Pro Ready...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I've lost track of how many times everyone who weighs in concerning the Wentz/Goff debate refers to Goff being more "pro-ready" because he threw more passes and against superior competition. I can also count a handful of times Snisher has emphasized they aren't targeting a QB based on first day readiness, rather they want the one who will be the right man for the next ten years.

I find it interesting that Gruden, after spending an entire day WITH both QB's called Wentz the most pro-ready to come out in several years. Again, I don't believe this is a deciding factor. Therefore, I'm growing weary of hearing how it is...that Wentz is a greater risk when that makes no sense to me. Wentz has more experience under center turning his back to the defense, snapping his head around and diagnosing his reads. Wentz has more experience engineering clutch drives in the end of championship games. Yet neither QB has faced an NFL defense and neither has played in the Ram offense. ALL WE CAN DO IS PROJECT WHICH ONE HAS THE BETTER SKILLS THAT TRANSLATE TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

I suppose if I preferred Goff, this argument wouldn't bother me. Hell, Goff may very well be the better QB. But if he is...it isn't because he's more "pro-ready"

Stepping off my soapbox now...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh. Can't wait until Thursday. I watched those Grudens camps probably 5 times each and it seemed clear to me that Gruden preferred Goff..... For whatever that is worth. As far as being "Pro Ready", I would call it a draw. Wentz took more snaps from center, but Goff threw more routes against better competition.

I honestly feel like both QBs will be successful if they are handled properly by their respective teams. Our discussions and concerns should be turning to our OL and WR Corps progression. Without those key ingredients, neither QB will be able to do much except turn and hand to TGII.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree! I don't know which one the Rams want but I am sure that Wentz will be able to play sooner and will probably have more long term success. And he displays more desire to be great which isn't a teachable trait.
That said, I like Goff, and he is younger, which could be a really good thing long term but I think that he will take more time to develop, if a QB can actually develop in the Ram's system.:thinking:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And contemplate what our conversations would be like if Goff had played for NDSU and had the protection of that line and Wentz was at Cal and that swinging door of an OL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've lost track of how many times everyone who weighs in concerning the Wentz/Goff debate refers to Goff being more "pro-ready" because he threw more passes and against superior competition. I can also count a handful of times Snisher has emphasized they aren't targeting a QB based on first day readiness, rather they want the one who will be the right man for the next ten years.

I find it interesting that Gruden, after spending an entire day WITH both QB's called Wentz the most pro-ready to come out in several years. Again, I don't believe this is a deciding factor. Therefore, I'm growing weary of hearing how it is...that Wentz is a greater risk when that makes no sense to me. Wentz has more experience under center turning his back to the defense, snapping his head around and diagnosing his reads. Wentz has more experience engineering clutch drives in the end of championship games. Yet neither QB has faced an NFL defense and neither has played in the Ram offense. ALL WE CAN DO IS PROJECT WHICH ONE HAS THE BETTER SKILLS THAT TRANSLATE TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

I suppose if I preferred Goff, this argument wouldn't bother me. Hell, Goff may very well be the better QB. But if he is...it isn't because he's more "pro-ready"

Gruden produces a TV show.

It's one of the many reality type shows. You cannot rely on anything you see or hear from that.

One entire day of film gets edited down to the 20 minutes you see. It's a production put together as entertainment.

It means as much as nothing.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Gruden produces a TV show.

It's one of the many reality type shows. You cannot rely on anything you see or hear from that.

One entire day of film gets edited down to the 20 minutes you see. It's a production put together as entertainment.

It means as much as nothing.
Listen to him on the MNF broadcasts ... every 3 min's, a different players it the best he has ever seen. Like you said .. .it's TV. they usually are not going to say too much negative. at all. It's all about hype

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ugh. Can't wait until Thursday. I watched those Grudens camps probably 5 times each and it seemed clear to me that Gruden preferred Goff..... For whatever that is worth. As far as being "Pro Ready", I would call it a draw. Wentz took more snaps from center, but Goff threw more routes against better competition.

I honestly feel like both QBs will be successful if they are handled properly by their respective teams. Our discussions and concerns should be turning to our OL and WR Corps progression. Without those key ingredients, neither QB will be able to do much except turn and hand to TGII.

Gruden brought in 100 qbs when he was the bucs coach. And they all blew chunks. He lost all his qb comment privileges.

He also had no idea how to use a rb. He ruined Cadillac Williams career by rushing him 50 times per game in his first 3 games in the nfl. Is it any wonder he broke down in the 3rd or 4th game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gruden says something about every QB that's the "best he's seen in awhile"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Listen to him on the MNF broadcasts ... every 3 min's, a different players it the best he has ever seen. Like you said .. .it's TV. they usually are not going to say too much negative. at all. It's all about hype

Exactly.

