QB Mike Glennon Is Our Best Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will preface this by saying that I'm assuming that Winston, Mariota, and Cutler are not realistic options.

After them, I think Mike Glennon is our best option as the QB to put BEHIND Bradford. This is a kid that just turned 25 and at the end of his second season, he has 29 TDs to 15 Ints in just over a season worth of games/attempts. Young QBs tend to get better. Especially ones that played under two different HCs and under two different systems in their two years. I don't know why the Bucs started Josh McCown this year but it was a colossal mistake. They should have stuck with Glennon for the season and saw what he could do.

I went back and reviewed all of Glennon's starts this year on NFL Rewind and I don't understand what they were thinking. He's not a perfect QB. I'm not saying that I think he has elite potential. And to be entirely honest, I wasn't overly high on him as a prospect.

That all said, he showed more than enough this year and last year for me to believe that he has a future in the NFL. As it stands now, I think Glennon offers an extremely similar skill-set to that of Nick Foles. I think his floor in this league is carving out a year as a Kyle Orton type player...great backup/decent enough spot starter. But I do think he has the upside to be a starting caliber QB...a player similar to what Carson Palmer was this year in Arizona.

I'll tell you this, Glennon is a QB who would have no issues finding Tavon over the middle of the field. At 6'7" 230, he's able to see over the OL/DL without any issue and would actually be taller than all of our starting OLs.

On top of his height, Glennon has functional mobility in the pocket with good instincts and effective movement. He helps out his OTs by either delivering the ball at the top of his drop or climbing in the pocket to allow them to push the rush past him. Because of his size, he's confident climbing the ladder and moving within the pocket to create space and buy time. Glennon also shows the ability to anticipate routes and throw to spots rather than his WRs. His timing on passes is good for a young QB and he generally is a sound decision maker. He also has a quick release for such a tall passer and has a good understanding of touch.

The negatives for Glennon are that he doesn't have an outstanding arm. It's adequate but some of the more difficult throws get a bit more air on them than you'd like. Glennon also isn't very mobile. He's able to buy time in the pocket with his feet, instincts, and technical skills but he won't win many foot races and is no threat to run...although he does have enough mobility to improvise outside the pocket. On top of all this, his deep ball is inconsistent from game to game, he locks onto WRs at times, and his footwork needs cleaning up. His drops are a tad sloppy and methodical. He also can get sloppy with his feet in the pocket.

Still, watching this kid play, it left with a lot of disappointment in Lovie Smith...a coach I respect. I've seen QBs that just can't hang in the NFL. Mike Glennon is not one of those guys. I see NFL skills in his game and I see starter potential. He has some of the most important qualities for the position and I think that Tampa Bay did themselves a disservice not seeing what he could offer.

But Tampa Bay has the #1 pick and is likely going to draft a QB. If they do that, they have no reason to keep Glennon. I think Glennon would definitely be worth trading a 5th for. He'd give us valuable depth behind Bradford and he'd give us a guy who actually has potential if Bradford goes down. Most of all, he's a good scheme fit for our offense and a kid who still has upside that, imo, was mistreated by a new regime because he wasn't their guy. That's what got us Joe Barksdale and I'm hoping it'll be what gets us Glennon because he's our best option behind Bradford for the 2015 season(assuming what I said in the first sentence is true).

There are some Tampa Bay Rams fans on here that might disagree with my observations. And you guys are absolutely entitled to that. But I promise you this, I did take the time to watch him very closely.

FRO

Legend
I would be totally on board with this. Listening to Fisher's presser yesterday I feel they will be going the veteran QB option. Glennon, Cousins, and Sanchez are the guys who fit the mold.

Another thing to keep in mind is how horrible the Bucs offensive line is. Glennon has the arm to stretch the field. I think he is a perfect fit and can be had pretty cheaply.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
These images are all I really know about Mike Glennon honestly
- but his height does intrigue me.
But a 5th? Maybe there is a sleeper QB in the draft like Bryce Petty or the kid from Oregon State that I'd rather have with a 3rd

460x.jpg
buccaneers-rams-football-mike-glennon-robert-quinn_pg_600.jpg
Mike+Glennon+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+St+Louis+r9EAuXZUYADl.jpg

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
You might be right, even though I'm not a big fan of him. I didn't like Glennon coming out either. I thought he looked like a statue and expected a stronger arm.

