Projecting Rams depth chart: Offense/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Projecting Rams depth chart: Offense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8470/projecting-rams-depth-chart-offense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Free agency and the NFL draft are over and the St. Louis Rams will soon be back on the field for organized team activities. Soon enough, training camp will be here and the competition will heat up.

At first glance, there doesn't appear to be much guesswork in figuring out which new additions will fit in where but there will be plenty of competition at a number of positions.

With that said, here's one man's guess at how the offensive depth chart figures to shape up as we head toward summer. (Asterisk indicates a rookie and undrafted rookies not included)

OFFENSE:

Quarterback

Projected starter: Sam Bradford

Backups: Shaun Hill, Austin Davis, Garrett Gilbert*

Comment: Bradford and Hill are locked into their spots. Had the Rams used an earlier pick on a rookie signal caller, he'd probably be the clear favorite for a third spot but Gilbert and Davis will probably have to compete for that spot assuming the Rams even keep three.

Running back

Projected starter: Zac Stacy

Backups: Tre Mason*, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, Daryl Richardson, Chase Reynolds

Comment: Stacy will hang on to starting job but it would be no surprise if Mason pushes him. Pead and Richardson could be dueling for one spot and it's possible both could be fighting for any spot at all.

Fullback

Projected starter: Cory Harkey

Backups: None

Comment: Harkey isn't technically a fullback but he played there quite a bit in 2013 and figures to return to his versatile role again.

Wide receiver

Projected starter: Chris Givens and Tavon Austin

Backups: Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, Justin Veltung, Emory Blake

Comment: These jobs are thrown in flux by Bailey's suspension. Probably the most open competition of any position on offense but Givens and Austin should get the first look.

Tight end

Projected starter: Jared Cook

Backups: Lance Kendricks, Harkey, Justice Cunningham, Mason Brodine

Comment: Harkey will do some in-line blocking as well and Kendricks can also move all over the offense. Cunningham is a sleeper to watch from the practice squad. Brodine is transitioning from defensive end.

Left tackle

Projected starter: Jake Long

Backups: Mike Person, Mitchell Van Dyk*

Comment: Person will probably get some opportunities but the Rams have flexibility here with Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold and Joe Barksdale also capable of handling the job. Van Dyk will have an uphill battle to land a roster spot but the Rams like his upside.

Left guard

Projected starter: Greg Robinson*

Backups: Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones

Comment: Robinson likely starts out here but will get chances to move around. Washington holds some promise and Jones can fill in anywhere.

Center

Projected starter: Scott Wells

Backups: Tim Barnes, Jones, Demetrius Rhaney*

Comment: Wells figures to hold the job down for now but the competition could be feisty for the backup job. Jones is projected as the long-term answer but Barnes got some games under his belt last year and Rhaney brings athleticism and potential.

Right guard

Projected starter: Rodger Saffold

Backups: Washington, Jones

Comment: Saffold can finally settle into his best spot and should offer Pro Bowl potential over the course of a full season.

Right tackle

Projected starter: Joe Barksdale

Backups: Person, Sean Hooey, Graham Pocic

Comment: Like the left side, Robinson and Saffold can also fill in here and would before Person but the Rams also have some hopes for Hooey to develop even if he's still a year or two away.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I was thinking Britt before Givens, but most defiantly n open competition for the WR.
Your awesome btw you human feed you.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I was thinking Britt before Givens, but most defiantly n open competition for the WR.
Your awesome btw you human feed you.

Givens rookie season is better than Britt's last 3 years. He's got a lot to prove, while we have no reason to believe that Givens didn't do anything but have a sophomore slump paired with nagging injuries.

No way Givens loses his starter slot to anybody listed unless they blow it out of the water.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Givens rookie season is better than Britt's last 3 years. He's got a lot to prove, while we have no reason to believe that Givens didn't do anything but have a sophomore slump paired with nagging injuries.

No way Givens loses his starter slot to anybody listed unless they blow it out of the water.

Not sure I agree with that. I like Givens, but I would not consider him a lock by any stretch. Needs to learn to run more than a 9 route and screens to be a complete WR IMO. I DO think he will be improved and I hope he brings it this year. Otherwise, I will be on board with whoever rips it up!

RamzFanz

Damnit
The only locks in my mind for WR were Austin and Bailey. Now I'm just hoping we will have a solid pass attack until after the buy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The only locks in my mind for WR were Austin and Bailey. Now I'm just hoping we will have a solid pass attack until after the buy.

deal_drugs.jpg

:sneaky:

lockdnram21

Legend

Bail3ys not even a lock in my mind. i think either britt or Quick start on one side and Givens or Bailey on the other with Tavon in the slot. i dont see how people could say Bailey is starter based on last season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bail3ys not even a lock in my mind. i think either britt or Quick start on one side and Givens or Bailey on the other with Tavon in the slot. i dont see how people could say Bailey is starter based on last season.

Bailey excelled at everything last season. He crushed special teams. They finally started him at WR and he had ZERO drops. That's with KC at QB. He also did TA's role in a double end around for a TD.

Dude was a MONSTER in college.

He makes my starting lineup every time. His job to lose.

lockdnram21

Legend
Bailey excelled at everything last season. He crushed special teams. They finally started him at WR and he had ZERO drops. That's with KC at QB. He also did TA's role in a double end around for a TD.

Dude was a MONSTER in college.

He makes my starting lineup every time. His job to lose.

As of riight now hes not a starter. When he comes back hes going to have to earn time. If the other guys are doing well its gone make itn hard

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm been thinking Britt & Quick outside w/ TA in the slot

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'm been thinking Britt & Quick outside w/ TA in the slot

With Stedman out, this is the way to go. Givens will bounce back and earn some snaps, too.

This is a great situation for our young receivers. We're going to pound opponents into submission and force single coverage on our wideouts. Can't Wait!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I will be very disappointed if britt isn't starting by week 1. He is the playmaker Sam has been waiting for his whole career. Well he had dax but only every third week and only limited snaps at that.

jjab360

Legend
Hopefully, the plan is the bring in a veteran interior lineman for depth.
You would have to think so. Brandon Washington as the primary backup for both OG spots is not a settling thought.

I'm thinking bringing Harvey Dahl back is a definite possibility, Davin Joseph is another obvious one.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Britt over Givens starts if mentally healthy and physically available ......Givens is great off the bench. When Bailey comes back he will be the #1 guy. imho