Protect Bradford!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

I was a Watkins guy, but we really need to think about protecting Bradford. I say we get some more beef up front with Robinson or Mathews. The number one goal of Snead and Fisher should be to keep Bradford upright.

nighttrain

Legend
I was a Watkins guy, but we really need to think about protecting Bradford. I say we get some more beef up front with Robinson or Mathews. The number one goal of Snead and Fisher should be to keep Bradford upright.
This is our absolute #1 priority, if not, it should be
train

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I could not agree more with this, it has been my mantra since Bradford went down. There is no other player more important to this team than Bradford. Without him they will not make the playoffs.

I do believe they had already targeted this year to pick up the youth movement along the O line so seeing a couple of big uglies taken in the first 2 rounds would not surprise me.

Matthews is the safest and IMO should be a no brainer followed by a young guard or possibly the center from USC Marcus Martin.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is our absolute #1 priority, if not, it should be
train

It doesn't matter who is receiving the ball. We could have Megatron and Larry Fitzgerald, but if Bradford does not have time or gets injured again, we are screwed. I can't take many more "wait until next year" moments.

tbux

Rookie
WE have many picks- doesnt have to be the top pick. We would also have to play either OT at OG- not ideal. I think Watkins, then if Lewan is there him, if not, then get OTs and OGs rd2-4. We have Long,Jones/Barnes,Wells,Saffold,Barks- pretty solid. Need depth for sure - but I dont think an OT with the top pick is a priority as any seem to think. jmho

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm coming more and more round to the idea of drafting Robinson, plugging him in at LG with a view to him replacing Jake Long at LT when his time is up.

Sam's job instantly becomes easier for two reasons. 1) His protection is immediately upgraded because although Robinson's pass protection isn't as good as Matthews' surely its better than Williams/Smith and 2) the running game improves which in turn makes his life easier.

The impression I get about Matthews (and this is based entirely on what I read here - he could be sat next to me right now and I wouldn't recognise him) is that he could start straight away too but not at guard and by all accounts, Jake Long won't be missing for too long (if at all) so I'm not drafting for the sake of a couple of games at the start of the season. I may be wrong but that's what I've picked up from comments here about him.

Not too fussed about drafting a WR (regardless of who it is). We've spent enough draft picks on that position - time for them to step up and that's not going to happen if they aren't going to be trusted.

Now that my eagerly anticipated thoughts on the draft have been shared, you can all breathe a collective sigh of relief

Ram_of_Old

I'm coming more and more round to the idea of drafting Robinson, plugging him in at LG with a view to him replacing Jake Long at LT when his time is up.

Sam's job instantly becomes easier for two reasons. 1) His protection is immediately upgraded because although Robinson's pass protection isn't as good as Matthews' surely its better than Williams/Smith and 2) the running game improves which in turn makes his life easier.

The impression I get about Matthews (and this is based entirely on what I read here - he could be sat next to me right now and I wouldn't recognise him) is that he could start straight away too but not at guard and by all accounts, Jake Long won't be missing for too long (if at all) so I'm not drafting for the sake of a couple of games at the start of the season. I may be wrong but that's what I've picked up from comments here about him.

Not too fussed about drafting a WR (regardless of who it is). We've spent enough draft picks on that position - time for them to step up and that's not going to happen if they aren't going to be trusted.

Now that my eagerly anticipated thoughts on the draft have been shared, you can all breathe a collective sigh of relief

Yup, we have some promising wideouts and slot people now. I really think we need to improve the OL depth first. We can pick up some solid receiver in later rounds.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
Why does Wells keep getting a reprieve?

I'd feel much happier about this if we knew whether or not Barrett Jones is close to being ready to start a game in the NFL.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm a big Robinson guy, as well. We saw a drastic difference in our offense when when Stacy established the running game for us. Saffold helped blossom it with he stellar play. So let's add to it! Of course I'd love to have Watkins, but I don't think it'll matter when the Niners are kicking out @ss in trenches like they did BOTH times last year. We got embarrassed. Time for us to be the tench bruisers.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
I have a feeling that Jones IS ready, could be why we've let Shelley Smith and Chris Williams go in FA?