He's probably on the way out in Tampa.

I don't see him as a difference maker, but with so few options he'd be good competition for Sam and very affordable (outside of a draft pick).

It's a bad time to need a QB.

FRO

Legend
You might be right, even though I'm not a big fan of him. I didn't like Glennon coming out either. I thought he looked like a statue and expected a stronger arm.

I don't see him as a difference maker, but with so few options he'd be good competition for Sam and very affordable (outside of a draft pick).

I'm not sure we need a difference maker. An average starter and a great line would go a long ways.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I will preface this by saying that I'm assuming that Winston, Mariota, and Cutler are not realistic options.

After them, I think Mike Glennon is our best option as the QB to put BEHIND Bradford. This is a kid that just turned 25 and at the end of his second season, he has 29 TDs to 15 Ints in just over a season worth of games/attempts. Young QBs tend to get better. Especially ones that played under two different HCs and under two different systems in their two years. I don't know why the Bucs started Josh McCown this year but it was a colossal mistake. They should have stuck with Glennon for the season and saw what he could do.

I went back and reviewed all of Glennon's starts this year on NFL Rewind and I don't understand what they were thinking. He's not a perfect QB. I'm not saying that I think he has elite potential. And to be entirely honest, I wasn't overly high on him as a prospect.

That all said, he showed more than enough this year and last year for me to believe that he has a future in the NFL. As it stands now, I think Glennon offers an extremely similar skill-set to that of Nick Foles. I think his floor in this league is carving out a year as a Kyle Orton type player...great backup/decent enough spot starter. But I do think he has the upside to be a starting caliber QB...a player similar to what Carson Palmer was this year in Arizona.

I'll tell you this, Glennon is a QB who would have no issues finding Tavon over the middle of the field. At 6'7" 230, he's able to see over the OL/DL without any issue and would actually be taller than all of our starting OLs.

On top of his height, Glennon has functional mobility in the pocket with good instincts and effective movement. He helps out his OTs by either delivering the ball at the top of his drop or climbing in the pocket to allow them to push the rush past him. Because of his size, he's confident climbing the ladder and moving within the pocket to create space and buy time. Glennon also shows the ability to anticipate routes and throw to spots rather than his WRs. His timing on passes is good for a young QB and he generally is a sound decision maker. He also has a quick release for such a tall passer and has a good understanding of touch.

The negatives for Glennon are that he doesn't have an outstanding arm. It's adequate but some of the more difficult throws get a bit more air on them than you'd like. Glennon also isn't very mobile. He's able to buy time in the pocket with his feet, instincts, and technical skills but he won't win many foot races and is no threat to run...although he does have enough mobility to improvise outside the pocket. On top of all this, his deep ball is inconsistent from game to game, he locks onto WRs at times, and his footwork needs cleaning up. His drops are a tad sloppy and methodical. He also can get sloppy with his feet in the pocket.

Still, watching this kid play, it left with a lot of disappointment in Lovie Smith...a coach I respect. I've seen QBs that just can't hang in the NFL. Mike Glennon is not one of those guys. I see NFL skills in his game and I see starter potential. He has some of the most important qualities for the position and I think that Tampa Bay did themselves a disservice not seeing what he could offer.

But Tampa Bay has the #1 pick and is likely going to draft a QB. If they do that, they have no reason to keep Glennon. I think Glennon would definitely be worth trading a 5th for. He'd give us valuable depth behind Bradford and he'd give us a guy who actually has potential if Bradford goes down. Most of all, he's a good scheme fit for our offense and a kid who still has upside that, imo, was mistreated by a new regime because he wasn't their guy. That's what got us Joe Barksdale and I'm hoping it'll be what gets us Glennon because he's our best option behind Bradford for the 2015 season(assuming what I said in the first sentence is true).

There are some Tampa Bay Rams fans on here that might disagree with my observations. And you guys are absolutely entitled to that. But I promise you this, I did take the time to watch him very closely.

