Prospects that make you pass on OL at 10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Lets get a list going of prospects that you would take over any O lineman in this draft at pick 10.
Assume for the sake of this discussion that you could have any O Lineman in the draft - that not a single one of them goes in the top 9.

FRO

Legend
Cooper and White or about it at 10. DGB or Gurely if we trade down.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Leonard Williams. Amari Cooper. Kevin White. That's it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Leonard Williams. Amari Cooper. Kevin White. That's it.

Interesting. Leonard Williams might be the very best player in this draft and we've not been linked to him at all (probably because he'll be gone and its not a position of need) - but if we could land him - wow....

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Leonard Williams, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Dante Fowler

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah, I think that Big Cat has the potential to be a great 4-3 left end. He's easily the most freakish prospect since Julius Peppers. I know that Kevin Williams is his usual comparison, but I see better things for Leonard. He's produced much more than Kevin Williams did in his collegiate career against tougher opponents. Some teams wanted to put KW at left end as well, but LW is even more of an athlete and advanced pass rusher than Kevin was at that time.

Sorry for the lack of quotes, but the damn button won't allow me to quote anything right now. Stupid hotel Internet services...

radjohns

UDFA
I guess it depends on the oline prospect we're talking about in the first place. I really don't want the Rams to draft a guard at 10, so there's lots of prospects I'd prefer in that case. I'd prefer one of the top edge rushers over a guard (not Gregory though). Waynes over a guard is also something I'm ok with as well. As far as offense goes I'd take either of the top 2 QBs and Cooper or White over a guard as well.

Athos

Legend
Winston
Mariota
Williams
Cooper
White
DGB (if everything is exhaustively researched)

That's the list.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Winston
Mariota
Williams
Cooper
White
DGB (if everything is exhaustively researched)

That's the list.

You don't think you can take a risk on picking up DGB later on? He's not going top 10 because of the character concerns so if you want him at #10 surely take a trade down offer to say, 19, 20 and then pick him up and bag a 4th round pick or something like that?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm liking Parker > White.

That's just me.

Cooper is going to be the stud of this draft at the position, though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I should play along...

Leonard Williams, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Devante Parker

Memphis Ram

Legend
Even though I (we) don't have even half of the information the NFL teams have on these guys, to date, I come up with 15 players I'd take over any OLineman in this draft class at #10. And I would probably have a couple more, but the Akeem Ayers signing hinders the "within reason" portion of my BPA view, for me.

DEFENSE
DLine - Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler Jr., Arik Armstead, Eddie Goldman
LBs - Stephone Anthony (no I'm not kidding)
CBs - Trae Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters (if he checks out in interviews)

OFFENSE
QB - Jameis Winston (if he checks out in interviews), Marcus Mariota
RB - Todd Gurley (if medically cleared)
WR - Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Breshad Perriman

As an old school draftnik, I really don't believe that the team shouldn't spend a top 10 selection on an OLineman if he's not going to be your starting LT. And especially not in this draft class where I truly believe a decent starter at those other OLine spots could be had well into the 3rd or perhaps even 4th round.

Of course, some will go on about need so-called premium players along the OLine, but I beg to differ. Especially on a team that plans to emphasize the running game and getting the ball out of the QB hands quicker this year.

But, in the end, since I don't have all the information I want, if the team can't move down and feel that an OLineman is clearly the best player available at #10, then I hope they go ahead and draft that OLineman.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
williams, Cooper, White, Dupree, Beasley, Gurley, Folwer jr, Parker , Waynes, & Mariota

I am still not sold on any QBs this year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are five players for me:
1. Jameis Winston
2. Marcus Mariota
3. Amari Cooper
4. Kevin White
5. Vic Beasley

Even though I (we) don't have even half of the information the NFL teams have on these guys, to date, I come up with 15 players I'd take over any OLineman in this draft class at #10. And I would probably have a couple more, but the Akeem Ayers signing hinders the "within reason" portion of my BPA view, for me.

DEFENSE
DLine - Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler Jr., Arik Armstead, Eddie Goldman
LBs - Stephone Anthony (no I'm not kidding)
CBs - Trae Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters (if he checks out in interviews)

OFFENSE
QB - Jameis Winston (if he checks out in interviews), Marcus Mariota
RB - Todd Gurley (if medically cleared)
WR - Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Breshad Perriman

As an old school draftnik, I really don't believe that the team shouldn't spend a top 10 selection on an OLineman if he's not going to be your starting LT. And especially not in this draft class where I truly believe a decent starter at those other OLine spots could be had well into the 3rd or perhaps even 4th round.

