Q&A with Bengals QB Andy Dalton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/31/nfl-andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-the-friday-interview/

dalton-storyimage-960.jpg

Simon Bruty/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

‘I Am Going to be Here for a Long Time’
Andy Dalton on his contract extention, the art of the quarterback sneak, searching for his first playoff win (and second and third), and the biggest difference now that Hue Jackson is the Bengals’ offensive coordinator
By Jenny Vrentas

CINCINNATI — It’s getting cold in The Queen City, but the Bengals turned up the heat last weekend with a 27-24 victory over the Ravens to take sole possession of first place in the AFC North. After the team’s Thursday morning walk-through practice, The MMQB caught up with quarterback Andy Dalton, who last Sunday capped an 80-yard drive with a 1-yard touchdown run to top the division rival. The fourth-year pro, who was awarded with a $115 million contract extension this offseason, has been the face of the franchise’s highs and lows the past few seasons. As he donned a white Bengals baseball cap, he made clear that he’s keeping his focus looking forward.

VRENTAS: What’s the secret to a successful quarterback sneak? You seem to have it down.

DALTON: Do whatever you can to keep your legs moving. That’s just what it comes down to. It’s really more the guys up front than me. Whenever we call it, we have been successful. The way the Ravens lined up [on the game-winning touchdown], I thought it was going to be a good look. After getting the snap, I had the initial surge, and then everybody came in and gave me a good push at the end. Got in. But as soon as we lined up, I thought it was going to work.

VRENTAS: We’re now three years removed from the 2011 draft. You and Colin Kaepernick were taken with picks 35 and 36 and have been to the playoffs. Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder were taken eight, 10, 12 that year. Ever wonder why they haven’t had the same success?

DALTON: It’s all about coming into a good situation. Colin and I both came to good places that kind of fit us well. You always kind of wonder, What would it have been like if things would have been different in that first round? If either Colin or I had gone there, what would have happened? But I wasn’t too worried about it. You always hear, “You want to get drafted as high as you can.” But it’s not how high you get drafted, it’s about going to the right place, and that’s definitely what happened for me.

VRENTAS: What did scouts miss about TCU quarterback Andy Dalton?

DALTON: When you get into the draft, height is one thing. And you see some of these bigger conference guys tend to go earlier. It’s just part of it. Obviously I felt like I could play with anybody, any of those guys.

VRENTAS: How was this offseason for you after losing to San Diego in the playoffs?
DALTON:
You had an opportunity, and you didn’t take advantage of it, so it was tough. But you have to move past it. The best thing that we can do is get back to the playoffs and win a playoff game, so we can put all that other stuff behind us, those three losses before. That’s the goal of this team: get back to the playoffs and be playing our best once we are there. And it’s not just about one playoff win. That’s the one thing everybody talks about, “Yeah, they haven’t won in the playoffs.” But if you win one game and lose the next, you are sitting at home just like you are if you lose the first one. The goal is to really make a run at it.

VRENTAS: Do you think it’s fair that many people judge you more for the three playoff losses rather than all of the regular season wins?

DALTON: That’s the one thing I haven’t done yet, is to win in the playoffs, so they have the right to say it. But there are a lot of really good quarterbacks in this league that didn’t start off winning a bunch of playoff games. You even look at Peyton [Manning], he’s a guy who didn’t win his first three playoff games. You go back and look at guys, and you see what they did, and I feel like I am right there with everybody. I still feel like I have had a lot of success here.

VRENTAS: What’s the biggest difference between playing for Hue Jackson, your new offensive coordinator, versus Jay Gruden, your old one?

DALTON: Their styles. They way they are. Hue is more aggressive, in your face. He lets his point be known, whereas Jay is more laidback. That’s the biggest difference. With Hue and I, as soon as he got the job, we have had a good relationship. There’s a lot of give and take there, a lot of asking what I like. His big thing is about doing everything quick, whether it is the speed of your drop, the way you run routes, whatever it might be. The way his offense is, and the way you practice, it’s about the drop, getting back quickly, and seeing the field as quickly as you can. He has definitely pushed me to be a better player.

VRENTAS: Has Hue’s in-your-face approach rubbed off on you at all?