There is NO WAY he is going to say "this guy sucks" and I'd bet a lot that he truly doesn't think much of some of the guys he has had in his "camp".

Like Manziel........hahaha.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Exactly.

There is NO WAY he is going to say "this guy sucks" and I'd bet a lot that he truly doesn't think much of some of the guys he has had in his "camp".

Like Manziel........hahaha.
Gruden is just another "Rah-Rah" guy.

But the writer of the article on "the other side of the story" doesn't say Goff's the most pro ready. :)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe it's just me, But this sure makes it sound like "Wentz is the Pick!!":D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant with for Thursday. I'm so sick of the generic terms of such utter ambiguity like "pro ready"
We'll know when they face real NFL defenses

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi

Goff is more pro ready in terms of footwork, progression processing sprees, and pocket presence. He also has the experience of calling blocking schemes and making pre and post snap reads.

Goff also has also attempted nearly 4x as many passes as Wentz against a higher game speed.

Wentz may have much more experience running pro sets and taking snaps under center but those are things that typically translate if you have good work ethic and good footwork and are rarely the reason a QB fails to transition from college to the pros.

We still don't know good Wentz will be in terms of going through progressions or what his ceiling is for pocket presence/awareness. In college you can get away with running out of the pocket if your first or second read isn't available. In the NFL it's much more difficult.

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
First off. This stuff is made for TV and we ALL may want to keep that in mind.

Goff. Man he moves sweet in the pocket. No question. This film didn't help the statements regarding his O'Lines ability in my opinion. Granted he had to move in the pocket so meh...
I expected better detail regarding his management of the offense. This film clip didn't give me the "Schwing" I was expecting. While watching the play, Benoit asked Jared what the defensive alignment was and he said "cover 2ish, I think". That is concerning to me.
I think fluidity in the pocket and his accuracy will be Goffs best friend early in his career. It will get him out of trouble.

Wentz. I see why Coaches and scouts are so impressed with his understanding of the game. What stood out for me was his knowledge of the game, ability to make play calls and audibles. His poise in throwing on 4th & 8, and tossing the TD in the corner. Sweet. Thats impressive as heck. I think the tape does a nice job of showing he does have eyes across the field, but that his pocket stance is different from Goff.
I've always been concerned about his fumbles. It will need to be addressed as will his consistency.

I think "game management/play calling" and athleticism will be Wentz good friend early on. It will keep him from getting into trouble.

Question. I've seen a ton of Wentz, and learned even more from this clip. I felt that it is a fair assessment of what Wentz brings to the table.

For those who have seen Goff play a lot, do you think this video is equally a fair assessment?

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol the draft is gonna be over and half of us are gonna have to convince ourselves that we were wrong and that the qb we didn't want is actually the better one. But give me Goff

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Goff is more pro ready in terms of footwork, progression processing sprees, and pocket presence. He also has the experience of calling blocking schemes and making pre and post snap reads.

Goff also has also attempted nearly 4x as many passes as Wentz against a higher game speed.

Wentz may have much more experience running pro sets and taking snaps under center but those are things that typically translate if you have good work ethic and good footwork and are rarely the reason a QB fails to transition from college to the pros.

We still don't know good Wentz will be in terms of going through progressions or what his ceiling is for pocket presence/awareness. In college you can get away with running out of the pocket if your first or second read isn't available. In the NFL it's much more difficult.

1500/600 = 2.5

2.5 isn't "nearly 4x"

And NDSU beat the last 5 FBS schools they faced, so the talent disparity and "speed" is grossly exaggerated. Many FBS schools pad their schedules and try to avoid "trap" games.

Just look at Fresno State and some of the other schools from the "weaker" conferences who are damn good. They can't even GET scheduled games with the top schools because the top schools are afraid of losing. But you can bet Alabama is going to trounce East Southwest Louisiana Polytechnic University 85-0... It's a big joke. It's a HUGE part of the reasons some of these big schools don't want a playoff. You can't have some little school come in and beat you when you've already been anointed all season... especially with 22 fewer scholarships...

You can't tell me that NDSU wouldn't have beaten plenty of teams in the SEC this season. Memphis? C'mon... Vandy? Really?

You can only play against who's in front of you and I'm certain if teams would step up against NDSU, they'd play them. I know for a few years UCLA tried that... and they got SPANKED... (I'm a UCLA fan...) so they quit scheduling those tough early games.

I dunno what's gonna happen with their careers, but to say that Div IAA is appreciably slower than IA in some cases is true, but isn't always. There's overlap. There isn't this massive gap between the two.