Projected 2015 starters: St. Louis Rams/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Projected 2015 starters: St. Louis Rams

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 21, 2015 at 09:45 a.m.
Updated: May 21, 2015 at 10:37 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493659/article/projected-2015-starters-st-louis-rams

Around The NFL predicts the Week 1 starting lineups for all 32 teams, analyzing the potential impact of each rookie class. See every breakdown here.

4Q6QqQA.jpg

» The Rams are taking a conservative approach to first-round pick Todd Gurley's recovery from ACL surgery. While we fully expect Gurley to be the primary back once he's fully healthy, Tre Mason is the favorite to enter the season as the starter.

» New coordinator Frank Cignetti promises to get Tavon Austin more involved, which shouldn't be difficult considering the pint-sized playmaker's limited role under Brian Schottenheimer. Will Austin play a running back-receiver hybrid role, with Stedman Bailey as the No. 3 receiver?

» The offensive line will have three new starters, with rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown as candidates to start on the right side. Tim Barnes will likely face competition at center.

» The Rams have a rare quandary at defensive tackle, with three starters for two spots. Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald won't have a reduced role, which means Michael Brockers is ticketed for run situations with Nick Fairley coming on for passing downs.

» E.J. Gaines was St. Louis' top cornerback as a rookie last season. He figures to start opposite Janoris Jenkins, with Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner vying for subpackage snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Game

Living The Dream
This sounds about right for the projected starters. I could see Stedman Bailey starting Day 1 if Quick is not ready or fully recovered. I do believe that Bailey will be more involved this year. And don't rule out Gurley playing Week 1

Personally i would rather have Tru Johnson and EJ Gaines start at CB but i don't think that will happen.

jap

Legend
This sounds about right for the projected starters. I could see Stedman Bailey starting Day 1 if Quick is not ready or fully recovered. I do believe that Bailey will be more involved this year. And don't rule out Gurley playing Week 1

Personally i would rather have Tru Johnson and EJ Gaines start at CB but i don't think that will happen.

Jenks has better natural athletic ability and instincts. I just wish he gets a lot more serious about film study against the better QB's. He has to learn to read them properly so they won't light him up for big gains/TD's.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Jenks has better natural athletic ability and instincts. I just wish he gets a lot ,more serious about film study against the better QB's. He has to learn to read them properly so they won't light him up for big gains/TD's.
and you know he isnt serious about it now, how exactly?

Big Game

Living The Dream
Jenks has better natural athletic ability and instincts. I just wish he gets a lot ,more serious about film study against the better QB's. He has to learn to read them properly so they won't light him up for big gains/TD's.

I agree that Jenks is the better corner when he is not taking so many risks. But i guess you take the good with the bad with Jenkins. It was just hard to watch a few games last year where i will say "it looked like he was the cause of the busted coverage". I won't completely put it all on him.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't expect Tim Barnes to start at center, but he has to be the favorite at this point, considering he's the only one with any real experience. Barrett Jones or Demetrius Rhaney will have to beat him out for the job, and stay healthy while they're at it.

jap

Legend
and you know he isnt serious about it now, how exactly?

I am judging from the times he has been exposed by top QB's (e.g., Brady, Rodgers, etc.). I fully realize that playing against top QB's can be golden growing moments for young CB's, particularly those like Jenks who love to gamble. I also realize he was not necessarily the primary one to blame for some of the long gains/TD's he has given up such when he should have received help deep. However, I would love to see him elevate his game to elite status.

Jenks is so athletic, he may actually suffer from having too many options when healthy. I recall a game he play while enduring back pains and he played one of his best games to date. Apparently, the limitations imposed by the back condition forced him to make more prudent choices on the field. Perhaps he should play every game like he has back pains.

Athos

Legend

Agreed on Bailey.

Don't think Gurley plays until Week 3 or 4. They may even wait until the bye-week. Which I would be perfectly content with.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I am judging from the times he has been exposed by top QB's (e.g., Brady, Rodgers, etc.). I fully realize that playing against top QB's can be golden growing moments for young CB's, particularly those like Jenks who love to gamble. I also realize he was not necessarily the primary one to blame for some of the long gains/TD's he has given up such when he should have received help deep. However, I would love to see him elevate his game to elite status.

Jenks is so athletic, he may actually suffer from having too many options when healthy. I recall a game he play while enduring back pains and he played one of his best games to date. Apparently, the limitations imposed by the back condition forced him to make more prudent choices on the field. Perhaps he should play every game like he has back pains.
And yet no where in your response did you explain the comment about him not taking film study seriously. You made a claim as if you had some intimate knowledge as to his mindset regarding this specific area in his preparation.

And yet, if you listen to some of Fisher's comments about Jenkins, you hear a coach who raves about his instincts and preparation. That his instinct can at times get him in trouble because he reads things so quickly and can make the first move, thereby exposing himself to a big play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Projected 2015 starters: St. Louis Rams

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 21, 2015 at 09:45 a.m.
Updated: May 21, 2015 at 10:37 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493659/article/projected-2015-starters-st-louis-rams

Around The NFL predicts the Week 1 starting lineups for all 32 teams, analyzing the potential impact of each rookie class. See every breakdown here.

4Q6QqQA.jpg

» The Rams are taking a conservative approach to first-round pick Todd Gurley's recovery from ACL surgery. While we fully expect Gurley to be the primary back once he's fully healthy, Tre Mason is the favorite to enter the season as the starter.

» New coordinator Frank Cignetti promises to get Tavon Austin more involved, which shouldn't be difficult considering the pint-sized playmaker's limited role under Brian Schottenheimer. Will Austin play a running back-receiver hybrid role, with Stedman Bailey as the No. 3 receiver?

» The offensive line will have three new starters, with rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown as candidates to start on the right side. Tim Barnes will likely face competition at center.

» The Rams have a rare quandary at defensive tackle, with three starters for two spots. Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald won't have a reduced role, which means Michael Brockers is ticketed for run situations with Nick Fairley coming on for passing downs.

» E.J. Gaines was St. Louis' top cornerback as a rookie last season. He figures to start opposite Janoris Jenkins, with Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner vying for subpackage snaps.
I would feel comfortable with this Starting Line-up, EXCEPT! I would 'Flip' the ORG and OLG, I prefer Saffold @ ORG, and I wouldn't want to start two Rookies together on the Right side of the OL!!

jap

Legend
And yet no where in your response did you explain the comment about him not taking film study seriously. You made a claim as if you had some intimate knowledge as to his mindset regarding this specific area in his preparation.

And yet, if you listen to some of Fisher's comments about Jenkins, you hear a coach who raves about his instincts and preparation. That his instinct can at times get him in trouble because he reads things so quickly and can make the first move, thereby exposing himself to a big play.

I am pretty sure he takes film study of opposing receivers and regular QB's very seriously. His play against some of the top players demonstrate that. I really want him to up his game against the more clever QB's like Brady or Rodgers who would look away from his coverage area then apparently surprise him with a deep pass, especially if he was caught cheating up. He got schooled in back to back games in 2013 against the Pats and the Pack. Even Miami's Ryan Tannehill caught him off-guard with such a move later that season.

I don't know if he will ever reach the mythical "shut down" CB status, but I believe he is capable of getting real close. He's a smart guy; I just want him to recognize who the smarter QB's try to set him up and counter that.