Proven Performance Escalators: Will Chris Givens Become A Salary Cap Casualty?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I found this interesting...Givens is due 1.7 mil & TJ Johnson 1.74 mil. in 2015
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1/30/7929269/st-louis-rams-free-agency-salary-cap-chris-givens
Trumaine Johnson and Chris Givens are entering the fourth (and final year) of their respective rookie contracts. Both will receive substantial pay increases in 2015 due to provisions in the CBA. Part two - of a 12-part offseason salary cap series - examines Proven Performance Escalators, and how they affect the Rams' salary cap and offseason plans.

Late January/early February is the time of year when players find out about raises in their contracts triggered by particular provisions in the CBA. 2014 season statistics affecting contracts are officially finalized by the NFL around this time of the year. The Proven Performance Escalator is a provision included in all rookie contracts of players selected between the third and seventh round of the NFL draft.

The escalator/raise becomes available during the 4th (last) year of a player's rookie contract. To qualify, a player must play in at least 35% of the snaps - offensive or defensive - in two of his first three seasons, or 35% of the total snaps - offensive or defensive - over the entire three-year period. If earned, the players base salary increases to that of the lowest Restricted Free Agent tender for 2015. The lowest RFA tender will likely come in at $1.57 million, and will be finalized when the salary cap limit is determined in February.

The 2015 Proven Performance Escalators are applicable to the 2012 draft class. Two Rams players from the 2012 draft class qualify for the PPE: Trumaine Johnson and Chris Givens. Greg Zuerlein does not qualify, as kickers/punters are ineligible for the PPE. The escalator doesn't involve any guaranteed money, nor is it counted against the salary cap as dead money if the player is released.

As a result of the PPE, Trumaine Johnson receives a $775,500 increase in base salary for 2015, while Chris Givens' base salary increases by $910,000 in 2015. Johnson's salary cap hit for 2015: $1,737,794. Chris Givens' salary cap hit for 2015: $1,694,257. If the Rams released Johnson and/or Givens, the salary cap savings for each player would be $1,570,000.

As noted in part one of the salary cap series, the Rams (at present) have virtually zero salary cap space. They will need to create a substantial amount of salary cap space if they wish to re-sign any of their eligible free agents, or those from another team. Every dollar will loom large this offseason.

Although he will receive a substantial raise, Trumaine Johnson is not a candidate for release by the Rams. Johnson's an integral part of the Rams' secondary, and should rebound from his injury-plagued 2014 season.

Decisions regarding Chris Givens are not so clear-cut. Givens saw very little playing time in 2014, and slid down to 5th on the Rams' WR depth chart in the process. If the Rams re-sign Kenny Britt, Givens will likely remain at the bottom of the depth chart. The salary cap space saved by releasing Givens could play a critical role in re-signing Britt (or other free agents). The Rams could instead force Givens to take a cut in pay at a later date, similar to Austin Pettis last year. The Rams restructured Pettis' contract in early September. The restructure included a pay cut, which significantly reduced the PPE he had earned earlier in the year. Pettis was then released by the Rams on October 20. Does Chris Givens figure into the Rams' long-term plans?

Proven Performance Escalators will always have a negative impact on the Rams' salary cap. It's a small price to pay for the continued productivity and success of the Rams' later-round draft selections. Look for T.J. McDonald and Stedman Bailey to earn the escalators in 2016.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
OT but isn't Givens a guy Martz could make blossom?

Athos

Legend
OT but isn't Givens a guy Martz could make blossom?

Not really. You have to be able to run routes in a Martz offense. Complex routes too, I believe.

Other than his gator arms and unwillingness to fight and go over the middle, routes are his biggest weakness. Just awful, ugly routes.

I'd consider it no loss if we cut him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not so sure that Givens is worth 1.7 mil cap hit myself. Where TJ Johnson is a much better use of that 1.74 mil IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not worried about losing Givens either....My dream of DGB or Sammy Coates gets closer & closer...

Britt-Quick-Bailey-Austin-DGB...ahh!!!!!!

Tru had me a lil nervous his last few games....he was looking horrible.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Givens is that receiver when he catches a pass, even hardcore Rams fans look at the rosters and say, "he's still with the team?"

It's time... Givens should be cut even before camp so that we can move on, unless a June 1st cut helps more. Otherwise, cut him early so he has a better chance to find work.

Tru is a keeper.

As for this "up against the cap" business... bah humbug. That presumes we're going to keep Jake Long and Scott Wells.

Well, let me just put this out there...

If we do that, I won't be posting anymore. Not because I quit, but because I will have forgotten how to type... from the head injury due to slamming my head so hard into my steel desk...repeatedly... saying, "not again...not again....not again...not agah....not....not..."

So, yeah... Wells and Jake (I'm wearing khakis) Long go or I'm gonna join the pudding eaters club...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
the Rams (at present) have virtually zero salary cap space. They will need to create a substantial amount of salary cap space if they wish to re-sign any of their eligible free agents, or those from another team.
I have heard, in past reports, that the Rams were in good shape going into 2015. So what's True!?!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I have heard, in past reports, that the Rams were in good shape going into 2015. So what's True!?!

Both are true. They have near zero cap space and are fine.

Why? Because at present IF they do nothing, they have no cap space. The chances they do nothing is about zero.

Jake Long isn't likely to remain a Ram. I really like Langford, but I'm SURE the Rams are eyeing that $6Mill for a backup spot and wanting to save money even though I think that would be a huge mistake. We saw how big a mistake it was to think Alex Carrington would step in. Conrath would have been better and that's a bitter pill for me to swallow. Scott Wells is a pretty big chunk and even though he graded out well in 2013, he was the worst in 2014.

What scares the crap out of me is that the Rams ditch Long and Langford and stick with Wells thinking his poor play was due to injury... and we don't really upgrade the OL very substantially.

That scenario is a very real possibility...

Long is $8M cap saving.
Langford is $6M cap saving.
Wells is $3.75M cap saving. iirc, little fuzzy on his number.

And that doesn't include any renegotiations that may or may not happen with Sam Bradford.