Puzzled about new OC responsibilities...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I posted this on another board, but would welcome any and all feedback on this topic from this board, as well.

Apparently, I'm missing something here. Help a brother out?

Am I the only one shaking my head here? 'Cause I haven't seen anybody post a question about it. Not here or anywhere else, either.

As I understand it, Cig will be responsible for designing passing O. And maybe continue as QB coach at the same time. (If we draft a QB, is THAT a wise move, btw?)

I also understand that Boras will now be designing the running plays. And possibly continuing as the TE coach.

Isn't that assigning 4 jobs to 2 guys? Do I have that right?

But here's my bigger concern. Won't that shared responsibility inevitably lead to an eventual conflict of interest between Cig and Boras? Human nature is human nature. A clash of type A personalities seems unavoidable to me.

I believe there can only be one Head Chef in a gourmet 5 star restaurant. Only one Senior Partner in a company. Only one HC for a football team.

And only one OC to be responsible for ALL aspects of his O.

Given Fisher's historic lack of expertise regarding O matters, is this not creating an atmosphere for future unwelcome turmoil? A drastic redesigning of the historic O chain of command?

I don't see it as fair to either Cig OR Boras, frankly.

Maybe someone can explain this to me?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
While Boras is designing running plays, he will not call plays on gameday. That duty belongs to Cig.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
You raise very good points. You are right, someone will have to coordinate the coordinators. My concern is that I think Fish needs good coordinators to be successful. You could say that about anyone I suppose but in his case he seems to be more of a delegator especially on offense than others. We would probably feel a lot better if we had one strong leader that had a winning record but the well seems to be rather dry. I don't mind an internal promotion. And, I like the idea of giving a younger guy a shot. I guess we can only hope for the best at this point. You have to start somewhere.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's common and not a big deal. Hanifan drew up the running plays and schemed them against each opponent for Martz in '99. Cigs will be the one who calls the plays and schemes the passing game.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Remember that Boras has experience as OL coach and with his TE experience should have a very good feel for the running game. Plus, Cigs has gone on record saying how important balance is.

Fish might have hit on a very nice balance IF those two coaches are up to the task. Let's wait and see how things look man, before we panic. We are, after all, replacing a bottom feeder OC so it's not like there's too far for this offense to fall. And even better, with Mason going into year two and the pass catching talent in that offensive backfield we might see a lot of good things.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty much what HitStick said. Cig will have the play calling duties. Apparently when Martz was our OC, Hanny coached the running plays with Martz designing the pass plays and calling the offense. I think there is still a pretty clear chain of command - just a delegation of duties to hopefully allow for greater concentration. I don't know if Cig is still going to handle QB coaching nor do I know if Boras will remain as TE coach or if they are bringing in others to help in those areas.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dallas Cowboys did this in 2014. Linehan Passing and Bill Callahan running although that will now change with Callahan in the Nation's Capital.

A55VA6

Legend
Pretty much what HitStick said. Cig will have the play calling duties. Apparently when Martz was our OC, Hanny coached the running plays with Martz designing the pass plays and calling the offense. I think there is still a pretty clear chain of command - just a delegation of duties to hopefully allow for greater concentration. I don't know if Cig is still going to handle QB coaching nor do I know if Boras will remain as TE coach or if they are bringing in others to help in those areas.
Yeah, I heard Randy say this on The Fast Lane yesterday. Seems to be a pretty common thing.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Two heads are better than one. Game planning is a process that requires a team effort from coaching staffs in today's game.

Egos need to check themselves at the door.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I'm a little confused.

I remember reading before the announcement that this might be the case (Cignetti passing/Boras running) but I do not see anywhere in these more official reports that is the case.

Maybe someone can post a link (official) that shows that?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I wouldn't worry too much. Sure Kid Shannahan, Greg Roman, Gase- I guess were worth mentioning/discussing that we'd get a visit then nothing . I'm no expert on this but we keep revolving around a common theme.. continuity. I'll take that with blinded eyes over those above coordinators or others not.

One can compare Cignetti/Boras to Todd Haley/Bruce Arians w/PIT and Harold Goodwin/Tom Moore-AZ from a comparative standpoint. Just a guess related to their titles and responsibilities.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Two heads are better than one. Game planning is a process that requires a team effort from coaching staffs in today's game.

Egos need to check themselves at the door.
I think we actually see this a lot these days. With all the special offensive assistants and assistant HCs, etc. I don't think there is as much a concentration on specific titles as there is on trying to get coaches covering their strengths.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all whom responded.

I had no idea that this concept was so common in the NFL.

I was hardly panicking, but I was concerned. My reference point was from my experience in the business world. Don't think it would work well there, but apparently it's not all that uncommon in the NFL.

Thanks to all, again.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I guess I'm a little confused.

I remember reading before the announcement that this might be the case (Cignetti passing/Boras running) but I do not see anywhere in these more official reports that is the case.

Maybe someone can post a link (official) that shows that?

Only one I know of is the audio I posted in Cignetti thread. The Fast Lane reported that, but didn't give their sources. I haven't been on the P-D today.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wouldn't it make more sense to have Boudreau design the run game?
It is his oline assignments.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Wouldn't it make more sense to have Boudreau design the run game?
It is his oline assignments.

I thought so too man.. That's the way it usually works. Apparently they're giving him time to put into the OL and he's working with Boras ? Kind of confusing from a conventional standpoint.