You may well be right but I have always been under the impression that he was viewed as a center more than a guard. I may be wrong and I know he could potentially do either.

Irrespective of that, I'm not going to lose sleep over Smith and Williams leaving. If we're going to compete in this division we can't be having either of those two anywhere near the starting O line.

tbux

Rookie
I just dont think the line is as bad as some think- I think the issue early last year was more scheme and RBs. Once we fixed that, the line did pretty well. I think we need someone on the outside who gets open and makes plays - that is Sammy Watkins. Great hands, fast, and will be the reliable outside option we have missed since Tory. Get oline depth after.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You may well be right but I have always been under the impression that he was viewed as a center more than a guard. I may be wrong and I know he could potentially do either.

Irrespective of that, I'm not going to lose sleep over Smith and Williams leaving. If we're going to compete in this division we can't be having either of those two anywhere near the starting O line.

He could be our Center of the future, but something tells me he'll see time at LG between Wells and Long this season...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The above suppose able puzzling situation by the Rams in keeping Wells at this time is not so puzzle thing to me. Rams just just took action to permit three of the Rams four starting OG's the last two season depart. Stop digest that for a moment...a 33 yr old vet a 29 yr old vet and a 27 yr old young vet....all three were starters. Just a week ago the Rams had became aware that it was now possible they were going to loose all four of their starting OG's over the last 2 seasons....but a freaky bit of outstanding luck turned for us. Saffold returned soo ...Amazing!

Center Barnes who has been a Ram for the last three seasons (2011-2012-2013) just finally saw his first action as a starter in the last five games of last season. Multipurpose OC/OG/OT Barrett Jones never saw the field in 2013 regular season. Wells may yet be released but this 33 yr old vet sure has some serious worth now with a OL is so much turmoil.. due in part to the OLT injury...While I hear & read that All pro CB Revis is just now getting fully healthy two yrs removed 2012 from the same injury that Jake Long endured in week 16 in late December & the entire Ram world expects Jake in the line up in full form playing lights out all pro level in August of 2014....oh but Ol'ers knees are totally different and they do not have the stress that skilled players knees have...really OK maybe the OLG or a ORG or a center but has anyone every seen what kind of stress a RIGHT knee undergoes to set then press left kick out on a left OT in pass protection? its a big different form a OG or OC.....

Keeping Wells looks real sound to me currently that 2013 broken leg (IR'd 2013) & 2012 broken foot (IR'd 2012) issues should not be the big issue its that knee of Wells that worries me ...surgery in spring 2012 & then injury in pre season then later surgery again winter of 2013 from that injury on that same knee. Looks to me that Boudreau is betting that Wells may have JUST one more healthy season left in him. Wells can be used as the old vet in the middle working with Saffold for the first time in TC & pre season as a interior OL and the new younger Ol'ers like Jones-Barnes-Washington-Persons and whomever they draft.

This will be the first time in Rodger Saffold's life where he will go into TC & pre-season as a OG. Should be interesting to see who much better Saffold will be with a full TC & preseason under his belt @ OG. Currently Boudreau does not have a legit swing OT on his roster he has two unknowns projects in Hooey & Pocic. One would think that Barrett Jones is the only Oler who could go into TC & preseason and perform @ the OLT post.

If the Org bets wrong and Wells does what he did the last two season he will be released with a possible 4.5 million cap savings.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm just glad we only have a few real needs for once.

I can't see them picking any receiver either. We have a corral of talent.

However, if they stay at 2 or trade down and still get some of the top talent, I don't think you can go wrong with the first pick.

Ram_of_Old

I'm just glad we only have a few real needs for once.

I can't see them picking any receiver either. We have a corral of talent.

However, if they stay at 2 or trade down and still get some of the top talent, I don't think you can go wrong with the first pick.

I have faith in Snead and Fisher. The know the team's needs better than any of us. I have confidence they will make the best decisions for the team. I can't say that was true with some of the past front offices.

tbux

Rookie
"I can't see them picking any receiver either. We have a corral of talent."

quantity does not equal quality- we have no wr with the talent of Watkins. We have some #2 and 3 types- no #1 type. Be nice to have.