DALTON: There are times when I speak up a little bit more. I am still me, but in certain situations that go on in games, whether it be an important drive that we’ve got to have, or if things aren’t going the way we don’t want them to, I’ll say something. At that point late in the Ravens game, I was just telling everybody, I have confidence that we are going to go down there and score. And it worked.

VRENTAS: Has your confidence changed since the organization invested in you, literally, this offseason?

DALTON: Since I have been here, I feel like everyone has had confidence in me. Signing the contract was just letting everybody else know the organization has confidence in me. I’m still the starting quarterback. I’m still the guy that is leading this team. Now I just know I am going to be here for a long time.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nts-as-browns-earn-24-3-victory-over-bengals/

Dalton throws three INTs as Browns earn 24-3 victory over Bengals
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on November 6, 2014

andy-dalton.jpg
AP

The Cleveland Browns took advantage of a horrendous performance by Cincinnati Bengals starter Andy Dalton Thursday night. The Browns intercepted Dalton three times and held Dalton to just 86 yards passing as the Browns earned their first road victory, 24-3, over a divisional opponent since 2008.

Dalton’s 2.0 passer rating was the lowest by any starter this season, surpassing the 22.2 rating posted by Josh McCown in Tampa Bay’s 56-14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 18. In addition, Dalton’s rating is the worst by any starting quarterback since Jeff Garcia posted a 0.0 rating as a starter for Cleveland against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 19, 2004, per STATS Inc.

Garcia went 8 of 27 for 71 yards and three interceptions. Thursday night against Cleveland, Dalton was 10 of 33 for 86 yards and three interceptions.

Isaiah Crowell, Terrance West and Ben Taint each scored touchdowns and Buster Skrinetwice intercepted Dalton as the Browns as they moved into a tie for first place in the AFC North. It’s also the first time they’ve won at least six games in a season since 2007.

Brian Hoyer fared much better in the blustery conditions in Cincinnati. Hoyer completed 15 of 23 passes for 198 yards for the Browns.

Cleveland had not won a road game against a divisional opponent since a 20-12 victory over the Bengals on Sept. 28, 2008. They snapped an 0-17 skid against the NFC North in road contests since that victory led by Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Braylon Edwards.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Freakin' Browns, eh?
I'm kinda happy for their fans.
I have no idea how they're going to handle the success.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Freakin' Browns, eh?
I'm kinda happy for their fans.
I have no idea how they're going to handle the success.

Yeah, they're 5-3. I think I'll mosey on over to the Bengals forums tomorrow and read how fans want to bench Andy Dalton. :snicker:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, they're 5-3. I think I'll mosey on over to the Bengals forums tomorrow and read how fans want to bench Andy Dalton. :snicker:

6-3 ;)

But we might be 6-3 if we had their schedule. :LOL:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
6-3 ;)

But we might be 6-3 if we had their schedule. :LOL:

6-3 really? Wow. The Cardinals and the Browns are a combined 13-4. Who woulda thunk it? That's what makes the NFL so exciting each season. You just never know who's going to rise to the top or sink to the bottom.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/07/cleveland-browns-cincinnati-bengals-thursday-night-nfl/

browns-story.jpg

Andy Lyons/Getty Images

‘This is Not a Fluke’
The Browns are 6-3 for the first time since being reborn in 1999. After Thursday night’s thrashing of the Bengals, it might be time to consider that Cleveland is for real. Plus, the Week 10 player in the spotlight and 10 things to watch for Sunday
By Peter King

Browns 24, Bengals 3, and it wasn’t that close. And even though this stunning Thursday-nighter in Cincinnati solved nothing in the AFC North, it felt like a seminal game for Mike Pettine’s Browns (good) and Marvin Lewis’s Bengals (very, very bad).

Stat of the Week: Since the Browns were reborn in 1999, they’ve never been 6-3 or better after nine games—until now.

“Dang!” said cornerback Joe Haden, straining to be heard above the din of the Cleveland locker room Thursday night. “That is very impressive. Very impressive.”

But there’s still this feeling about the Browns, despite what the eyes saw Thursday night in utterly dominating a flailing quarterback and a beat-up defense, that it’s all going to gopoof at some point soon, the way the 2008 Browns went all fluky after the 2007 Browns went 10-6 and set up all sorts of false promises.

Haden lit into that premise.

