QB gurus: how does Marcus Marriota compare to Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Mariotta is the top QB coming out this year IMO. (Tho I would like to swap Hundley and Winston"s teams just to see how they look with different talent around them).
But it's apples and oranges with him and Bradford. Totally different QB's.
What's not known about Mariotta is how well he can read defenses and go through progressions in a NFL type system. He's already better than Kaperdick and might end up better than Wilson as far as making plays.
I would take him if he's there and we needed a QB. But I would also go in 100% on working the offense around him. Schotty might have to go. So may a couple players.

But he's not as good as Bradford. I don't know if he will ever be better than Bradford even if Bradfords leg holds him back. He will never have the accuracy or the touch. Training camp battle would be over in a week.

I've watched QB's for over 40 years, there is no Luck in this draft nor even a Bradford. I don't see any of this draft class coming in and being a stud QB game one starter lead the team to the playoffs ot close to it in the first year.

209RamsFan

That was a major issue I had with Bradford.....he had cement blocks for feet...dude went down waaaaaay too easy with NO concept for....I don't know....ELUSIVENESS !!!!

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Don't consider myself a guru in anything but I watched Mariota today play well against a good Michigan State team. His pocket presence for the most part seemed decent. They mentioned how he had worked on pocket presence this year on the broadcast but he then proceeded to step into a sack.Irony, huh? His ability to scramble and evade pressure is obvious and he can improvise well. I would love to see him throw into some tighter spots. A lot of his passes seemed to be to receivers who were well open. Hard to knock him for that when he put those on the money, but he got some easy ones today. Overall, a good game for Marcus.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't consider myself a guru in anything but I watched Mariota today play well against a good Michigan State team. His pocket presence for the most part seemed decent. They mentioned how he had worked on pocket presence this year on the broadcast but he then proceeded to step into a sack.Irony, huh? His ability to scramble and evade pressure is obvious and he can improvise well. I would love to see him throw into some tighter spots. A lot of his passes seemed to be to receivers who were well open. Hard to knock him for that when he put those on the money, but he got some easy ones today. Overall, a good game for Marcus.

I gotta disagree. Don't think Mariota had an impressive day. All three of his TDs came to WRs that were WIDE open. They were throws any NFL prospect should make. Two of the three came on busted coverage where there was no DB within 10-20 yards of the WR. The other came on an offensive pick play that wasn't flagged and the WR had 5 yards of separation. He had another 64 yard completion to a WR that had no DB within 20 yards of him.

I just can't sit there and say a guy played well because he hit wide open WRs. For me, the plays that separate guys are the difficult ones and Oregon's offense really cuts down on the difficult NFL caliber plays that Mariota has to make. Additionally, I thought his pocket presence wasn't good. He's elusive and athletic but he's far too reliant on it. He ran himself into multiple sacks, did not seem to feel pressure well, and was far too reliant on using his athleticism to evade pressure instead of using technique which often resulted in him dropping his eyes to scramble.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I gotta disagree. Don't think Mariota had an impressive day. All three of his TDs came to WRs that were WIDE open. They were throws any NFL prospect should make. Two of the three came on busted coverage where there was no DB within 10-20 yards of the WR. The other came on an offensive pick play that wasn't flagged and the WR had 5 yards of separation. He had another 64 yard completion to a WR that had no DB within 20 yards of him.

I just can't sit there and say a guy played well because he hit wide open WRs. For me, the plays that separate guys are the difficult ones and Oregon's offense really cuts down on the difficult NFL caliber plays that Mariota has to make. Additionally, I thought his pocket presence wasn't good. He's elusive and athletic but he's far too reliant on it. He ran himself into multiple sacks, did not seem to feel pressure well, and was far too reliant on using his athleticism to evade pressure instead of using technique which often resulted in him dropping his eyes to scramble.
I'd have to agree, but it did come together when he needed it most.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have to agree, but it did come together when he needed it most.

Yes but I don't feel like the car was being driven by Mariota. Just my opinion.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes but I don't feel like the car was being driven by Mariota. Just my opinion.
Well, he extended some plays at the end, but earlier, and I watched the whole game, they didn't impress me as NFL QB's, although, I saw some moments.

Rams0307

Mariota reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson in that he scrambles well and keeps a play going when most can't, but , also like Wilson, he seems to only make big plays with his arm when his WR's are wide open. It's hard to knock a guy for that I guess, but it's exactly why I'm not sold on him and only consider Wilson to be an avg QB in the NFL. Neither QB has ever shown the ability to throw a ball in a tight window, and I never see either deliver the ball before their receivers come out of their breaks. Both are lucky enough to play in offenses where the OC's have a knack for scheming guys wide open.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

Eh. I might sour on the game when I think about it later, but I'm still sitting in the after effects of this so it's a not so well thought out immediate reaction. I would love to see Mariota fit some into tight coverage. Hoping that some QBs pop up this season and give the Rams some options with the 1st rounder.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Don't think Mariota had an impressive day. All three of his TDs came to WR's that were wide open
I understand your position but you don't often find a quote like that followed by pretty heavy criticism of a qb's play. Just found it unusual

AZRamsFan93

Sam clearly has the better arm talent. Not even really close. And prototypical size. Like was said, bum luck to be drafted by a gutted offensive team with no DB talent at the time in a very tough defensive division with fluke injuries.

