Qb Costs Helped Shape Powerful Nfc West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ST. LOUIS -- As they sit down to watch the NFC Championship Game between the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers this weekend, St. Louis Rams fans might find themselves wondering how their team can keep pace with the two NFC West division heavyweights.

They might also wonder how the Seahawks and Niners became such powerhouses in the first place. There is more than one correct answer to both questions but there's one response that could apply to either: the quarterbacks. More specifically, the cost (or lack thereof) of the quarterbacks.

Seattle and San Francisco are to be commended for finding talented signal callers in Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick in the third and second round, respectively. Both teams have done a good job of developing the quarterbacks and getting production out of them early in their careers. Taking it further, they've also benefited greatly from the fact that Wilson and Kaepernick are dirt cheap relative to other starters on playoff-caliber teams.

In 2013, Kaepernick's cap hit was $1,397,535, which ranked 43rd amongst the league's quarterbacks. Wilson was even cheaper, coming in at $681,085, which ranked 54th amongst NFL quarterbacks. For a little perspective, Wilson's backup Tarvaris Jackson makes $840,000.

Kaepernick accounts for 1.2 percent of San Francisco's salary cap and Wilson just 0.5 percent of Seattle's. Even the most adept coupon clippers would struggle to find bargain prices that good.

Meanwhile, St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford accounted for 11.48 percent of the team's salary cap with a cap value of $12,600,425 in 2013. Bradford played in less than seven full games before a season-ending ACL injury against Carolina in Week 7. While Bradford was playing well before the injury, he's widely -- and rightfully -- regarded as lower on the quarterback hierarchy than Wilson or Kaepernick.

Of course, Bradford's hefty contract is no fault of the Rams. Rather, it's a function of a broken rookie wage scale that saw top draft picks making so much money that it was a major point of negotiation in the last collective bargaining agreement. The Rams just so happened to have the unfortunate timing of making the final No. 1 overall pick before the rookie wage scale was introduced and top picks became far more palatable.

Despite Bradford's expensive deal, the Rams have remained active in free agency and continued building through the draft with some savvy maneuvering. Still, that hasn't been enough to keep up with the likes of the Niners and Seahawks, both of whom had a bit of a head start and have a much better recent history of intelligent drafting and spending.

So how does one go about quantifying the net effect of having cheaper options such as Wilson and Kaepernick at quarterback? It's clear that Seattle and San Francisco have concentrated their spending on defense, where they have spent the most and fifth-most of their caps of any teams in the league.

Here's two prime examples:
  • Seattle has built one of the league's deepest rosters overall with special attention and extra funds toward building the defensive line. The Seahawks invested a whopping 27 percent of their cap on defensive linemen this season. Bargain signings on veteran linemen Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett elevated an already strong group and the Seahawks were rewarded by leading the NFL in pressuring opposing quarterbacks on 33 percent of their drop backs.
  • San Francisco has also built a deep and talented roster but used much of its savings on putting together the league's best linebacking corps. Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis,NaVorro Bowman and Ahmad Brooks have all earned Pro Bowl appearances in the past two seasons. The Niners invested 15 percent of their salary cap on the position.
It would be unfair to imply that the quarterbacks are the only thing setting the Niners and Seahawks apart from teams like the Rams. Seattle and San Francisco have built complete rosters with talent at most every position and both rely on elite defenses. But it's also instructive to note the types of moves, such as Seattle's addition of Bennett and Avril, both teams have made while the Rams find themselves scrapping for salary-cap space this offseason.

Of course, the day will soon come when both Seattle and San Francisco have to pay the piper and ante up lucrative contracts to keep their quarterbacks. That will almost certainly prevent both teams from retaining all of the current talent on the roster -- for an example, see Baltimore's 2013 offseason adventures -- and that should help level the playing field.

In the meantime, the Rams' margin for error in the draft and free agency remains far thinner than the two NFC West rivals who will play for a trip to the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not a huge fan of either of those two QBs.
And I would argue not only are those two QBs not the only thing separating those teams from the Rams, I would argue they're not even the main thing separating them from the Rams.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
My gosh that put things into perspective and I could only read half of it. Those teams are gonna get chewed up in cap casualties when those contracts come back around. But heck, the Rams will too.

I think anytime you end the season with nearly $50 million either on IR or dead cap you will struggle, does it really take an article to explain that?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
They've saved money on QB's in the short term and are paying out the ass at other positions. It's not like the 9ers and Hawks are sitting there with Cleveland Browns money or Tampa Bay Bucs money, they're both sitting with under $3 million in cap space.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not a huge fan of either of those two QBs.
And I would argue not only are those two QBs not the only thing separating those teams from the Rams, I would argue they're not even the main thing separating them from the Rams.