I'll ask this since you just finished watching his entire year.

What if the price was a 3rd rounder? Are you "arrow up" on him enough for that?

Ramathon

If he's on the way out in TB, how can he possibly be 'good' competition for SB8?

Your last statement deserves one big loud.....AMEN!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These images are all I really know about Mike Glennon honestly
- but his height does intrigue me.
But a 5th? Maybe there is a sleeper QB in the draft like Bryce Petty or the kid from Oregon State that I'd rather have with a 3rd

View attachment 4862 View attachment 4863 View attachment 4864

The kid from Oregon State has the same sort of physical tools as Glennon with a much slower release, less polished, and worse decision making skills.

And Petty has talent but he's coming from Baylor's Air Raid offense, was not very accurate this year, has back problems, is about to turn 24, and does not display good pocket presence.

That's why I prefer Glennon. We're talking about giving up a 5th for a guy who has proven he can play at the NFL level instead of a 3rd for developmental guys whose realistic upside is probably what Glennon is now.

He is a bit of a statue but he's better than you expect at buying time because he has good instincts and movement within the pocket. Plus, at 6'7", he can climb the pocket while still maintaining his field vision.

He does have some ability to improvise though:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000407148/Glennon-finds-Jackson-for-34-yards

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not really a fan of Glennon at all. I'd welcome him, and hope maybe he could be the guy - but I really doubt that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's on the way out in TB, how can he possibly be 'good' competition for SB8?

Your last statement deserves one big loud.....AMEN!

Barksdale was on his way out in Oakland. So was Carson Palmer.

Teams make bad decisions...especially when new regimes inherit players.

Ramathon

I'm not sure we need a difference maker. An average starter and a great line would go a long ways.

Every team needs a difference maker at every position. Obviously not going to have that happen, but should never settle for an 'average starter'.....particularly at the most important position on the team.

If I didn't think Bradford was capable of being a 'good' starter, not very likely 'great', but good....I'd cut him in a heartbeat and move on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd consider it. However, I am not overly enamoured with the arm strength.

I feel the lack of a deep ball really hurt the Rams this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really a fan of Glennon at all. I'd welcome him, and hope maybe he could be the guy - but I really doubt that.

He isn't supposed to be "the guy". Bradford is. He's just supposed to be a guy good enough to not drag the team down if we have to play him. Kind of like Kyle Orton in Buffalo this year...but hopefully better.

I'll ask this since you just finished watching his entire year.

What if the price was a 3rd rounder? Are you "arrow up" on him enough for that?

No. The Bucs can hold onto him for that.

Ramathon

Barksdale was on his way out in Oakland. So was Carson Palmer.

Teams make bad decisions...especially when new regimes inherit players.

Yes, that occurs. But good teams make FAR more good decisions than bad. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd consider it. However, I am not overly enamoured with the arm strength.

I feel the lack of a deep ball really hurt the Rams this year.

Honestly, the deep ball isn't so much the issue with him. He has the arm to hit the deep ball...just needs to improve his mechanics to be more consistent with his placement. The issue more would be some of the deep outs and comebacks that we ran with Sam that we didn't really see this year due to our limitations at QB. We'd likely have to do the same with Glennon.

His arm isn't weak...but it's not strong either. Better than Hill's and Davis's though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, that occurs. But good teams make FAR more good decisions than bad. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

We're talking about a team picking #1. They're not a good team. The fact that they started McCown all season proves that imo.

Alan

Legend
So if he has the kind of potential to be as good a backup as @jrry32 thinks he does, why would they trade him for a song when we all know how important the backup QB position is?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yeah but we are talking about the Raiders and the Bucs......two teams that nobody would call good and two teams that don't make good decisions.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
You make some good points.

Glennon was handed the TB job twice lost it twice. Had about the same stats than Davis, yet had better WR's and arguably better protection. he makes poor decisions with the ball and has accuracy issues.
Given time yeah maybe he he can be a quality backup, and I'd consider him as a backup if he could beat out Davis.

But compete against Bradford, that's DOA..