Pursuit of Perfection

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
As we suffered through all the losing seasons in the 90’s then basked in the GSOT, and are now in the second year of the McVay era after all the 7/9 BS, the joy we feel today is even more gratifying. To have such a talented and well coached team is a dream come true for us die-hards. Because of this, it’s difficult for me to just enjoy it without a critical eye that still has genuine concerns. In no particular order, here are mine.

Our edge rushers are not difference makers. They get home when they are schemed as free runners. This is my greatest concern and yet it’s not the only one.

This defense has been vulnerable to good tight end play. I’m not sure if it’s a scheme issue or our linebackers and safeties are simply getting beat by better players but when we allow Jared Cook to look like an All Pro and Antonio Gates look like he’s 28 years old again, you can bet our future opponents will look to exploit the opportunity.

Injuries are the great equalizer in the NFL. One of the greatest keys to a Super Bowl run is the health of the roster’s key players. I won’t even breathe the names I’d hate to lose the most so I will leave that thought unwritten here.

The GSOT didn’t care about turnovers. The mentality was to attack without caution or hesitation. While McVay is far more vigilant than Martz about taking care of the ball, I feel every fumble and interception that occurs. It could cost us games against better teams.

While this team hasn’t been plagued by an abundance of penalties, each time we stall on O or extend drives on D, it seems like a penalty was to blame. Also, I literally hold my breath on every kick and punt return and don’t sigh in relief for at least 15 seconds after the play is completed.

Am I the only one starting to see cracks in the run defense? While statistically this defense doesn’t look as bad in this area as last year, I still don’t get the sense teams will be afraid to run on us as an effective strategy.

While this team has a perfect record, the best point differential in the NFL so far, fewer glaring weaknesses than any other team, superlative coaching, an efficient and balanced offense, a handful of Pro Bowl level defenders, the best overall special teams in league, and a national media who is beginning to recognize greatness, all I want to know is how well this team will perform next week against the Vikings. I’m grateful we have a head coach who sees it this way too.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Continuous improvement, one day at a time, etc. It appears they have the right mindset. We saw this last year also.

It's absolutely astonishing how far the team has come in such a short time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After First 3 Games
1999 St Louis Rams PF = 100 PA = 27
2018 LA Rams PF = 102 PA = 36

We'll be ok.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man, you’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about the little things along the way. I know you have concerns, and you’ve outlined them adeptly, but every team has a handful of Achilles heels. Myself, I’m not looking for perfection. I’m just looking for signs that the coaches can adjust for those imperfections and the players can step up when called upon to do so.

Conservative playcalling and lack of execution were our biggest problems before McVay came aboard. Those things appear to have been eliminated. So I’m good. If we win it all, that’s great. If we don’t, then that’s unfortunate. At least I’m being entertained. It’s really all I want at this stage.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, you’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about the little things along the way. I know you have concerns, and you’ve outlined them adeptly, but every team has a handful of Achilles heels. Myself, I’m not looking for perfection. I’m just looking for signs that the coaches can adjust for those imperfections and the players can step up when called upon to do so.

Conservative playcalling and lack of execution were our biggest problems before McVay came aboard. Those things appear to have been eliminated. So I’m good. If we win it all, that’s great. If we don’t, then that’s unfortunate. At least I’m being entertained. It’s really all I want at this stage.
You need a Super Bowl Championship, bro...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No team is perfect @leoram. This Rams team is pretty damn good. I recommend just sitting back and enjoy the show. Maybe it’s in you nature to look for the chinks in the armor, but we have no control over it. That’s what the offseason is for.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Am I the only one starting to see cracks in the run defense? While statistically this defense doesn’t look as bad in this area as last year, I still don’t get the sense teams will be afraid to run on us as an effective strategy.

The Rams defense has gone against 3 top RBs in Lynch, Johnson, and Gordon. They are currently 3-0

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
Continuous improvement, one day at a time, etc. It appears they have the right mindset. We saw this last year also.

It's absolutely astonishing how far the team has come in such a short time.

seems like just yesterday we were hoping for a 9 - 7 season, know I am trying 2 figure out if we can go undefeated.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No team is perfect @leoram. This Rams team is pretty damn good. I recommend just sitting back and enjoy the show. Maybe it’s in you nature to look for the chinks in the armor, but we have no control over it. That’s what the offseason is for.

True. But what I like best is that from McVay on down, I hear the whole team being accountable to address those armor chinks every week until week 20.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What I like about this team is the adjustments. At halftime, the team comes out w/ a whole different vibe. It's such a far cry from I hope we try to stop this or that.....this staff does more than try. I think we'll see moving forward San Diego did a pretty good job of adjusting to our adjustments. But most teams won't........

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

download (1).jpg