The QBs themselves are nothing special but what their low salaries enable the teams to spend on other positions is huge. I think that is the main gist of the article.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm looking forward to the HUGE deals those guys get. 100 million for wittle Wussell Wilson. And that will be when Lynch is used up and he will have to carry the team by throwing the ball. Seadderall is going to crash hard when that happens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking forward to the HUGE deals those guys get. 100 million for wittle Wussell Wilson. And that will be when Lynch is used up and he will have to carry the team by throwing the ball. Seadderall is going to crash hard when that happens.
Exactly. Just because their first contracts were bargains, doesn't mean their second contracts will be. The Rams don't have the luxury of reversing the broken system the NFL had in place when they drafted their Franchise QB.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The QBs themselves are nothing special but what their low salaries enable the teams to spend on other positions is huge. I think that is the main gist of the article.

Right.
That I get.
But otherwise, they're nothing special.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cam Newton QB CAR 5 Hrs
The Charlotte Observer believes Panthers GM Dave Gettleman's first order of business this offseason will be to extend Cam Newton's contract.
Newton is entering the final year of his rookie deal and is coming off his best all-around season. When asked Tuesday, Gettleman declared Newton as the Panthers' franchise quarterback by saying, "Yes, no seven-second pause. Yes, he is. He proved it this year. He flat proved it." Beat writer Joe Person thinks the five-year, $76 million extension Matthew Stafford signed with the Lions this past year will be a starting point in negotiations from Newton's camp.

and so it begins.

isn't this gonzo's third year? must be since he came out the same time as newton. his agent will be asking for a huge upgrade from the whiners.

then after next season little russel wilson will demand the same form the seagulls.

let's see how they handle those upgrades and how it affects their teams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Neither of those guys are going to get anywhere near 100 million, and what they do get won't have a majority of the dollars guaranteed.

If anyone wants to wager some ROD$ lemme know.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Neither of those guys are going to get anywhere near 100 million, and what they do get won't have a majority of the dollars guaranteed.

If anyone wants to wager some ROD$ lemme know.
Oh yes they will. If Seattle can pony up $64M (decidedly less guaranteed) for Percy Harvin, they'll give up $100M for Wilson.

I'll bet you anything.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't like it but I think those two QB's are a little better than nothing special. Just sayin...

The 49ers and Seahawks will come back down to earth though when contract time comes around. It's not as easy to dominate when you take 10-15 million out of the rest of your teams budget. See how good they are in 2-3 years when they start having to make tough decisions on who gets paid and who leaves the team.

Not only that but lets see what kind of HC Harbough is when he has to actually build or maintain a team instead of just taking over a premade one already on the verge of contending.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
As QB's go they are nothing special -- they're on minimum wage and will expect a massive upgrade -- which will be an overpayment and they will lose out in key areas on their rosters which will see them slide.

-- and then the Seahawks will fire Pete Carroll because he is a massive douche and the Seahawks will relocate to Alaska because it has a better climate.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh yes they will. If Seattle can pony up $64M (decidedly less guaranteed) for Percy Harvin, they'll give up $100M for Wilson.

I'll bet you anything.

It's on like Donkey Kong then!

I'll bet it'll be in the 60-70 mil range.

If they are going to spend 100 mil they can get almost none they want, why pay Wilson that kind of money? It's foolish.

Harvin has little guaranteed money whereas QB contract almost always have big bonuses and guarantees.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's on like Donkey Kong then!

I'll bet it'll be in the 60-70 mil range.

If they are going to spend 100 mil they can get almost none they want, why pay Wilson that kind of money? It's foolish.

Harvin has little guaranteed money whereas QB contract almost always have big bonuses and guarantees.
Because that's the market value for QBs now. Peyton ($96M), Eli ($97M), Brees ($100M), Flacco ($120M), Rodgers ($130M) hell even Bradford made 78M 4 years ago. It's not about what's fair. It's about what the market dictates. At some point it'll top off, but it is what it is now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Because that's the market value for QBs now. Peyton ($96M), Eli ($97M), Brees ($100M), Flacco ($120M), Rodgers ($130M) hell even Bradford made 78M 4 years ago. It's not about what's fair. It's about what the market dictates. At some point it'll top off, but it is what it is now.

For QBs like the ones you name those are numbers. Wilson isn't that kind of QB though.

You can decide how much you wanna lose as the time draws nigh.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For QBs like the ones you name those are numbers. Wilson isn't that kind of QB though.

You can decide how much you wanna lose as the time draws nigh.
It's not about elite ability. It's about supply and demand. If they get to and win (bleh) a Super Bowl, he'll make every bit as much as Flacco.
Start saving your money, because I'm taking all of it.