Proposed 2024 Rule Changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

'Tush Push' rule change: NFL will not propose banning controversial play for 2024 season​

The "Tush Push" is here to stay ... at least for the 2024 season. NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent has confirmed that the controversial play will remain a legal play this season, via ESPN. Vincent added that there will not be a proposal presented this offseason that would attempt to ban the play.

While there isn't a strong push to ban it, the NFL will continue to monitor the play, according to CBS Sports lead NFL insider Jonathan Jones.

The "Tush Push" has become the NFL's most scrutinized play over the past two seasons. The play rose to fame in 2022 after becoming an integral part of the Philadelphia Eagles offense. The play helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl that season while aiding in Jalen Hurts' setting a new quarterback record by running for 15 regular-season touchdowns. He had an additional three touchdown runs during the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

The league's current stance on the "Tush Push" differs from reports this past December that commissioner Roger Goodell wanted it out of the game. It appears that is no longer the case.

There are two reasons why the play has received push back. The play isn't safe as it often creates a pile, which increases the chances of injury. Many feel the play also gives the offense an unfair advantage as offensive players can push the quarterback forward. The Eagles had a 93.5% success rate running the play in 2022 and a 90% success rate in 2023, according to The Athletic.

While it has its detractors, the "Tush Push" will remain in the NFL in 2024, and it's up to the league's 32 defensive coordinators to come up with a way to stop it.
Solution: DCs or more so DLine coaches need to figure a way to make that play more punishing for Olinemen. That way they won’t want to do it.

Also refs need to make certain that the line isn’t starting early like it usually does on that play.

Personally I hate that play. It’s not football. It’s rugby.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This just my yearly post in this thread that spiking the ball to save clock is intentional grounding.

And the horse collar rule needs more work or just obliterate it altogether.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This just my yearly post in this thread that spiking the ball to save clock is intentional grounding.

And the horse collar rule needs more work or just obliterate it altogether.
I like the spike rule, besides the QB just going to airmail a ball over his receiver’s head.

In HS and youth they have a better rule, which is only when one tackler grabs near the nameplate and drops the tackled player sideways or backwards. Spin cycle tackles, don’t count. Stop progress with a grab and pull the runner backwards, but don’t tackle? Doesn’t count. Another player helps you finish off the tackle after you grab the name plate (usually results in forward momentum), doesn’t count.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like the spike rule, besides the QB just going to airmail a ball over his receiver’s head.
I like the rule too. It is in fact intentional grounding but take it away you and are limiting late game heroics which is never a good direction.

Horse collar is all about player safety. But I also have reservations about the consistent favoritism of offense. Defensive players have to be able to hit. Take that away and this sport isn't worth watching. I won't be watching at least when it finally becomes flag football. The NFL's domination is because they have a controlled physicality mixed with that passing, it makes for a great overall product. But without that physical side it won't be worth shit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

'Tush Push' rule change: NFL will not propose banning controversial play for 2024 season​

The "Tush Push" is here to stay ... at least for the 2024 season. NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent has confirmed that the controversial play will remain a legal play this season, via ESPN. Vincent added that there will not be a proposal presented this offseason that would attempt to ban the play.

While there isn't a strong push to ban it, the NFL will continue to monitor the play, according to CBS Sports lead NFL insider Jonathan Jones.

The "Tush Push" has become the NFL's most scrutinized play over the past two seasons. The play rose to fame in 2022 after becoming an integral part of the Philadelphia Eagles offense. The play helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl that season while aiding in Jalen Hurts' setting a new quarterback record by running for 15 regular-season touchdowns. He had an additional three touchdown runs during the Eagles' Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

The league's current stance on the "Tush Push" differs from reports this past December that commissioner Roger Goodell wanted it out of the game. It appears that is no longer the case.

There are two reasons why the play has received push back. The play isn't safe as it often creates a pile, which increases the chances of injury. Many feel the play also gives the offense an unfair advantage as offensive players can push the quarterback forward. The Eagles had a 93.5% success rate running the play in 2022 and a 90% success rate in 2023, according to The Athletic.

While it has its detractors, the "Tush Push" will remain in the NFL in 2024, and it's up to the league's 32 defensive coordinators to come up with a way to stop it.
The bolded is what I have a problem with. If they simply went back to the rule of not allowing a player to assist the runner by pushing him or dragging him forward, the tush push would go away and we'd be back to real football instead of Rugby. I like Rugby but it is not Football.