QB Options?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious on what other Rams fans think the Rams will do concerning their QB position (Trade, FA, Status Quo, etc). While I do think this is Shaun Hill's team for this year (and, maybe even for another year or two?) I am guessing the Rams may not feel too comfortable with just Austin Davis and Garrett Gilbert as his only backups. If the Rams do consider bringing in another QB to compete with either Hill or Davis who do you think they might be targeting? I am guessing that Terrelle Pryor and Rex Grossman might be on their short list of prospects. Between those two (and, anyone else) who do you like? Personally, I would lean more toward Grossman since I think he is the better,more experienced QB/Passer who would be more of a short term answer for the Rams in case Hill gets hurt (and, he might even win the job outright over time) while Pryor is definitely the younger/better athlete who could give the Rams Offense that added running threat but I would be a little concerned that the Rams passing game would take a few steps backwards (and, I think that would be real shame with all the potential the Rams Offense has with the addition of Kenny Britt and improvement I think Brian Quick has been showing!). But, with the Rams TIGHT salary cap situation their options may be very limited!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Honestly, I would like to see Pryor as backup. If Hill gets hurt, it would be exciting to see our offense work with a mobile QB. We haven't had one of those in........hmmm......I can't remember.

fearsomefour

Legend
No real options out there so far via trade or cuts.
Probably have to be through the draft. I'm not terribly optimistic of finding a long term answer in the near future.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd rather they roll with what they have. A new name doesn't mean better.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I think you have to stay pat..... just because the length of time for not only a new QB to learn the system..... but time for him to comfortable in both the system and the players that surround him.....plus because of injuries to my fantasy team last year Pryor was thrust into my starting line up...... I watched most of his games....and he is a much more inaccurate passed than Davis...Grossman would be fine for this year..... but I believe the best plan is get Bradford healthy by next year.....use a high draft pick on a QB in next year's draft and have Hill Davis and yet unnamed draft pick battle for 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart next year..... Go Rams......;)

RamWoodie

Legend
I would be lying if I said I was convinced that Davis could get it done...but over the preseason, he showed me he has the ability, much like he did as a rookie. I have no clue what happened last year...but the Rams brought him back after Sam went down, and he was even in front of Quinn as backup.

I go with the coaching staff on this one! If they think they need a vet...then go get one...BUT...I'd like to see Davis remain backup. I agree with Marshall Faulk...there's something about Davis.

I think he can get it done if called into duty!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of the names I've heard; Pryor

However, I remain of the opinion Sanchez could have an Alex Smith like comeback on a solid team like the Rams. But, doesn't sound like a Schotty reunion is in the making.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After watching those highlights I was very impressed with what I saw. The running is a threat but what was really impressive was the way he always looked up field even before running. He also has a real strong arm his accuracy can be a little erratic but our Oline should be better than what he had in Oakland. He can be fishers McNair

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After watching those highlights I was very impressed with what I saw. The running is a threat but what was really impressive was the way he always looked up field even before running. He also has a real strong arm his accuracy can be a little erratic but our Oline should be better than what he had in Oakland. He can be fishers McNair

I have to admit that I was also impressed with those highlights (Thanks Memphis for sharing that with us!) and would be very happy to see the Rams add him to their roster! I do realize that Highlights don't usually show the negative side of someone but I do think these Highlights show that Pryor has a lot of natural physical ability and a very good arm and with a little more experience he could become a pretty good NFL QB and at the very least a very good backup!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The problem is, you're always impressed watching highlights. Pryor's overall play is really really bad. He needs a lot of work. As a 3rd string guy, maybe, but we better hope he never sees the field unless catastrophe strikes.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
With Pryor we'll be another team wondering why our pistol option read QB run offense doesn't work as well in wk17 as it did in wk 3. There has to be a reason 2 teams have cut him with all that talent. Most of the time its salary, but I don't think so in this case.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm all in on vet to be the third qb. I'm kinda meh on Pryor or Grossman but they will get the team through a game.
When you get to that point it's survival mode anyway so why not.

Memphis Ram

Legend
With Pryor we'll be another team wondering why our pistol option read QB run offense doesn't work as well in wk17 as it did in wk 3. There has to be a reason 2 teams have cut him with all that talent. Most of the time its salary, but I don't think so in this case.

Of course, the Raiders also cut the Rams starting RT Barksdale. And the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks who already have Russell Wilson, decided to go with a more experienced Tarvarius Jackson as their only backup QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The problem is, you're always impressed watching highlights. Pryor's overall play is really really bad. He needs a lot of work. As a 3rd string guy, maybe, but we better hope he never sees the field unless catastrophe strikes.

If any team planned to not go with his strengths and try to make him into a pocket passer, then I would agree. But, IMO, if a team made adjustments and went with a Tebow type package, he could get the team through the season while he attempted to hone his craft.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Of course, the Raiders also cut the Rams starting RT Barksdale. And the Super Bowl Champion Seahawks who already have Russell Wilson, decided to go with a more experienced Tarvarius Jackson as their only backup QB.

True

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If any team planned to not go with his strengths and try to make him into a pocket passer, then I would agree. But, IMO, if a team made adjustments and went with a Tebow type package, he could get the team through the season while he honed his craft.

But why bother installing a new offense for a player who is not that good? The only people who used the Tebow package couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Edit: I hate running QBs and can be relied on to argue against them every time. Just a timesaver FYI:D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur and there is no doubting that Pryor has talent. The issue with Pryor IMO is from the neck up and Schottenheimer's system, however, Brad Smith ran Schotty's system in New York with success. IMO Bradford is worth a million from the neck up, Pryor the neck down and there is no debating Pryor's talent. So truly what do the Rams have to lose signing Pryor?

Let's give it a shot at worse he sits on the bench, however, he offers a hell of a lot more than Brady Quinn did last season and would be a great practice QB for our defense. Gentlemen Wilson and the Golden Boy from the Golden Gate do not run as well as Pryor!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Hill and Austin this season. it's constantly lost on ppl that you lose cap room and/or a draft pick for a trade or pickup. so exactly what is the point? Bradford was our best playoff shot and Hill is the best backup shot at any kind of successful season. even if he wasn't why lose assets for someone maybe slightly better. God forbid if Hill goes down then just except the world is out to get us this season so just deal with it and draft high next year. it's like sacrificing soldiers in a battle you already know is lost so a smart general would wait to live and fight another day.

Big Willie

Starter
Looks like Kap to me. I think he could be serviceable with a strong defense and a quick pass attack. Looks limited when he has to read a defense and make longer throws. I would prefer him to an older QB, and if they go that route I would keep 3 QBs on the active roster. Also, he would have a year to learn the system and could potentially be the replacement for Sam B.