QB Rating Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm curious.

Honestly using pre-draft viewpoints, if you had to rate Goff, Lynch, and Cook vs. every QB selected since 2010, how high would they be on your list? Maybe it's just me, but I can't even fit them in the top five off the top of my head (Luck, Bradford, Newton, Winston, Mariota).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And here I thought you were going to ask where we would rate Foles - bad or very bad?

I have thought the same as what you are saying though. I view this class of QBs on par with 2013.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And here I thought you were going to ask where we would rate Foles - bad or very bad?

I have thought the same as what you are saying though. I view this class of QBs on par with 2013.

No way. It's much more like 2014 than it is 2013. 2013 was dreadful.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm curious.

Honestly using pre-draft viewpoints, if you had to rate Goff, Lynch, and Cook vs. every QB selected since 2010, how high would they be on your list? Maybe it's just me, but I can't even fit them in the top five off the top of my head (Luck, Bradford, Newton, Winston, Mariota).

Off the top of my head:
1. Sam Bradford
2. Andrew Luck
3. RGIII
4. Winston
5. Mariota
6. Bridgewater
7. Goff
8. Newton
9. Lynch
10. Bortles

FRO

Legend
Off the top of my head:
1. Sam Bradford
2. Andrew Luck
3. RGIII
4. Winston
5. Mariota
6. Bridgewater
7. Goff
8. Newton
9. Lynch
10. Bortles
Don't remember all mine. I too was super high on Bradford. We ruined him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off the top of my head:
1. Sam Bradford
2. Andrew Luck
3. RGIII
4. Winston
5. Mariota
6. Bridgewater
7. Goff
8. Newton
9. Lynch
10. Bortles

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might have Mariota and Bridgewater flipped. It's really tough because I don't do numeric grades. I definitely had a much bigger man-crush on Bridgewater but I was also willing to trade a lot to move up to #2 in mocks to get Mariota. I'd say I had those two about even. Considered Bridgewater more of a sure thing but Mariota was more physically talented.

Stel

Starter
I think you have RGIII too high. I liked Winston and Mariota better as pro prospects. Probably liked Luck a little more than Bradford as a prospect, too. Of the ten, Luck was the only one I thought was the sure thing, can't miss prospect.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Luck
Mariota
Bradford (was way wrong)
Lynch
Goff
Bridgewater
Bortles
Newton (character needed to be checked out)
RG3 (after Combine, way wrong)

Rest were undraftable in the first or undraftable period (Manziel, Winston).

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. Luck
2. Bradford
3. Newton
4. Winston
5. Mariota
6. RG III
7. Jake Locker :oops:
8. Blake Bortles
9. Teddy Bridgewater
10. Jimmy Garoppolo

Wow. I'm back here in Memphis and I'm struggling to put Lynch in my top ten while many are raving about him. Goff too. And I'm having doubts that Cook could even make a top 15-20 list.

That said, I do know that, today, I'd probably rate Goff ahead of Lynch. And I believe that both would have the potential to be rated higher if they went back to school.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It depends on if you are rating them as/is or on potential. I think Lynch has a high ceiling if he goes to the right team to develop him. I actually think he has a chance to be the best of the bunch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After Bradford went down in college, I was nervous about him...Man did I want Suh....

Anyways

Luck
Cam
Winston
RGIII (figured he'd add some weight by now)
Marriota
Bortles
Carr
Goff
Bridgewater (figured he be broken like RGIII by now)
maybe squeeze Lynch in here
and
Tannehill....I like guys that can run
Can I add Hundley in here too?
Bradford....accurate in college but just too flimsy

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you have RGIII too high. I liked Winston and Mariota better as pro prospects. Probably liked Luck a little more than Bradford as a prospect, too. Of the ten, Luck was the only one I thought was the sure thing, can't miss prospect.

I'm telling you where I rated them when they were prospects. If I had the benefit of hindsight, he'd be off the list. ;)

Stel

Starter
I'm telling you where I rated them when they were prospects. If I had the benefit of hindsight, he'd be off the list. ;)

I know. I meant too high at the time. Never thought he was worth the #2 pick. It is why I thought the Rams abused Washington in that trade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know. I meant too high at the time. Never thought he was worth the #2 pick. It is why I thought the Rams abused Washington in that trade.

Well, that's where I had him. Didn't know he was such a prick with terrible work habits. Got caught up in the media's portrayal of him. :LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say what I thought then vs now. Wasnt high on Bradford, thought it was a need pick. Thought Cam Newton would bust.
Couldnt put a read on Mariota and his success clouds my recollection.
Loved Bridgewater and might have had him #2. Wasnt a fan of Luck but still think he was #1 prospect.
Of course I did think that Jimmy Clausen was going to be a stud....

Out of the 3, and I had to pick 1 in the 1st round it would be Goff. I think Cook is mediocre at best and dont see the hype on him. Basically comparable stats to Cousins who went in the 4th, and I liked Cousins more as a prospect.
Lynch to me is Dak Prescott with a little more height. Dan McGwire with wheels....

I like @jrry32 boy Carson Wentz more than Cook or Lynch. Still think Brandon Doughty deserves a look but as bad as we are it doesnt appear to be room for a "project qb"

Stel

Starter
At this point in the process, if we go QB, I'm thinking Goff in the first or Wentz in the second.

I like a couple of prospects later than the second, but realistically, if we don't take a QB in the first 50, there really isn't much point to taking one at all.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At this point in the process, if we go QB, I'm thinking Goff in the first or Wentz in the second.

I like a couple of prospects later than the second, but realistically, if we don't take a QB in the first 50, there really isn't much point to taking one at all.

To date, there isn't a potential QB in this draft class, that I'd even consider using a top 10 selection to obtain. Wentz in round two and put into the right offense clearly sounds like the best option to me.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
To date, there isn't a potential QB in this draft class, that I'd even consider using a top 10 selection to obtain. Wentz in round two and put into the right offense clearly sounds like the best option to me.

I tend to agree with this assessment and would go so far as to say we should Roll with Mannion if these are our options.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No way. It's much more like 2014 than it is 2013. 2013 was dreadful.
You rate 2014 higher than I, so from my perspective, I don't necessarily disagree with your comparison.

You are big on Teddy and I think he is average at best. He throws almost as many INTs as he does TDs and isn't asked to really do that much to win games. I also think he is frail. It just doesn't seem to take much to hurt him (and I'm not just talking about the Joyner hit).

Carr is probably the best out of that class and he can really stink up the joint at times. We'll see if he really improves his game and becomes a franchise quality QB.

Bortles has been pretty hit and miss but plays on a pretty atrocious team. He has definitely upped his game this year in spite of what he has around him.

So comparing this class to the '14 class of QBs doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies. I would say that Bortles was better than any of the potential '16 class. That doesn't say to me that if we trade picks to move up (if necessary) that it is going to land us our QB of the future. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pull the trigger on a QB with our first pick.