“This is not a fluke,” he said. “Absolutely not a fluke. It’s not a surprise. I know everybody out there is saying, ‘Surprising Browns. Surprising Browns. Surprising Browns.’ Go ahead and think that; we don’t care. We’re not shying away from anyone. This Cleveland Browns team is different. We grind and we work and we believe.’’

On the other side, the Bengals got another slap in the face of Andy Dalton playing very small. Dalton, justifiably, is under pressure after three straight lousy playoff performances—all Bengals losses—in his first three seasons. So when the prime-time or big-game lights go on, we look to Dalton to see how he’ll perform, because the big games are the ones that matter for this team. Marvin Lewis is in his 12th year as coach, and Dalton is in his fourth year as starting quarterback. Though each has had some regular-season success, neither has won in the postseason. And it’s getting old.

dalton.jpg

Andy Dalton was sacked twice by the Browns defense Thursday. (John Grieshop/Getty Images)

This year, on their résumé, the Bengals have a Week 5 Sunday night 43-17 loss to New England, a Week 7 27-0 loss to Indianapolis, and a Week 10 Thursday night 24-3 loss to Cleveland at home. Three big games. Three putrid performances by the team and the quarterback, by a combined 94-20.

“It does confound me,” said coach Marvin Lewis of his team’s inability to play well when the lights are brightest.

“I am concerned about the turnovers. Tonight he had a bad day,” Lewis said of Dalton.

To put it mildly. Dalton has been a 45 percent passer with two scoring drives in the three games against New England, Indianapolis and Cleveland. Two touchdowns in three games. That’s beyond worrisome. No: Beyond worrisome was his 2.0 passer rating Thursday night. Dalton threw three interceptions, and two more were dropped.

Forget the misleading contract (six years, $96 million, but only $17 million in rock-solid guarantees), which the Bengals can escape with minimal financial pain, and focus on the play. Dalton had his weapons, A.J. Green and Mohammed Sanu, and a good young runner, Jeremy Hill, on the field Thursday night. He was wild high early, and just plain wild late. There is no way Cincinnati fans, and the Cincinnati front office and staff, can exit this game with the same blind confidence they’ve shown in Dalton after the three early playoff exits. This wasn’t quite a referendum game, but close to one … and Dalton lost the way McGovern lost to Nixon in 1972.

The upshot: Cincinnati has now left the division in the hands of 6-3 Cleveland and Pittsburgh—and the Steelers should be a half-game ahead after visiting the Jets on Sunday in New Jersey.

Speaking of this weekend …

Let’s assume (always dangerous in this ridiculous league) a Pittsburgh win over the 1-8 Jets and a Baltimore victory over the 2-6 Titans this weekend. With those results, here would be the AFC North standings Sunday night:

Team.........Overall.....Division.....Conference
Pittsburgh...7-3............2-2..............6-2
Cleveland...6-3............2-2..............4-3
Cincinnati...5-3-1.........2-1..............4-3
Baltimore...6-4............2-3..............3-4

Has there ever been a division in NFL history, after 10 weeks of a season, with every team two games over .500 or better?

Cleveland needed this game, because those fluke questions were quite real. In the previous three weeks, the Browns faced then-0-6 Jacksonville, then-0-6 Oakland, and then-1-6 Tampa Bay. The Browns won two of three. Combined score: Jags/Raiders/Bucs 54, Browns 51. A juggernaut the Browns ain’t.

But look at whom the Browns are missing now. Pro Bowl center Alex Mack is gone for the year with a broken ankle. Ace tight end Jordan Cameron and starting wideout Andrew Hawkins are hurt, and all-world receiver Josh Gordon returns from substance-abuse suspension in two weeks. That’s four huge pieces, missing. And Thursday night, the Browns went on the road, in division, and won by three touchdowns.

hoyer.jpg

Brian Hoyer is now 9-3 as the Browns’ starting quarterback, dating to the end of the 2013 season. (John Grieshop/Getty Images)

It helped that Cleveland got a superb performance from a defense allowing 15.4 points per games over the last five games. The Browns batted away 10 passes, a huge number, against Dalton. And defensive tackle Desmond Bryant, the interior rusher from Harvard who got away from Reggie McKenzie in Oakland after the 2012 season, led a Cleveland defensive surge with sacks of Dalton on consecutive plays.

