QB Garrett Grayson has private workout scheduled with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold

At the moment CSU QB Garrett Grayson has private workouts scheduled in the coming weeks with San Diego, St. Louis and Miami.

Stel

Starter
He's probably my favorite of the non first round QBs, although this isn't a good year for QBs so most will likely be overdrafted.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like G Squared and he's on the list, prefer Bryce Petty, but Grayson ran more of a pro style attack under Jim McElwain so the adjustment to the NFL will be easier then coming from a spread offense.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
its just too bad that Grayson doesn't have a stronger arm, after this past season I never want to see a weak armed qb play for the rams again.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hundley man here...Grayson, Petty, and the others throw a weak deep ball, wobbly outs, and played very poor competition....No way to tell if they'll develop...At least Hundley has tools and has played against NFL caliber DB's & D-Lineman...with a poor offensive line...Perfect fit for us...

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
played against NFL caliber DB's & D-Lineman...
I was with you up until this since I don't think the Pac12 is a great defensive conference despite the individual talent headed to the NFL... I'm pretty sure our local pop warner team could have put up at least 30 on Cal...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was with you up until this since I don't think the Pac12 is a great defensive conference despite the individual talent headed to the NFL... I'm pretty sure our local pop warner team could have put up at least 30 on Cal...
Isn't Cal's head coach from the Big-12?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CSU's Grayson puts best foot forward for NFL scouts
By Kelly Lyell, The Coloradoan

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...do-state-grayson-nfl-scouts-pro-day/70332880/

Garrett Grayson completed 70 of 74 passes, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 seconds and generally did everything he felt he needed to do Monday to prove he's ready to play quarterback in the NFL.

Grayson, who rewrote CSU's single-season and career passing records over the past four years, felt good about his efforts in a personal pro day before scouts from 11 NFL teams.

"I was happy with my performance today," Grayson said after the 75-minute session at Colorado State University's Indoor Practice Facility.

He threw a wide range of passes in a workout designed by the scouts on hand, with former teammate Charles Lovett serving as his receiver and looked confident and sharp. The balky hamstring that kept him from participating in the NFL Scouting Combine last month in Indianapolis and CSU's pro day two weeks ago didn't bother him at all, he said afterward.

Grayson is considered one of the top five quarterbacks in this year's NFL draft by most analysts, with some ranking him as high as No. 3, trailing only the past two Heisman Trophy winners -- Jameis Winston of Florida State and Marcus Mariota of Oregon.

Grayson had a vertical leap of 34 inches in testing and went 10 feet, 1 inch in the standing broad jump. His 40-yard dash times were hand-timed at 4.76 and 4.72 seconds. He also ran some shuttle tests and a 3-cone drill.

Mostly, though, the 6-foot-2, 213-pounder showed off the footwork and passing skills that allowed him to rewrite the CSU record book. He threw for 4,006 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior last fall and for 9,190 yards and 64 touchdowns in his CSU career.

Taking mimicked under-center snaps from former teammate Ty Sambrailo, Grayson threw short passes, deep balls, out routes to the sideline and while rolling out -- both to the side he was throwing to and to the opposite side and throwing back across the field. He was on the money on pretty much every one of them.

"I think I proved I could make all the throws," Grayson said. "… I wanted to prove to everybody that I could take the five- and seven-stop drop and throw with accuracy. And then when the quarterback coaches came out and had me rolling to my right and throwing a comeback to the far side of the field, that was something I wanted to prove that I had the arm strength to make those throws."

Grayson will leave Tuesday for Florida to participate in the Jon Gruden Quarterback Camp, where he'll break down film and showcase his mental knowledge of the game to the former NFL coach and current ESPN analyst for an upcoming television show. UCLA's Brett Hundley, Baylor's Bryce Petty, Winston and Mariota also will participate in the Gruden Camp.

"I've watched all those guys throw and compete, and there's not a doubt in my mind that I can compete with them," Grayson said.

