Project the Starting OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
What I think is reasonable to expect at OL this year, optimistically.

LT - Long
LG - Matthews/Robinson
C - Wells/Jones
RG - Schwartz/Yankey
RT - Barksdale

This isn't hard to do. Matthews/Robinson are there for us on a silver platter. All they have to do is sign Schwartz this week and/or draft a quality OG. Heck, I can do that.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

LT - Long
LG - Matthews/Robinson
C - Wells/Jones
RG - Schwartz/Yankey
RT - Barksdale

This isn't hard to do. Matthews/Robinson are there for us on a silver platter. All they have to do is sign Schwartz this week and/or draft a quality OG. Heck, I can do that.

The funny thing about it is that I called into Sirius yesterday and talked with Ross Tucker and Bruce Murray. Those guys were arguing with me that Miami didn't let Jake Long go, ignoring the fact that they let him go to FA and never extended him. They thought just because the Rams signed him to a 4 year contract that means he is not breaking down.

Tucker said the Rams can sign Guards easily. He mentioned Willie Colon. But he did say he'd be surprised if the Rams didn't take an OT high. Murray disagreed, saying Long is fine at LOT and you don't draft a RT high in the draft. Then they got into a philosophical discussion on the evolution of the RT being more important now.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Honestly, I'd rather see the Rams sign Schwartz and maybe even another OG or tackle than Verner/Byrd. Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited for either of those guys...but I think signing a lineman or 2 gives us much more flexibility in the draft.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

LT - Long
LG - Matthews/Robinson
C - Wells/Jones
RG - Schwartz/Yankey
RT - Barksdale

This makes a ton of sense. I prefer Matthews over Robinson only because I think Matthews can start at LT day 1. I don't really see how Long is back for week 1, in fact if he takes 9 months which is standard recovery he wont be ready to go till the end of September and I think that is being optimistic for a 300lb+ lineman. The Rams are going to need a swing tackle for the first half of the season and when Long comes back a guy who can kick inside to LG. My guess is Long misses 8 weeks. Im not convinced Robinson can hold up in pass protection right away and personally think he is a pro bowl caliber guard.....I don't see LT in his future.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This makes a ton of sense. I prefer Matthews over Robinson only because I think Matthews can start at LT day 1. I don't really see how Long is back for week 1, in fact if he takes 9 months which is standard recovery he wont be ready to go till the end of September and I think that is being optimistic for a 300lb+ lineman. The Rams are going to need a swing tackle for the first half of the season and when Long comes back a guy who can kick inside to LG. My guess is Long misses 8 weeks. Im not convinced Robinson can hold up in pass protection right away and personally think he is a pro bowl caliber guard.....I don't see LT in his future.

I don't understand the "because he's a 300 lb. lineman" talk. Dude is an athlete, plus he doesn't put as much torque on his knee as skill position players do when they cut. I believe Jake will be ready to go.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't understand the "because he's a 300 lb. lineman" talk. Dude is an athlete, plus he doesn't put as much torque on his knee as skill position players do when they cut. I believe Jake will be ready to go.

James Carpenter of Seattle is an athlete and he took 11 months to come back from the same injury. Im not a doctor but I don't understand why an athlete makes a cadavers ligaments any more stronger. Again, I am projecting but 300lbs on a new ACL and MCL is probably different than for a 200lb guy.

Again, best case for recovery is typically best case 9 months. AP's incredible recovery was 9 months and I believe was only his ACL. So lets assume Long has a great recovery and is back in 9 months. He has surgery on Jan 22nd for both ACL and MCL. That is a return of October 22nd.

You also have to factor in the mental aspect of this.....look at Derek Rose (NBA). Long has had some injuries and you have to consider what is going on in his head and how quickly he wants to get back.

So based on your projection and because he is not a skilled player you think he will be ready to go week 1? That would be an 8 month recovery....Take a look at this injury the recovery time for ACL and MCL. RGIII and AP are not typical recovery times and neither had the MCL replaced. Even Dr Andrews said these players recovery time is not typical and are doing more harm then good by coming back so soon. I think your being overly optimistic if you think Long is going to be ready to go week 1.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Fair enough @Boston Ram.

I'm a Rams fan. I must be optimistic!

I see that you're looking at this rationally, and comparing like recovery times. I'm just taking Fisher at his word that he is optimistic that Jake will be ready to go by the opener.

fearsomefour

Legend
That is worst case for sure....smells like 5-11 to me.
We will see what the next couple of weeks hold.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Fair enough @Boston Ram.

I'm a Rams fan. I must be optimistic!

I see that you're looking at this rationally, and comparing like recovery times. I'm just taking Fisher at his word that he is optimistic that Jake will be ready to go by the opener.

Im with you my friend and I am optimistic that even if Long is out or a while they can get buy for a few weeks. When FA and the draft is over then I will believe what Fisher is saying in terms of Long's health.

But lets both hope your closer to being right than I am lol.

wrstdude

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@MikeSilver 5m
Right now a battle is shaping up between the Giants and Rams for Geoff Schwartz's (non-bargain) services. Will someone else get in?

nighttrain

Legend
Omg no. If this nightmarish situation somehow came true, though, I'm pretty sure Barksdale would get the nod at LT over Williams considering he's started there before and isn't a complete failure.
With Austin at QB, maybe
train

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I don't trust Jake Long's health. Nor do I trust the health of Saffold, Wells, and Dahl. It's been soooooo many years since the Rams had a healthy OLine for an entire season (GSOT) that it would be my singular focus this offseason.

To that end, I predict Barksdale, Robinson, Jones, Su'a-Filo, Schwartz. Eventually I think we see Long, Robinson, Jones, Schwartz, Barksdale. I want OLine depth so badly that in 2015 I want to see Long, Schwartz, Jones, Su'a-Filo, Robinson with Barksdale, Barnes, Washington, and another developmental tackle drafted in the second round as backups.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We are gonna have to outbid the Giants. Sounds like it's not crazy money. Giants never do crazy money, they aren't the Raiders or Redskins. They like to get FAs on the cheap. So if the Rams want Schwartz they could get him by sweeting the pot a bit.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
No biggie.. All that means is Cleveland has the right to match any contract offered to him. We wouldn't lose any picks or anything. Only downside for us would be the time and effort committed if Cleveland matches our offer sheet. I say give him a 5 year $43 mill/ $21 mill guaranteed.

Well, looks like I nailed it!!... For Saffold that is.. :cool:

wrstdude

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like we can remove Schwartz from any of those projections.