QB Chris Bonner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
KEEP AN EYE ON: COLORADO STATE-PUEBLO QB CHRIS BONNER

Conventional wisdom has Henderson State QB Kevin Rodgers as the Harlon Hill Award favorite, and consensus top QB in Division II football. Not so fast, I say.

Consider former JUCO transfer Chris Bonner of Colorado State-Pueblo. Bonner is a big, 6’7 230 pound passer with a strong arm, as you’d expect from a man of his size. Bonner has surprising mobility for his size, and a year ago burst onto the scene with 3,413 yards and 33 touchdowns, to go along with only 9 interceptions. Now, heading into his senior year, the RMAC Offensive Player of the Year is looking forward to an encore performance, which includes taking home the Harlon Hill Award, and becoming a draftable NFL QB prospect. Bringing to mind Ryan Mallett (If Ryan Mallett could get out of his own way), there is little doubt Bonner has the tools to make it. Bonner was recently named an early FCS National Bowl nominee, along with his teammate, WR Paul Browning. Keep an eye out for Chris Bonner.

-Shaun DePasquale

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/keep-eye-colorado-state-pueblo-qb-chris-bonner/

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, at the very minimum nobody will be able to post he's too short, that's for sure!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People have been mentioning but I doubt I'll be able to find any film on him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My sleeper QB is, Kevin Hogan. He needs a little work on footwork, and I'd love to see a quicker release, but I like his size, arm, and skill set. He needs work, but he's a smart guy, has all the tools, has played big time football, and I'm starting to get a better feeling about him, as I watch other QB's. Not a ringing endorsement, but this is a weak class, and I like the way he goes through his progressions, and if you take a project, take one that you know is smart, has all the tools: size; legs; and big arm.

Depending on his offseason work on his fundamentals, mechanics, and opportunities in the NCAA post season, I see him as a late 2nd, to mid 4th rounder.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Looks like Brock Osweiler. Not sure that's a good thing.

I'd like to see the Rams steal David Fales away from Chicago, since they have a new regime coming in.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Looks like Brock Osweiler. Not sure that's a good thing.

I'd like to see the Rams steal David Fales away from Chicago, since they have a new regime coming in.
Bonner or Hogan?

Or, do you have a boner for Hogan, or a Hogan for Bonner?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
People have been mentioning but I doubt I'll be able to find any film on him.

https://tape.preps.com/h/co/pueblo/...typueblo/chris-bonner/sophmore-2012/18748387/

https://tape.preps.com/h/co/pueblo/...ueblo/chris-bonner/2013-highlights/124796376/

In his 2012 highlight there is a WR #8 who also looks pretty impressive as well as #81 in the 2013 highlights, could be the same player not sure, but looks like a real big strong kid who can snag the ball out of the air.

Pretty good tapes although at times I cant see the ball so its hard to see the trajectory on some of his balls. He also looks like he could widen his base more when he sets but maybe he is too tall to do that because he will start stepping on linemen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://tape.preps.com/h/co/pueblo/...typueblo/chris-bonner/sophmore-2012/18748387/

https://tape.preps.com/h/co/pueblo/...ueblo/chris-bonner/2013-highlights/124796376/

In his 2012 highlight there is a WR #8 who also looks pretty impressive as well as #81 in the 2013 highlights, could be the same player not sure, but looks like a real big strong kid who can snag the ball out of the air.

Pretty good tapes although at times I cant see the ball so its hard to see the trajectory on some of his balls. He also looks like he could widen his base more when he sets but maybe he is too tall to do that because he will start stepping on linemen.

I appreciate it but I more meant full games...highlights don't show what you need to see.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@OptimumScouting: Heard from someone at the Medal of Honor practices that CSU-Pueblo QB Chris Bonner looked good so far. Ideal size, great arm. One to watch.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Watching Bonners highlights I saw a lot of floated passes. I didn't see much acceleration and his mechanics were so sound. Especially when moving around in the pocket he through off of his back foot a lot. Many of the throws were to wide open Wide receivers and they had to wait for the ball longer than I would like.

Positives? He sees the field well, has good pocket awareness, avoids the rush, can run if needed, extends plays with his feet. There might be enough to work with there but it is tough to teach the arm strength.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My sleeper QB is, Kevin Hogan. He needs a little work on footwork, and I'd love to see a quicker release, but I like his size, arm, and skill set. He needs work, but he's a smart guy, has all the tools, has played big time football, and I'm starting to get a better feeling about him, as I watch other QB's. Not a ringing endorsement, but this is a weak class, and I like the way he goes through his progressions, and if you take a project, take one that you know is smart, has all the tools: size; legs; and big arm.

Depending on his offseason work on his fundamentals, mechanics, and opportunities in the NCAA post season, I see him as a late 2nd, to mid 4th rounder.

Now I could see Fisher going for a guy like Hogan. He is a Stanford guy so he is probably smart. (I know not all Stanford football players are smart, Richard Sherman for example, but the QB probably is) Fisher could teach him to protect the ball at all costs. That is what Fisher loves about Sam. He doesn't make many mistakes. If Sam had better wheels and pocket presence maybe he never gets that first ACL and is an all pro. But he runs awkwardly.

Hogan does have a long delivery which is not so desirable. Didn't his gym teacher ever tell him to stick it in his ear?