Putting Finnegan's Rams future in focus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...tland-finnegans-st-louis-rams-future-in-focus

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan chose to play three game with a fractured orbital bone behind his left eye and blurred peripheral vision.
For a player who has made a career based on toughness, Finnegan simply couldn't help himself.
"I’m stubborn," Finnegan said. "I wanted to stick it out and show these guys I’m tough about it."
The Rams placed Finnegan on injured reserve in a move that might have flown under the radar as it was made Saturday afternoon. The move came after much consternation from all parties and the attempts by Finnegan to play through an injury he first suffered on Sept. 26 against San Francisco. Finnegan left that game with an apparent hamstring injury that would cost him the next three games but would later find out he suffered the more serious eye injury.
Finnegan got the initial diagnosis of the eye injury but was given the option to continue playing despite the blurry and sometimes double vision. When the bye week finally rolled around on Nov. 17, Finnegan went for further examination and he was advised not to continue playing through it.
"Cort played through it and he wanted to be a part of this but this injury became prohibitive for him," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He has a chance for a full recovery."

With his season over, Finnegan will now turn his attention to having surgery to repair the eye. He indicated there are a handful of dates in December he will consider in hopes of getting it done sooner than later. The way Finnegan and Fisher describe the operation, it seems there will be no issues for Finnegan in terms of making a complete recovery.
"I wanted to wait as long as I could before it got too much worse," Finnegan said. "I waited until the bye week and realized my orbital fracture and muscle entrapment wasn’t a good thing so I needed to go handle it. So I’m handling it."
Finnegan's absence leaves the Rams a bit short at corner, a development that nearly cost them against Chicago on Sunday when his replacement, Trumaine Johnson, left with a concussion and didn't return. The Rams moved Quinton Pointer from the practice squad to the active roster but as it stands Wednesday afternoon, Janoris Jenkins, rookie Brandon McGee and Pointer are the only known healthy commodities the Rams have at the position. Safety Rodney McLeod also can play the slot position and has done quite a bit of it this season.
Adding to Finnegan's frustration is the inability to right the ship after some serious struggles at the beginning of the season. Finnegan expressed his disappointment in his early-season play and had appeared to be making at least modest strides in what turned out to be his final two games of the year.
Against Tennessee and Indianapolis, Finnegan played through the eye injury and posted 13 tackles and an interception while playing 115 snaps. For the season, he finished with 27 tackles and an interception in seven games, meaning about half of his production had come in those final two contests.
In the bigger picture, the Rams will now likely head into the offseason with a decision to make on Finnegan's future. The above numbers, combined with an OK first season in St. Louis, would likely indicate that Finnegan's $10 million salary-cap number for 2014 would be more than the Rams would want to pay. Finnegan is due $6 million in base salary, $3 million in roster bonus and $1 million in signing bonus (from the $5 million signing bonus spread out over his contract) next year.
If the Rams chose to release Finnegan outright, they'd only be on the hook for the remainder of the signing bonus in terms of accelerated cap space, so they'd realize a net savings of $7 million next year so long as any move was made before the roster bonus is due.
Still, Finnegan is an important cog in terms of leadership and one of Fisher's "guys" in terms of what he brings to the table. The Rams may well be inclined to keep him but do it under a restructured contract.
The Rams have spent the second-most amount of money on the cornerback position in the NFL at almost $17.5 million, second only to Tampa Bay this season. In addition, the Rams are 22nd in the league in passing yards per game allowed (247) and 30th in completion percentage allowed (67.1 percent) and yards per passing attempt allowed (8.24).
All of those numbers are due in some part to Finnegan. Add the eye injury to the mix and it makes it more likely than not that something will have to give heading into 2014.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As much as I like what Finnegan could be again; I wouldn't take that gamble if it were my money.

Reinvest the cap savings elsewhere.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
If it were the hammy that was the biggest issue I'd be more inclined to say wait and see. Getting his eye fixed probably won't be give him back the steps he's lost. For all our plausible scenarios for cutting him it certainly doesn't seem like Fish is done with him yet.

