QB gurus: how does Marcus Marriota compare to Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
Obviously the two played vastly different systems, but how would they grade against one another if Sam was in this draft?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would think Sam would be rated higher. Sam was a better fit to an NFL system with a bigger arm.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
In my mind Sam was the 2nd most talented QB to come out (after Luck) since Aaron Rodgers. Just bad luck to be drafted by us during the dark ages, and plain awful luck with fluke injuries. From the little I've seen of MM, there isn't really any comparison. Like most of the 1st rounders lately (notice I said MOST), he'll be the best of what's there.

Anyway, the way the league seems to want to head we'd be better off drafting a running back and teaching him to read half the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As it stands now, Bradford without a doubt in my mind. Bradford wasn't flawless but he had elite arm talent. His combination of accuracy, touch, and arm strength were the best since Carson Palmer imo. And he was sneaky athletic. On top of that, he was a sound college decision maker with a quick, compact, and effortless release. His upper body mechanics were nearly ideal.

Much more polished player than Mariota and a more accurate passer. But not the physical talent that Mariota is. Still, Bradford was so much further ahead as a passer that Mariota's greater physical talent wouldn't be nearly enough to deter me from drafting Bradford.

What flaws did Bradford have?
1. Obviously, the durability questions
2. Pocket presence as he didn't face much pressure in college but he did look good when he faced it so wasn't an overwhelming concern for me
3. Pocket movement...this was a concern because he didn't have this at Oklahoma due to the blocking and it's essential in the NFL
4. Lower body mechanics...a minor concern that ties in with pocket movement, Bradford was far too static and flat with his feet when sitting in the pocket

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Mariota is WaaaaY more elusive and can extend plays because of that. He also seems to be more of a gunslinger that really commits and plays very deliberate you never sense hesitation from him he is a gamer. Straight up mechanics and tools favor Bradford.

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, if we look at every first round QB prospect and the first question we ask is "do they look better than Bradford did?", we're probably never going to draft one.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Mariota has more of a future in the NFL. I want elusive into todays NFL. With rookie contracts these days, why not be prepared to switch out QB's every 4-5 years? Let the young QB's scramble, and spend the money your positional superstars.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Marriota has a pretty good arm too...But Bradfords accuracy was outta this world....Marriota can really run...seems thin boned...and may have injury issues at the pro level too...Scared of the thin boned QB....Not that he can't fill out, but scared.

Rams0307

They are nothing alike. Bradford had much better arm talent than Mariota and was more of a prototypical pocket passer. Mariota is much more elusive and has good enough straight line speed to take it 15-20 yards on a carry. I've yet to see Mariota throw the ball in tight windows like Bradford could in college though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Mariota reminds me a lot of Kaepernick. He's going to need some time to grow in the NFL, but his physical talent is ridiculous. With a good OC and QB coach, he could be a force in the NFL.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
My take is that teams often draft the best QB for their offensive system. Right now that is Shotty and a ball controlled offense, but could change. Both QB's come from a spread offense with up tempo, so they each would have to make similar adjustments. I agree that Mariota extends plays better and often can find receivers running open down field where Bradford was just getting comfortable working through progressions as a pocket passer. With the Ram's O-line, better draft a mobile quarterback IMO.

RamWoodie

Legend
Obviously the two played vastly different systems, but how would they grade against one another if Sam was in this draft?
What's a Marcus Mariotta? Sounds like some kind of make of a violin...:p

Athos

Legend
Sam clearly has the better arm talent. Not even really close. And prototypical size. Like was said, bum luck to be drafted by a gutted offensive team with no DB talent at the time in a very tough defensive division with fluke injuries.

Mariota has a Bridgewater type arm. Not strong really, but accurate. Both about the same size, Mariota being a lot more mobile.

Really hope someone steps up. Hundley? Because...gonna need to be drafting a QB this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mariota has more of a future in the NFL. I want elusive into todays NFL. With rookie contracts these days, why not be prepared to switch out QB's every 4-5 years? Let the young QB's scramble, and spend the money your positional superstars.

Because unless you're switching mediocre QB for mediocre QB, the odds that you replace the QB with someone equal or better are low...and you're doing your team a disservice at the most important position on the field.

I want an arm and a mind in today's NFL. Why? I'll show you...top 10 offenses in PPG:
1. Denver - P. Manning
2. Chicago - J. Cutler/J. McCown
3. New England - T. Brady
4. Philadelphia - N. Foles
5. Dallas - T. Romo
6. Cincinnati - A. Dalton
7. Kansas City - A. Smith
8. Green Bay - A. Rodgers
9. Seattle - R. Wilson
10. New Orleans - D. Brees

Every QB but Russell Wilson is a pocket passer. The mobile QB love is way overstated. You want a great offense...you need a QB that wins with his arm and his mind.

I'm certainly not against drafting a mobile guy...but I'm not going to draft a guy BECAUSE he's mobile. Hell. most young QBs...even pocket passers...are somewhat athletic.

Athos

Legend

hah. Wilson is still the only mobile QB that's won the SB in a long time and he had Lynch and a ridiculous D to rely on.

Gimme a Big Ben in his prime type over string beans like RGWhine and Mariota (who I DO happen to like as a candidate to draft), a midget like Wilson (who will be up shit creek when his legs leave him), or an incompetent QB like Kaeperdick.

Big Ben was mobile in extended plays because he was like a linebacker at QB. THAT is my prototypical QB, especially for this offense.

The other option is the Rodgers type. Pocket passer, but crazy athletic.

Trouble is finding that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hah. Wilson is still the only mobile QB that's won the SB in a long time and he had Lynch and a ridiculous D to rely on.

Gimme a Big Ben in his prime type over string beans like RGWhine and Mariota (who I DO happen to like as a candidate to draft), a midget like Wilson (who will be up crap creek when his legs leave him), or an incompetent QB like Kaeperdick.

Big Ben was mobile in extended plays because he was like a linebacker at QB. THAT is my prototypical QB, especially for this offense.

Trouble is finding that.

Jameis Winston is a lot like Big Ben. Huge and very difficult to sack.

Athos

Legend
Jameis Winston is a lot like Big Ben. Huge and very difficult to sack.

Shame he has the Big Ben sexual assault thing going on as well though. Not my cup of tea to have those types on my team. Couldn't bring myself to root for em.