Cleveland will need this defense to play similarly over the final seven weeks. “I think what frustrated them tonight was all the different looks we gave them,’’ Haden said. “We threw their timing off. We saw them getting frustrated. We know in the past we have given teams life, let them back in the game. Not tonight. [Coach Mike Pettine] wanted us to stop the run and eliminate the deep balls, and I think for the most part we did that.’’

Now the scheduling gods like the Browns. Houston (4-5) and first-time starting quarterback Ryan Mallett come to Cleveland next week, and the Browns play at 2-6 Atlanta the week after that. Cleveland can’t afford to think any team, regardless of record, is a walkover, as the three games before Thursday night illustrated. But Clevelanders are dreaming of a playoff Christmas, and the schedule is hardly forbidding.

Brian Hoyer will have to make more plays than he has up to this point. He’s been a game manager, a very good one, in Cleveland’s recent 5-1 run. But I give him tremendous credit, winning with a cast diminished by the loss of his three top pass-catchers. Winning five of six against any NFL competition is a good accomplishment, and doing so with three of your top four targets being Travis Benjamin, Taylor Gabriel and Gary Barnidge Thursday night … that’s a credit to Hoyer.

The Browns in the playoffs. It’s still an outlier, with so many strong teams remaining in contention. But imagine this: Pittsburgh wins the division and earns the third or fourth seed in the AFC playoffs, and Cleveland pries a wild-card spot out of the AFC, and travels down the Ohio Turnpike the first weekend of January—to Pittsburgh. Sign me up for that one, boss.

Now, about Dalton coming up very small in the very big games. Three playoff games is the beginning of a trend. New England on Sunday night and Cleveland on a Thursday night, with the division lead on the line, is a continuation of said trend. The blame falls on a decent man who may not be anything more than that as a quarterback.

“I deserve it,” said Dalton. “I’ve got to play better.”

Question is: Can he? The fate of a promising franchise depends on it.

Athos

Legend
lol. I never thought Dalton was all that good. Playoff choke-artist. Turnover machine. It's all the weapons Dalton has (Green, Gio, Hill, Sanu, etc) that have made him look good.

That has to be one of the worst QB-ed games I've ever watched in the modern age of football. (I'm talking from GSOT Days onwards).

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
lol. I never thought Dalton was all that good. Playoff choke-artist. Turnover machine. It's all the weapons Dalton has (Green, Gio, Hill, Sanu, etc) that have made him look good.

That has to be one of the worst QB-ed games I've ever watched in the modern age of football. (I'm talking from GSOT Days onwards).
Don't forget Marvin Jones. But most of his weapons are out. Gresham is also pretty good.

Memphis Ram

Legend
6-3 really? Wow. The Cardinals and the Browns are a combined 13-4. Who woulda thunk it? That's what makes the NFL so exciting each season. You just never know who's going to rise to the top or sink to the bottom.

The Browns are 6-3 without a #1 WR? How is that possible?

…..

Legend
You heard it here on ROD first folks.....Mohamed Sanu considered a weapon lol

…..

Legend
I think it is a fair assessment of the current events sir.

My pun was more aimed at how he quietly snuck into the tier group. ;)

…..

Legend
Oh right I misread, carry on.

LOL...cant expect you to be inside my head...i wasnt real clear.

Anyway....I have been waiting for Sanu to slink back into mediocrity, but he's done the opposite. With AJ Green back in the lineup I'd expect Sanu to draw the lesser CB and continue to be effective.

Athos

Legend
Sanu was an intriguing WR coming out of Rutgers. Had some great moves. The dude tore up the BrownBags D-Back like 3 different times with crazy good double moves to work himself open for Dalton. I wish we had WRs that worked that hard getting open that often.

Don't know why you think he's mediocre or was. This is his 3rd year in the league and you can clearly see he's adapting to the NFL now.

So yea, I'd consider him a weapon. So is Tavon, despite his mediocre production so far.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The Browns are 6-3 without a #1 WR? How is that possible?
Blue font or not, the whole "You have to have a #1 WR" thing was a straw man argument back then. Now it's an irrelevant one.

It's okay to stop fighting the 2014 draft battle now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Blue font or not, the whole "You have to have a #1 WR" thing was a straw man argument back then. Now it's an irrelevant one.

It's okay to stop fighting the 2014 draft battle now.

Sorry, but it wasn't a straw man argument. And it's one that has been made by some long before the 2014 draft. But, sorry if I may have struck a nerve with you.