Pro Football Focus ranks Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line 13th for 20

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...es-nfl-2019-los-angeles-rams-andrew-whitworth

Pro Football Focus ranks Los Angeles Rams’ offensive line 13th for 2019

With two new changes inside but solid options on the outside, the Rams’ O-line is still in the top half of the NFL.

1098127914.jpg.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams WR Brandin Cooks and LT Andrew Whitworth walk off the field against the Arizona Cardinals, Dec. 23, 2018.
Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Pro Football Focus has ranked every offensive line heading toward 2019 and has the Los Angeles Rams’ big guys 13th:

13. LOS ANGELES RAMS

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Andrew Whitworth
Left Guard: Bobby Evans
Center: Brian Allen
Right Guard: Austin Blythe
Right Tackle: Rob Havenstein

Either rookie Bobby Evans or 2018 third-rounder Joseph Noteboom will step in for Rodger Saffold at guard, and 2018 fourth-rounder Brian Allen is expected to replace longtime veteran John Sullivan at center. None of the three youngsters have played significant snaps in the NFL, but all of them earned high marks at the collegiate level. Noteboom earned a 77.0 overall grade and a 91.6 pass-blocking grade in his last year with TCU, and Allen earned 81.0-plus overall grades in each of his last three seasons at Michigan State. Evans, a third-round pick in this year’s draft, earned a 72.3 overall grade at left tackle in 2018 and an 86.2 overall grade at right tackle in 2017.

There’s much less to worry about with the Rams’ returning starters. Tackles Rob Havenstein and Andrew Whitworth are two of the best in the game right now, and guard Austin Blythe earned a career-high 71.0 overall grade this past season that he should build off in 2019.

Interesting inclusion of Evans over Noteboom, but I wouldn’t dismiss the analysis because of it.

Should they finish 13th, that would be a stark dropoff from 2018 as one of the best lines in the league if not the best outright. Football Outsiders ranked the Rams’ line first in Adjusted Line Yards (their primary run-blocking metric) and sixth in Adjusted Sack Rate (their primary pass-blocking metric). So to come in at 13th would spell quite a bit more trouble for QB Jared Goff who, as we discussed yesterday, has struggled mightily under pressure.

The X-factor here? Health.

The Rams have been extremely fortunate in terms of injuries on the line since relocating to LA. Teams ranked ahead of the Rams like the Denver Broncos, Carolina Panthers and Dallas Cowboys all had injuries decimate their O-line play last year. The positive outlook for the Rams here is that thanks to investments in the last two drafts, the Rams have plenty of depth that can support the line should injuries take starters out for any stretch.

Overall though, to have the Rams’ O-line in the top half of the league despite two departures (which included G Rodger Saffold III whose addition to the Tennessee Titans boosted them to 5th in these rankings) is an indication of the strength of the line. Should the Rams’ coaching staff get adequate play out of the left guard and center positions whoever ends up filling them over the course of the season, they could certainly finish higher than 13th at season’s end.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/countdown-to-camp-new-look-offensive-line

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2019 09:22 AM

Countdown to Camp: New-look offensive line will sport two new starters

yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons

For the Tuesday, July 9 installment of Countdown to Camp, we’re taking a look at the Rams’ five up front.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Newcomers: Bobby Evans, David Edwards, Brandon Hitner, Vitas Hrynkiewicz, Chandler Brewer, Matt Kaskey

Since Sean McVay took over as head coach in 2017, Los Angeles’ offensive line has been one of the most consistent units in the league. A lot of that has to do with health, since the Rams have been able to roll out their expected starting five for each game of the last two years.

But there will be some significant change along the unit in 2019. Gone are starting center John Sullivan and starting left guard Rodger Saffold. And that means it’s time for Brian Allen and Joseph Noteboom to step in in their stead, respectively.

As quarterback Jared Goff said early on during the offseason program, while L.A. will certainly miss the veteran presence of both Sullivan and Saffold, the club did draft both Allen and Noteboom to play. And by all accounts, both had strong offseason. Goff even mentioned that he and Allen have played Fortnite together to help establish their chemistry.

Elsewhere along the line, left tackle Andrew Whitworth returns for a remarkable 14th NFL season at the age of 37. This is Whitworth’s last season under contract with the Rams, having signed a three-year deal in March 2017.

On the right side of the line, both Rob Havenstein at tackle and Austin Blythe at guard are slated to be back in those same positions. Havenstein is entering his fifth year as the Rams’ starting right tackle, and signed a four-year extension last August. Blythe took over at guard for Jamon Brown when the now-Falcons lineman was suspended for the first two games in 2018, and Blythe played so well Los Angeles kept him in that spot.

As for depth, 2018 sixth-round pick Jamil Demby was signed back to the active roster in December following a stint on Detroit’s roster and practice squad. He’s likely the sixth man for the offense line heading into the season, as he worked at each of the five spots during the offseason program.