Grayson said he'll work out at CSU with his former teammates, and he's got some private workouts scheduled on campus with some NFL teams leading up to the draft. The Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers had two scouts apiece at Grayson's workout Monday. Scouts representing the Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams also were on hand.

"I'm definitely very excited to be a part of this whole process," Grayson said. "Even to be mentioned in the top five quarterbacks is something I'm very excited about. … I've been playing football since I was 6 years old, I've worked every day for this opportunity … I'm definitely happy just to be here and get the opportunity and prove that I can do it."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like G Squared and he's on the list, prefer Bryce Petty, but Grayson ran more of a pro style attack under Jim McElwain so the adjustment to the NFL will be easier then coming from a spread offense.
Only thing with these two is their both a Little 'Short', at 6 Ft 2 Inc., for my liking. What do you think of Sean Mannion in the later rounds!?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hundley man here...Grayson, Petty, and the others throw a weak deep ball, wobbly outs, and played very poor competition....No way to tell if they'll develop...At least Hundley has tools and has played against NFL caliber DB's & D-Lineman...with a poor offensive line...Perfect fit for us...

Actually this analysis has his deep ball as pretty impressive

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/garrett-grayson?id=2552371

As far as the short thing goes there is just one Qb currently in the NFL tall enough to see over 6'4" inch linemen Osweiler, the reast have to see in the lanes so an inch just doesn't give a QB an appreciable advantage
Additional point the noted "Auburn Connection" though not as prevalent is the Colorado State connection

Athos

Legend
its just too bad that Grayson doesn't have a stronger arm, after this past season I never want to see a weak armed qb play for the rams again.

Yea, I have no interest in weak armed QBs. We suffered through that enough with Davis and Hill. Constant flutters or overthrows because they're lollipopping the ball too much. Can't make the tight window passes. Can't make those sideline out passes or those 18 yard in/out dig routes.

Don't overdraft a QB in a shit QB draft while passing over quality guys. I don't want to see a QB before the 5th after Mariota/Winston.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually this analysis has his deep ball as pretty impressive

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/garrett-grayson?id=2552371

As far as the short thing goes there is just one Qb currently in the NFL tall enough to see over 6'4" inch linemen Osweiler, the reast have to see in the lanes so an inch just doesn't give a QB an appreciable advantage
Additional point the noted "Auburn Connection" though not as prevalent is the Colorado State connection

I'm assuming you don't mean 6'4"?

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that OLs aren't standing straight up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm assuming you don't mean 6'4"?

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that OLs aren't standing straight up.
And FYI I am NOT overlooking anything although you MIGHT be overlooking the fact that adding at least 2" to a linemans height for a helmet and subtracting the min. three inch distance between the crown of the head to the level of the eyes gives a 6ft line of sight for a six three QB add in that line that line of sight doesn't descend until it is actually above IOW the los actually vectors upward ,lanes man the way almost all have to go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And FYI I am NOT overlooking anything although you MIGHT be overlooking the fact that adding at least 2" to a linemans height for a helmet and subtracting the min. three inch distance between the crown of the head to the level of the eyes gives a 6ft line of sight for a six three QB add in that line that line of sight doesn't descend until it is actually above IOW the los actually vectors upward ,lanes man the way almost all have to go.

Since we're doing addition and subtraction, are you subtracting the height lost for an OL sitting in their stance to maintain leverage as well as adding the height gained from the QB gaining depth in this drop?

Not to mention the fact that the interior OLs are on average shorter than the OTs.

There are a number of QBs in the NFL that have no issues with vision over the OL.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Except how many O-linemen stand straight up in pass protection? Hint: Not any good ones lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Foles was under contract for another year then I would say pass on all of the QBs this year. However he is not so they may as well try someone out that they think has some potential. Maybe they get lucky. It is doubtful but just maybe. The Seahawks and Pats got lucky....the Rams did once too.