Mariota has a Bridgewater type arm. Not strong really, but accurate. Both about the same size, Mariota being a lot more mobile.

Really hope someone steps up. Hundley? Because...gonna need to be drafting a QB this year.
Sam Bradford is 6-4 224
Marcus Mariota is 6-4 215
Teddy Bridgewater is 6-2 210

I am not sure about the differentiation based upon size. Mariota and Bradford are pretty close.

JaMarcus Russell had great arm talent. It is not about talent. It is about playing football.

Marcus Mariota is a football player. He likely won't be around when the Rams draft, but I would love to have him wearing horns.

AZRamsFan93

IMHO, this is an odd argument. He made the throws he needed to make. Why do you think those safeties had their eyes in backfield - allowing those receivers to come so wide open? Could it be the threat of his 4.4 speed?

I, for one, hope we can get Mariota. It would open up so many new opportunities for our offense.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not a fan of Mariota, pocket presence and ability to read defenses is a must have if you want the QB to succeed long term. Wilson is perceived as a gimmicky QB but I don't see that in him as much as his rookie campaign, Crapernick is primed to bust once Greg Roman can't scheme around his deficiencies. The same issues of him are gonna show on Mariota too once defenses has half a season worth of film on him unless he shows signs of improvement with traditional QB mechanics.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMHO, this is an odd argument. He made the throws he needed to make. Why do you think those safeties had their eyes in backfield - allowing those receivers to come so wide open? Could it be the threat of his 4.4 speed?

I, for one, hope we can get Mariota. It would open up so many new opportunities for our offense.

No, it's not the threat of his 4.4 speed. It's the Oregon offense as a whole which utilizes so much movement pre-snap and so many different methods of misdirection that it can confuse even the best college defenses/defenders.

Making the throws you need to make in college means shit to me. That's college. It's great for him and Oregon. But I want to know what Mariota is going to be able to do in the NFL. And hitting a WR that isn't covered due to a bust in the coverage doesn't tell me anything.

When I watch a game, I want to see skills that translate to the NFL. I want to see throws that the QB will be making on Sundays. The less you see, the harder the guy is to evaluate. And that's a major issue with Oregon's offense. How do you judge a guy when he doesn't often make the sort of throws/reads he's going to have to make at the next level?

I, for one, need to see a whole hell of a lot more from Mariota before I'd say I want him on the Rams. Right now, I prefer Jameis Winston.

I understand your position but you don't often find a quote like that followed by pretty heavy criticism of a qb's play. Just found it unusual

Well, in evaluating a player, you want to evaluate things that translate over. Hitting WRs that aren't covered doesn't tell you anything about the guy's skills that translate over.

It's one of those things where the stats look great but, in the end, what does it really tell you? Mariota is capable of completing a pass to a WR that has nobody around him. Shouldn't that be true of just about any NFL QB prospect?

I want to see plays that mirror what he'll face in the NFL.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It was more of an observation than a question jrry. Granted the system is a prolific scoring machine but 3 tds 300+ yds and no TO's is about all you can ask of a QB against in a big game against a 7th ranked team. I am not saying it makes him NFL ready just look at the myriad of NFL QB failures with abounding stats. I thought he took advantage of what was given him and used his athleticism to extend plays he did take 3 sacks and has room for improvement for sure. Overall I need to see more but there is something there to work with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, though, as much as I love college football from the perspective of this board, I don't care about his success in college. I care about whether he can be successful for our Rams. And while 300 yards and 3 TDs sound nice, it doesn't mean much to me if he's not put into situations where he's having to do things he'll be responsible for in the NFL.

I'd rather he throw for 200 yards, 1 TD and 2 Ints if that 1 TD was perfectly thrown into tight coverage and the two Ints came on passes with perfect timing/anticipation and ball placement on NFL style throws that bounced off the WRs' hands.

In order for me to want the kid on the Rams, I gotta believe he'll be successful and it's really difficult to tell in that Oregon offense.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Please not Jameis Winston - that guy is way way too much a boom/bust prospect. Mariota might be intriguing, if he is given time to develop - hard to say if he could be our guy.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I'd be way more excited about Winston than Mariota, although I do see the potential in both. I just think Winston has that it factor.