QB Davis ready if called upon vs. Bucs/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
QB Davis ready if called upon vs. Bucs
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_692fb29b-46aa-51ce-a3ee-9e8c62bd88de.html

Coach Jeff Fisher said it will probably be a game-time decision Sunday afternoon, but all signs point to Austin Davis making his first NFL regular-season start against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in place of the injured Shaun Hill.

After sitting out practice Wednesday and Thursday, Hill was officially listed as limited Friday. Call it extremely limited. Hill, who suffered a thigh injury in the first half of last week’s season opener against Minnesota, took some snaps and made some throws on the side. But he got no work in any 11-on-11 drills.

“Obviously, Shaun didn’t do much today,” Fisher said after Friday’s practice. “He’ll probably be a game-time decision, but we got Austin some reps. Austin’s much better suited to play this game this week because of the starter reps that he’s taken. We’ll see what happens.”

Physically, Fisher said Hill is making progress with the injury. He will be further evaluated today, and it may even come down to how he looks during warmups before Sunday’s 3:05 p.m. (St. Louis time) kickoff at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.

Fisher said it’s possible that Hill could start Sunday even without taking a single rep of 11-on-11, or 7-on-7 work all week.

“Yes, he can,” Fisher said. “He’s got a good enough feel for what we’re doing.”

But Fisher added: “It’s all about risking additional injury and missing more playing time. That’s what the decision will be based on.”

For his part, Davis says he’s excited about the chance to make his first NFL regular-season start. (He did start the preseason finale in Miami on Aug.28, a game in which Fisher rested all 22 starters.)

“I mean the opportunity to start in your first NFL game? Who doesn’t dream about that?” Davis said. “I’ve been here for a couple years, and definitely looking forward to this opportunity. Absolutely.

“We’ll see what we can do, and get Shaun healthy. But if not, I’ll be ready to go, and have a lot of confidence in myself and what we’re doing offensively.”

Getting a full week of work with the starting offense has been invaluable for Davis, 25, who was born in Ringgold, Ga., but grew up in Collinsville, Miss.

“A lot of help,” he said. “Just more comfortable with the operation in and out of the huddle with Scott (Wells) at center. Better timing with the receivers. And knowing exactly what we’re doing every play.”

After replacing Hill to start the second half against Minnesota, Davis completed 16 of 23 passes for 192 yards. He led the Rams on two field goal drives, accounting for the team’s only points in a 34-6 loss. But he also threw a fourth-quarter interception that was returned 81 yards by safety Harrison Smith for the Vikings’ final touchdown.

“Certainly, you can’t turn the ball over,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “And then, there were a few time times he held on to the ball a little too long. Couple of those sacks late in the game were on him. The ball’s got to go someplace.

“All things considered, the situation he came into without any reps, I thought he did a nice job.”

Just in case, the Rams have a small package of plays ready for No. 3 QB Case Keenum, who was claimed off waivers from the Houston Texans less than two weeks ago and, obviously, is still learning the offense.

“We have a decision to make whether we keep two or three (quarterbacks) up right now,” Fisher said after Friday’s workout. “A lot can happen in the next 48 hours.”

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Austin or Hill.
I just want to see the team improve as a whole this week.
I can take a loss with the best of them. I just want to go out and put up a legitimate fight week to week.
I'm ready for Sunday.