be special.

But if you are defining upside in your own way...that could explain the disconnect here.

That's how I felt about Bridgewater. But why did he fall? IMO...lack of "upside". Didn't have the ideal size or arm strength of a highly drafted QB and did poorly in the most meaningless part of the evaluations(post-season workouts).

I would too but that type of kid is rare...which is one of the reasons why I like him. Typically, with his tools, you're either going to have him going top 20 or falling to day 3. If he's going top 20, it's because he's showed enough skills, instincts, and improvement that teams believe he can be their guy. If he's going Day 3, it's because he hasn't shown the skills, instincts, and improvement and a team is just taking a flier on him in hopes he figures it out.

Cardale Jones is different because there's not enough experience there for you to know he has those things which would have him get drafted highly...but not enough experience for you to know that he doesn't have those things...which would get him drafted lowly. That's what I like. He's a mystery but in a good way.

That's true. Just gotta go with what you can see.

Totally. I agree. It's just that most guys like Jones wouldn't work for me. Because if they're not going highly, they've typically proven they aren't good...like Logan Thomas.

Which is why I'd prefer, IN MOST CASES, to take a shot on a guy who might be lacking in an attribute or two if they show they have other qualities that are potentially special...like pocket presence, mental processing speed, ball placement, etc.

If his character checks out well enough, I think Winston is "can't miss". Beyond that, I agree. I thought Bradford, Luck, and Bridgewater were "can't miss" guys. I wasn't evaluating when Rodgers came out so I can't speak with authority on him. :)

Carden should be a Day 3 pick. Just has some attributes I like.
Don't have a problem with anything other than, Brady, I didn't mean to say he had a high upside, but he did have some good pieces, my point on him, and I didn't see him coming, BTW, is that he had heart, and some attributes that really helped him to achieve what he has, and a great system to be plugged into, and a lot of hard work. I would not have picked him, high, but looking back, he has a lot of the things that I like, and would consider taking, because of those things. I do agree with your take on him.

Cardale, because of all the circumstances,,,the game's not too big, and how he went through progressions, his arm, his athletic ability, his "out of the park" size, he's intriguing, and I'd rather take a chance on him, than someone that might just be a backup at best. Cardale, could be, could be, the best thing since buttered popcorn, but nobody know about him, really. I sure love what I've seen, I'll tell you that. I'll tell you how much, mid 2nd to mid 3rd round like, if, like I said, has passion, and the mental acumen for football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't have a problem with anything other than, Brady, I didn't mean to say he had a high upside, but he did have some good pieces, my point on him, and I didn't see him coming, BTW, is that he had heart, and some attributes that really helped him to achieve what he has, and a great system to be plugged into, and a lot of hard work. I would not have picked him, high, but looking back, he has a lot of the things that I like, and would consider taking, because of those things. I do agree with your take on him.

Cardale, because of all the circumstances,,,the game's not too big, and how he went through progressions, his arm, his athletic ability, his "out of the park" size, he's intriguing, and I'd rather take a chance on him, than someone that might just be a backup at best. Cardale, could be, could be, the best thing since buttered popcorn, but nobody know about him, really. I sure love what I've seen, I'll tell you that. I'll tell you how much, mid 2nd to mid 3rd round like, if, like I said, has passion, and the mental acumen for football.

I agree.

I like Jones and I'm hoping he'll recognize that it in his best interest to declare. Guy has the same type of physical tools that Newton and Culpepper have/had. If he's got enough skills, instincts, and mental acuity...he can be a NFL starter. And if he's actually good in those aspects...he could be a great NFL starter. Too early to tell either way...which might allow him to fall further than he should...or have him be overdrafted. We shall see. Hindsight will tell the story but I like that because as I said, he's a total mystery.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Keep in mind he's been a total work in progress at Ohio State, he came in at 280 pounds, but they've gotten him in condition. The reason they went with Barrett was because Barrett was more like Miller, but Jones was very close to winning the job after Miller went down.

Urban Meyer has stated that the arm of Jones might be too good to put him back on the pine. Would be shocked if the kid did go to the NFL because if they beat Oregon I'm willing to bet he comes back as the starter for the Buckeyes because Barrett is a RS freshman and Jones could realize with one full season he would be much better than a 3rd round selection.

duckhunter

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good discussion.

A little take on Carden. He didn't really help himself with the pick 6. However, he moved the team up and down the field. It was a team loss. Missed FGs and fumble on the one. His running and sacks actually hurt him but that is not his game. Made some good throws. Generally, wasn't throwing to the wrong guy or double coverage or missing coverage. Lots of jump balls and come backs. Confident kid and stayed competitive. Needed to put the team on his shoulders and did on the first drive in the 2nd half. Fl answered and then it was always not enough and too late.

Florida's OLine did not play well and none of em helped themselves.

If we needed a WR mid/late, Hardy is a gamer.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Keep in mind he's been a total work in progress at Ohio State, he came in at 280 pounds, but they've gotten him in condition. The reason they went with Barrett was because Barrett was more like Miller, but Jones was very close to winning the job after Miller went down.

Urban Meyer has stated that the arm of Jones might be too good to put him back on the pine. Would be shocked if the kid did go to the NFL because if they beat Oregon I'm willing to bet he comes back as the starter for the Buckeyes because Barrett is a RS freshman and Jones could realize with one full season he would be much better than a 3rd round selection.
Oh, I could easily see that. It's really a "what if" scenario, more than anything else. I know that he almost earned the job in the first place, and what me and jrry were originally talking about, is "if" he might still be 2nd or 3rd string, and the player in front of him is younger, and it's weak QB draft, etc. Kind of a fantasy scenario, in a weak QB class. Fun to talk about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Unless he ended up back on the bench. That's why I think it would be smart for him to declare.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unless he ended up back on the bench. That's why I think it would be smart for him to declare.

I concur with you and @DR RAM, however, if the Buckeyes win I could see Meyer convincing the younger Barrett to take a back seat, but if not than Jones would be smart to declare and IMO would be very high on everyone's list based on upside alone.

Also agree with you that he's similar to Culpepper and he came from a High School in Cleveland coached by the renowned Ted Ginn, Sr., so IMO, he offers something from the neck up as well.