F. Mulder

Starter
If it were the hammy that was the biggest issue I'd be more inclined to say wait and see. Getting his eye fixed probably won't be give him back the steps he's lost. For all our plausible scenarios for cutting him it certainly doesn't seem like Fish is done with him yet.
I really liked him early in the year last year but thought he fell off as the year went on. Obviously even prior to his injuries his play had fallen to below average levels. That, combined with his contract make him a pure cut IMO. If he wants to coach or something then I'd love to have him but I'd rather use the savings to tie up quality existing players and/or have someone up-and-coming develop.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Finny will be a good test for Fish.

He has to let him go. Will be interesting to see how Fisher handles it.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I really liked him early in the year last year but thought he fell off as the year went on. Obviously even prior to his injuries his play had fallen to below average levels. That, combined with his contract make him a pure cut IMO. If he wants to coach or something then I'd love to have him but I'd rather use the savings to tie up quality existing players and/or have someone up-and-coming develop.
I agree with you. I think he's too young to think about hanging up his cleats, so the old slash and dash may be our only option. I'm just not sure our front office is as committed to moving on as we are:sad:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Finny will be a good test for Fish.

He has to let him go. Will be interesting to see how Fisher handles it.
Interesting indeed. One thing think we can all agree on is Fish is gonna do what Fish is gonna do.
I for one was pissed as hell when he started this whole run first bs....I thought there was no way we could compete in today's nfl with an archaic offensive approach like that.
Now I go to meetings where I have to stand and say..."my name is Ky Ram, and I eat crow for doubting Fish & Co. :roflmao:

V3

Hall of Fame
I really don't want Finnegan back even if he restructures. He just isn't what he used to be. He's lost a step. Just look at what some of the FA CB's got last year. It's nothing compared to Finnegan's contract and they're much better than he is at this point in his career. It's time to move on. That being said, I seriously doubt Fisher lets him go.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess I'm on an island here. I want Cort back but I think he needs to sit down and actually rehab. If he does that, I think he comes back with an edge and some vengeance in mind. If he's back up to speed, he is great at getting into players' heads while being a pain in the ass with his play.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
People say fixing his eye won't give him his step back? Y'all ever tried to run with blurry/double vision? I'm sure it slows ya down pretty good

V3

Hall of Fame
People say fixing his eye won't give him his step back? Y'all ever tried to run with blurry/double vision? I'm sure it slows ya down pretty good

I actually have. I didn't notice any difference in my running. Your brain adapts and starts relying more heavily on your good eye.

There might be an issue with him trying to quickly spot a ball in the air but that really hasn't been the issue with him. He's been beat most of the time so he's not even close enough to be concerned about trying to spot the ball.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He'll be a depth guy if he comes back. Although like the article says is a Jeff Fisher guy, so I bet they work w/ him to come back.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Again, the cap numbers don't matter.
The way his play tailed off last season and how Justin King-ish bad his play was this year even before the eye, I don't think we can having a winning team with him playing significant snaps.

I like what he brings to the team with his attitude, great guy. If they want to bring him back at the vet minimum with incentives thats fine, just make him earn his way on the team.
I'd rather draft a starter quality CB, not a developmental guy. Or reinvest the cap savings in a ready to roll young vet. that can start from day one.

Passing league, Nickle corner has to be a starter and the 4th CB has to be able to step in and start just incase a team wants to win the super bowl.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've said in another thread; Fisher might adore this guy, but it's Kroenke's money.

In today's NFL, Finnegan gets cut on every team. I don't see Fisher writing a check and asking Stan to sign it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I guess I'm on an island here. I want Cort back but I think he needs to sit down and actually rehab. If he does that, I think he comes back with an edge and some vengeance in mind. If he's back up to speed, he is great at getting into players' heads while being a pain in the ass with his play.

You aren't the only one on that island. I am of the belief that Finnegan has not been completely healthy since midseason of LAST YEAR.

Given his history with Fisher, and his competitive nature, I for one, think he comes back next year with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He is NOT old for the position, and IF he can get healthy, there I no reason to think he cannot regain his form.

If not, I will be the first guy to say, its time to move on.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Finnegan was ranked the 86th best CB in 2012. He was payed 5 million. This year he was ranked dead last. He has a base salary of 9 million and a bonus of 5 million.

He will be 5 months shy of 31 years old when the 2014 season begins. He'll be payed another 6 million and another 3 million roster bonus.

Basically the Rams have payed top dollar and in return got one of the worst performing CB's of the last 2 years.

IMO the Rams need to stop the bleeding and move on.