Psychological effect of SF loss

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe if it doesn’t bother them, it should, from a long term perspective. I keep thinking this will be the year that finally removes McSnead’s blind spot about investing in the trenches. Just the Creed blunder alone will haunt us for a while.
Worst part is I really dont think its a blind spot. McVay and Snead are too sharp. I think its a conscious decision not to spend higher round picks on OL. Which to me makes it worse. The SB loss alone should have proved how important OL was. Then 2019 the same story. And 2020/2021 while the OL is much better, it still gets bullied by physical fronts and teams around the league know that. Its the main reason why we cant beat SF. Getting physically dominated like we have crushes your will and has a mental effect. I really hope we dont see them again in the playoffs.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We play not to lose instead of stepping on our opponents throats.
Yea the 3rd down call to run the ball and then punt was so fucking bad. One first down and you win the game. If we dont get it, who cares if they have 1 timeout left but you have to try. Especially given how ineffective the D was in the 2nd half and the nature of the losing streak we had by them.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
We kept running up the middle and telegraphing our runs with basically a GOAL LINE formation... and kept getting stuffed. Why not play to your strengths?

We got creative and had the nice handoff to Coop on our only scoring drive of the 2nd half , but other than that... NO creativity on our run game.
When's the last time we saw a toss to one of our RBs?? Why not run it OUTSIDE with Cam once or twice???

McVay was too caught up in trying to beat them at their own game so he could say "I told ya so".... But we aren't built for that. We need to utilize our speed and our smarts.... But we don't. We play down to the level of our competition all the time and if we can't correct that...we'll never make it back to the SB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had the thought and then I checked....and sure enough, yep...

Last week was McVays first regular season overtime game. Five years and only one OT (outside of the NFCCG of course).

That seems uncommon but I'm way too lazy to check

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
As long as we don't face the 49ers in the playoffs it shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I hope the Rams do face the 49’s in the Playoffs! Need to stop that STUPID Losing Streak against them and what better way than to knock them out of the Playoffs and END THEIR SEASON!!!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Curious what you guys think here. Is it possible there are any residual effects lingering after that SF loss? A team we had loss to 5 straight at the time. Wanting to win at home, to clinch the division and break the losing streak. Put ourselves as the #2 seed in the NFC and close out the season playing our best football. Instead we completely choked. Blew a 17 point lead to our division rivals who we can't beat. Could not stop the run in the 2nd half when their physicality took over. Without their all pro LT in fact. Knowing we needed one stop, the defense got picked apart in less than a minute and allowed them to tie the game. Then moments later, they win the toss and immediately drive down again unstoppably and win the game.

The fact that we choked in this manner, the way you lose sometimes has a lingering effect that us actually greater than the loss itself. The way the SF fans completely took over SoFi. The way Ramsey called out our defense scheme after the game proving there is some discension in the locker room.

Success and confidence are contagious and breeds more of the same. But the flip-side is also true. Self doubt and hesitation can creep in and cripple a competitor. I'm seriously wondering how a loss like that wont have an effect on us. It takes incredible mental fortitude to brush a loss like that off and come back to play your best football.
It was a close game which we played well enough to have won. But it raised questions about mistakes made including in the play calling, the defense and secondary, and turnovers. I'm no sure no one is happy about how we lost. And the injuries in the secondary hurt.

Still Rams know they can beat anyone if they play hard and keep their heads on straight.

But the coaches need to nail the really right strategies and play calls, on both sides of the ball, and the team needs more consistent execution to make a deep playoff run. Can they pull it all together?

MachS

Hall of Fame
We kept running up the middle and telegraphing our runs with basically a GOAL LINE formation... and kept getting stuffed. Why not play to your strengths?
I mean we ran the ball in a jumbo 7-OL formation and got tackled for a loss on two straight plays. 7OL cant get any push at all?? And not only did they not get a push, but they got pushed backwards. A few plays later we're in a 3-WR set and they have 6 in the box, great look to run in. Stafford checks to a run and we get stuffed for a 1-yard loss. I mean all the scheming and game planning in the world doesn't help when you're OL just gets bitch slapped time after time after time again vs these guys. It's crazy how easily they push us around for 3 years and we just decide to leave our OL as is. While they sign guys like Trent Williams who are all-pros. Just shows the difference in team building philosophy. And I dont know how we beat teams like that come playoff time that are obviously more physical than us.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
What bothers me most about all those losses is that not once did our DC think to man up Ramsey on debo all fucking day. What's the definition of insanity?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Where is Thordaddy when you need him?

‘Nite Kevin.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
i dont think it has any impact one way or the other.

each game is a different animal.

Me either.

That said…

The Cards are under the radar a little and that’s a place you can pounce if we get caught with SF on the mind still.

Rams need to talk as a team about the opportunity in front of them. Its a new week.

THIS is what you worked to achieve. Go finish.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
How could it NOT affect your psyche? Doesn’t EVERY loss? It always comes down to how you handle it. That’s life 101.

If they come out flat vs zona, then...
If they come out pissed, then...
If the cowboys beat the 9ers...

Monday night will be a big test of mental toughness moving forward (hopefully) in the playoffs.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The loss probably affected the fans psyche more than anyone else. Losses happen. Players and coaches get over it and move on to the next game. They have to. Fans don't get over it so easily.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not one bit.
Like @snackdaddy said right above, its the fans that carry the emotional burden
The team?
Heck no, for them its "We're on to Cincinnati"

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Curious what you guys think here. Is it possible there are any residual effects lingering after that SF loss? A team we had loss to 5 straight at the time. Wanting to win at home, to clinch the division and break the losing streak. Put ourselves as the #2 seed in the NFC and close out the season playing our best football. Instead we completely choked. Blew a 17 point lead to our division rivals who we can't beat. Could not stop the run in the 2nd half when their physicality took over. Without their all pro LT in fact. Knowing we needed one stop, the defense got picked apart in less than a minute and allowed them to tie the game. Then moments later, they win the toss and immediately drive down again unstoppably and win the game.

The fact that we choked in this manner, the way you lose sometimes has a lingering effect that us actually greater than the loss itself. The way the SF fans completely took over SoFi. The way Ramsey called out our defense scheme after the game proving there is some discension in the locker room.

Success and confidence are contagious and breeds more of the same. But the flip-side is also true. Self doubt and hesitation can creep in and cripple a competitor. I'm seriously wondering how a loss like that wont have an effect on us. It takes incredible mental fortitude to brush a loss like that off and come back to play your best football.
I'm much more concerned about the physical effects.
No Fuller and maybe no Rapp.