Los Angeles also selected Bobby Evans in the third round and David Edwards in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft, which makes both more likely than not to earn a spot on the roster.

Filling out the rest of the group are Jeremiah Kolone (who spent time on Los Angeles’ practice squad last year), Aaron Neary (who was recently suspended for the first four games of the 2019 season), Brandon Hitner, Vitas Hrynkiewicz, Chandler Brewer, and Matt Kaskey.

PREVIOUSLY ON COUNTDOWN TO CAMP

July 8 - Special teams

Tomorrow, Countdown to Camp will continue with a look at the Rams’ inside linebackers.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is my problem with PFF and always has been. They think they know it all but at times they simply don't bother to do the research.

Les Snead has publicly said that Noteboom was drafted specifically as Whit's replacement. He shined last preseason with his 71 snaps and allowing zero pressures. In the last SF game when the starters rested, Noteboom and Allen both played well. Noteboom had 74 snaps with again zero pressures.

Allen for his part played in relief in a game against the Cards, the SF game (whole game) and a few snaps in relief in the Bears game. He played well enough to earn the starting position and give the FO and McVay confidence enough in letting Sullivan walk.

They are young players, but they do have some experience. It's not going to be too big for them. Will there be growing pains? Sure that could be said if they brought in new vets as replacements. PFF is assuming the worst case without really looking at the players in context. They tend to do that alot. I for one have no problem with the young guys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like people around here aren't the only ones underestimating Kromer and McVay. They came on made a few changes and coached up a few guys into one of the best lines in the league. Have a little faith that they still know what they're doing and we won't skip a beat with the changes this season!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Obviously their opinion is based mostly on the 2 new, 2nd year guys not having started a game. We all know the drop off shouldnt effect the offense and that we will still be a running powerhouse with 3 1000 yard receivers so as usual, fuck what any sports hack has to say. By mid season, the smarter ones will be writing about how they're a top 5 unit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Let's not kid ourselves.
The loss of Saffold is a big hit.
I dont expect Noteboom to come in and dominate like Saffold, but I do expect solid play with a few mistakes here and there.

As far as Allen.
It's quite possible that we could get better play out of him than Sully last season.
Sully didnt seem to be the same player he was the year prior.

Thank goodness for Kromer.
We havent had an oline coach of his caliber since Jim Hannifan.

oldnotdead

Legend
Physically Noteboom and Saffold are pretty much equivalents, except Boom has better feet. There were times when Rodger's missed a block. No one is perfect. Where there might be a difference is in the run game. Saffold's strength is in his run blocking. Noteboom's strength is in his pass blocking. That is where I think the difference will be. Joe is a better pass blocker IMO. Since they prefer to run an inside zone and not power, I don't see a big difference between Saffold and Noteboom in the run game.

I agree that Sullivan's age showed at times last year. There were times last year Sully was late picking up stunts. That's why I don't see a problem with Allen. In most respects Allen and Sullivan are physically similar. The only real difference is Allen is an inch shorter, and about 7 lbs lighter, but he looks to have better feet and perhaps a bit quicker. Where it will show especially this year is Allen probably won't be as good at the oline calls. But overall I think he will be fine and get better every year. At center experience counts.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Noteboom doesn’t give you that nasty vibe from his off the field demeanor, but he did play hockey growing up. Every dude I knew that played hockey had an edge to them in competition. He might end up being better than expected in the running game.

Ram65

Legend
Noteboom and Allen are a big part of the master plan to keep the Rams new found winning ways going. We have to hope there isn't a big drop off in overall play. I think Kromer will have them ready to go. Pass blocking could be even or better with a little drop off in run blocking. Hard to give a rating when they haven't played. As stated I don't see a big drop off.

oldnotdead

Legend
PFF claims to analyze every play of every game. But they didn't know about Noteboom and Allen's play last year? They didn't bother to see what the coaches were saying about their oline intentions? Instead they value an untested rookie over a 2nd year player with limited but stellar play in 2018 and treat Allen like an untested rookie when he has even more experience than Noteboom.

Fans beware of PFF. Even their stats are flawed. It's why I don't bother with them anymore. Their analytics weren't even created for American football. Their values are based on a system created for other sports. American football is a far more complicated sport. Case in point, without knowing the play how can they create values? Were problems in the play caused by players playing poorly or a bad call or a mistake by someone. Reggie McKenzie said it best in regards to PFF, “You can never dispel what you see on tape.” Obviously he isn't a fan of PFF.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There’s just something about Boom that impresses the hell out of Kromer, teammates, and Ram fans.

He’s a quiet guy but he misses nothing in meetings, film study, and on the practice field. When quizzed, he always knows his proper assignment. Damn, that was impressive for a rookie.

Another thing. When given snaps in the regular season, Boom looked good. Not pretty good. Not good for a rookie. No, he looked good as if he were a top drawer 5 year vet! Can’t overstate the importance of that.