Of course, some will go on about need so-called premium players along the OLine, but I beg to differ. Especially on a team that plans to emphasize the running game and getting the ball out of the QB hands quicker this year.

But, in the end, since I don't have all the information I want, if the team can't move down and feel that an OLineman is clearly the best player available at #10, then I hope they go ahead and draft that OLineman.

I really hope you are.

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people can devalue the OL but value WRs highly.

There's also one more huge problem with your reasoning...you beg to differ on us needing an OL because we plan to emphasize the running game? The OL is an important part of running the football.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really hope you are.

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people can devalue the OL but value WRs highly.

There's also one more huge problem with your reasoning...you beg to differ on us needing an OL because we plan to emphasize the running game? The OL is an important part of running the football.

1) Nope.

2) I don't believe that I value WRs highly. And I even value LTs over WRs (Remember, I wanted Greg Robinson over Sammy Watkins last year). But, in the top ten of the draft, I value a potential stud WR over OLinemen who are not LTs.

3) No problem at all. I believe that good run blockers/average pass protectors are far easier to find than quality pass protectors. Shoot, even Barksdale does a fine job run blocking.

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people who have watched this game for years, can't see that all you need to build a successful OLine are a good LT and 4 other average to above average players on the same page working together as a unit. And ESPECIALLY, on a team that plans to run the ball and do a better job of getting the ball out quickly.

I'll also never understand how one cannot see that, unless that non LT is one of the few ELITE (ala Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca), the difference in the overall effect on an offense between having a good non LT OLineman vs. a merely above average non LT OLineman is negligible. Again, the key is having 5 of these guys working together and gelling as a unit.

It's the QB and the Offensive Coordinator that are the main key to an offenses success. Didn't we all watch the GSOT prove this to be true? Or were Gruttadauria, Nutten, and Miller top notch so-called premium OLinemen?

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Yeah, I think that Big Cat has the potential to be a great 4-3 left end. He's easily the most freakish prospect since Julius Peppers. I know that Kevin Williams is his usual comparison, but I see better things for Leonard. He's produced much more than Kevin Williams did in his collegiate career against tougher opponents. Some teams wanted to put KW at left end as well, but LW is even more of an athlete and advanced pass rusher than Kevin was at that time.

Sorry for the lack of quotes, but the damn button won't allow me to quote anything right now. Stupid hotel Internet services...
Sorry, but athletically speaking that's just not true. His sparq score was only average for his position in the 49th percentile:
dlsparq1.png

We have about three players on this team alone that were more freakish prospects than Williams in Donald, Quinn, and Fairley. Athletically, I want to say he's comparable to a Gerald McCoy, but McCoy was way more explosive on tape at Oklahoma, as a player Williams is more like Suh but less powerful.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Sorry, but athletically speaking that's just not true. His sparq score was only average for his position in the 49th percentile:
dlsparq1.png

We have about three players on this team alone that were more freakish prospects than Williams in Donald, Quinn, and Fairley. Athletically, I want to say he's comparable to a Gerald McCoy, but McCoy was way more explosive on tape at Oklahoma, as a player Williams is more like Suh but less powerful.

SPARQ means about as much to me as the Combine, i.e., nothing at all. Would you really consider Carl Davis and Grady Jarrett better prospects than Williams? Would you consider Darius Philon and Louis Trinca-Pasat to be better than Danny Shelton?

It means nothing. Absolutely nothing. I pay attention to their tape, and what I saw on tape was Williams dominating everyone that he played in the Pac-12 (which was arguably the best conference in college sports last year) and out of conference at all positions on the line. Physically, he's a freak of nature. On tape, he's even more freakish, and he's making something happen every time he's on the field. He's instinctive as hell and has a very advanced pass-rushing inventory for his age (he's only twenty years old right now and won't be old enough to legally drink until June 20th).

Quite honestly, I don't see why people consider him to be a lesser prospect. He's better than Cooper. Better than White. Better than the quarterbacks. The only defensive player I'd take in the first round in this class. I'm not at all saying that he's a right end in this league, but he could certainly play left end at a very high level.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm liking Parker > White.

That's just me.

Cooper is going to be the stud of this draft at the position, though.
I've been looking more at Parker too. He's really got super high football intelligence and is a very well spoken kid. He's got great ability to go up and grab the ball at its peak. Pretty phenomenal athlete. If he's able to put on some extra weight without affecting his game then he's a slam dunk.

I think I could be happy with him at 10. He's really under valued so far in this process. Seems like he's being considered bologna after Cooper and White are gone.