"Pro Football" Hall of Fame

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Does the name insinuate that people should take Kurt Warner's arena football achievements into consideration for his ballot into the HOF next year? If so, I think he is a no questions asked 1st time eligible HOFer. Thoughts?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think he goes in 1st ballot because of numerous factors beyond just his playing.
He is the Jim Plunkett of our era....and he was a pro bowler at 38, and was still playing well at retirement.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think he goes in 1st ballot because of numerous factors beyond just his playing.
He is the Jim Plunkett of our era....and he was a pro bowler at 38, and was still playing well at retirement.
That and when healthy he led two teams to the Superbowl.

As to the OP's idea, this isn't basketball.

fearsomefour

Legend
Does the name insinuate that people should take Kurt Warner's arena football achievements into consideration for his ballot into the HOF next year? If so, I think he is a no questions asked 1st time eligible HOFer. Thoughts?
Silliness.
Just as lame as including Ichiros' hits in Japan. It's a substandard league. CFL, NFL Europe, USFL....the list goes on.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Silliness.
Just as lame as including Ichiros' hits in Japan. It's a substandard league. CFL, NFL Europe, USFL....the list goes on.
If that's the case, why isn't it called the "NFL Hall of Fame"?

All of those other leagues may be substandard in general but it doesn't mean the players who excelled should be disregarded.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Warner definitely benefited and got another shot based on his development and excellence in "professional" Arena Football. Warren Moon is in both the Canadian and NFL hall of fame. I'd say the total package of being an elite professional player in multiple football leagues is a plus for both. I like the concept. There is not a rule against "not considering it" I can find.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Jim Plunkett is not in HOF. And Plunkett won 2 Super Bowls. Kurt will likely get in first ballot but there will be lots of debate.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I say J Plunkett of our era because he didn't have a 'continous' or continguous(?) career. Start. stop. stop. start start...Awesome in the playoffs, gave everything he had, and tough...amongst other things.

fearsomefour

Legend
If that's the case, why isn't it called the "NFL Hall of Fame"?

All of those other leagues may be substandard in general but it doesn't mean the players who excelled should be disregarded.
Fair enough.
Lets make sure we include high school coaches with deserving win totals as they are paid professionals.

Irish

Starter
He owns the 3 greatest passing performances in Superbowl history. If you show up and do it on the biggest stage, you deserve to get in. No one did more than Kurt Warner did.

First ballot, no question.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Fair enough.
Lets make sure we include high school coaches with deserving win totals as they are paid professionals.
Do you really want to play semantics to make your point?

The AFL, WFL, USFL, CFL, NFLE and many other professional leagues have played a part in professional football's history. Why shouldn't they be a part of the HOF?

fearsomefour

Legend
Do you really want to play semantics to make your point?

The AFL, WFL, USFL, CFL, NFLE and many other professional leagues have played a part in professional football's history. Why shouldn't they be a part of the HOF?
Yeah, just being a smart a**.
The only issue is picking and choosing who gets consideration and for what. If a guy can have success in several leagues that's cool but what does that mean?
Only guys who were great at the NFL level would garner consideration anyway....guys like Hershal Walker, Warner, Moon ect are pretty rare.
Maybe those leagues deserve their own small sections in the hall?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah, just being a smart a**.
The only issue is picking and choosing who gets consideration and for what. If a guy can have success in several leagues that's cool but what does that mean?
Only guys who were great at the NFL level would garner consideration anyway....guys like Hershal Walker, Warner, Moon ect are pretty rare.
Maybe those leagues deserve their own small sections in the hall?
I suppose it is tough to figure out who deserves to get in but Walker is a good example. Not a HOF career on his own but what he did in the USFL and the trade from the Cowboys to Vikings that helped build a dynasty both somehow should be a part of the "fame" part of the Hall.

fearsomefour

Legend
I suppose it is tough to figure out who deserves to get in but Walker is a good example. Not a HOF career on his own but what he did in the USFL and the trade from the Cowboys to Vikings that helped build a dynasty both somehow should be a part of the "fame" part of the Hall.
Yeah Walker kind of jumped out to me as well, interesting career.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah good one. Real bummer both his careers were shortened.
Some guys just transcend. I was never a Raiders fan but I'd tune in to watch Bo.

But there are lots of stories like that that don't deserve a bust, but do deserve to be there. Some are socially relevant like Kenny Washington or James Harris. Some are just amazing stories like Clint Longley or Frank Reich. Stuff like that should be in there as should the other leagues and how they impacted or competed with the NFL. Jim Kelly, Reggie White, Bobby Hebert, Herschel Walker and Doug Flutie from the USFL.

Heck, Flutie's the poster boy for what I'm talking about. Never did a whole lot in the NFL but had an amazing football career. No way should he be forgotten.

I've never been to the HOF so a lot of the stuff I'm talking about may already be there. I know the NFLN has done some specials on the AFL and WFL so it wouldn't surprise me if they have some of these other things covered too.