I think Snead hit a HR with Boom.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know that PFF can be that accurate with their projections unless they used the previous year as their metrics. I can see them ranking the line lower based on that. Two relatively unknowns. But they didn't factor in that those two unknowns should continue to get better as the season progresses. And they have the best bookend tackles in the league to lean on.Not to mention the best line coach.

MauiRam

Rookie
It won't be that long till the pads go on. We,ll be able to see first hand during preseason games who is getting pushed around and who is doing the pushing. I agree with "43" that Boom appears to be solid, and with more reps under his belt, stellar. He is a smart guy, I doubt we will see him doing dumb things after the whistle. With Kromer and Big Whit mentoring him he should continue to improve.

Allen is young, compactly built and extremely powerful. Lest we forget, he's got an impressive wrestling background and therefore an enhanced understanding of the advantge of leverage. I think he will do very well.

https://www.therams.com/news/allen-brings-wrestling-mentality-to-offensive-line-20667743
Allen Brings Wrestling Mentality to Offensive Line
o4i8n9dwhwgkvqwzgpjn.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER
Rookie offensive lineman Brian Allen is a finisher.

Highlights of college offensive lineman aren’t always that fun to watch. But take a look at Allen’s and you’ll see shot after shot of the Michigan State product driving his opponent into the ground.

The 22-year-old offensive lineman said this week that tenacity comes in large part from his history as a wrestler.

“On a wrestling mat it’s one on one, so you have that mentality that it’s kind of you versus them. And people who haven’t played individual sports like that haven’t kind of understood the successes and failures that come with that,” Allen said. “So, any wrestler has that mentality that they can’t lose or it’s on them. Even though it’s a team sport and I approach it as a team sport, you still have the individual battle in the back of your mind.

“If I’m screwing up not only am I going to be mad at myself, but it’s going to affect the team,” Allen continued. “I just take pride in trying to win my individual battles and I think that’s what comes from the wrestling.”

Allen won enough of those battles in college to impress the Rams’ brass into drafting him at No. 111 overall in the fourth round. And with it, Allen kept alive a significant streak — Michigan State has had a player selected in the NFL Draft for 78 consecutive years.

“It did [mean something to me], but at the same time that decision wasn’t up to me, so I just could work as hard as I could,” Allen said. “I didn’t feel any pressure like I had to or what not, it was just something that was going on. I didn’t really think about it too much because it, again, was out of my hands. I didn’t want to really want to worry about that or anything like that. I’m just grateful it happened for our school that we could keep that going.”

One factor that may ease Allen’s transition to the NFL is the offensive lineman’s experience in a pro-style system at Michigan State. That experience gives Allen a bit of an advantage compared to those who come from spread offenses. But Allen isn’t making too much of it.

“We played a pro-style offense there and in the Big Ten, there’s a lot of good guys,” Allen said. “But like anything — jumping from high school to college — the guys are going to get bigger and stronger, speed is going to be a little faster. I’m expecting the same thing here, so just have to get acclimated with that and keep getting better.”

Now that he’s in the building as a Ram, Allen said his first impressions of run game coordinator Aaron Kromer have been positive.

“He’s very hands on and obviously knows what he’s talking about with the guys upfront and the success they’ve had,” Allen said. “Just working with him today and working on the little details and stuff like that was cool to pick up new techniques right away from him. Looking forward to getting a lot better with him as we move forward.”

One way to improve will be to square off against the Rams’ formidable defensive lineman. That can’t happen until training camp in a couple months when the players have on pads. But it’s something Allen is looking forward to.

“A lot of people have said, ‘Yeah, have fun with that,’ or stuff like that. I’m sure I’ll get my butt kicked a time or two here, but again at the end of the day I’m going to learn from that and get better,” Allen said. “If I can get a little better at one area against one of those guys, it’s just going to help me down the road. So, I’m excited for it and it’s something that makes this team better — having guys like that to compete with.”

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
People have heard of pop-rock and pop-culture -- sometimes I get the feeling that PFF is sort of pop-football analysis. IMO, there's nothing wrong with pop-anything, it's just preference.

Look, yeah, it's great to focus and make judgments about a particular unit, it's what fans do. But, 2 things stand out.

(1) Scheme matters. The Rams' constant threat of a screen and the usage of PA + Max protect help pass blocking a lot. Zone blocking and the double teams help run blocking. I didn't see where/how PFF factored scheme into their analysis.

(2) Rams' blocking is a group effort. The Rams use TE, backs and WRs in their blocking schemes. Higbee is big in the run game -- wasn't it the SB where if HIgbee was in the game, it was a run call? Also Higs allows the Rams to slide pass pro and he's usually in there blocking when the Rams go max-protect. People will remember blocks by Brown and Gurley where they put rushers on their ass. I didn't see if/how PFF took any non-OL into account in their analysis.

PFF - it is what it is. People like it, great, w/e.